Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever sent your FOOD back ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
One thing I cannot get behind is tips jars on bars or in coffee shops. They are charging way above cost for all their products, they can forget about a top. Cheeky shits.

i agree with that, but dont understand why not apply the same view to the restaurants? with minimum wage, the practice of tipping to have the order taken and plates ferried seems odd.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
i agree with that, but dont understand why not apply the same view to the restaurants? with minimum wage, the practice of tipping to have the order taken and plates ferried seems odd.

Dunno really!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Can anyone explain why a Service charge is allowed? Ban it and places alter there charges if they wish and carry on. This seems so simple & no disputes, why not?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Indian service as taught to them by us during the Raj.

Just a damed minute there sonny, I get a rude waiter and somehow it's my fault because of the sins of my forefathers ? I think not, my ancestors hail from Italy and were piss poor, none of them were lord-mayoring it over the denzens of the Punjab; they were Hokey-Pokey men selling their wares on Brighton seafront

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
G
I have never got my head round any restaurateur making a fuss or not doing everything in his capability to appease a disgruntled customer who has made a complaint about something or other. The 'customer is always right' mantra is more applicable to the catering industry than any other whether you like it or not.
Maybe I am just a vindictive gossip but I have no problem giving negative feedback to friends about a restaurant that cocked up and didn't deal sufficiently with whatever the problem was. That chat spreads like wildfire and you'd have thought that the management have the wherewithal to know that. Those that don't are in the wrong industry.
In reverse I will go overboard with praise about a restaurant that has come up trumps.

It's that old cliche "enjoy a restaurant, you tell 1 person, not enjoy a restaurant you tell 10" ... Or something like that.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Went for a weekend snowboarding with the wife in a small village called Villard du Lans in France. First night in town saw two restaurants, went to one and it was ok. Saturday night went to a more traditional Savoyard restaurant. Ordered monkfish, over cooked but I said to the wife I can't be arsed to complain. At the end the waitress said "was everything ok" I forgot I wasn't going to say anything but hey! Complained the fish was over done. The chef came out and insisted it wasn't even though he could see the leftovers on my plate. They practically kicked me out saying I had disgraced French cooking and I was wrong! Sunday night the only restaurant open in town was the same one! Decided to look around & it took an hour and a half before we found a tiny little restaurant. Went in and said "do you have a table", the English owner said yes but that is the last word of English he wants to hear. Great night and great food. Bloody French, even the English cook better French food than they do!😋

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Went for a weekend snowboarding with the wife in a small village called Villard du Lans in France. First night in town saw two restaurants, went to one and it was ok. Saturday night went to a more traditional Savoyard restaurant. Ordered monkfish, over cooked but I said to the wife I can't be arsed to complain. At the end the waitress said "was everything ok" I forgot I wasn't going to say anything but hey! Complained the fish was over done. The chef came out and insisted it wasn't even though he could see the leftovers on my plate. They practically kicked me out saying I had disgraced French cooking and I was wrong! Sunday night the only restaurant open in town was the same one! Decided to look around & it took an hour and a half before we found a tiny little restaurant. Went in and said "do you have a table", the English owner said yes but that is the last word of English he wants to hear. Great night and great food. Bloody French, even the English cook better French food than they do!��

Try going into a restaurant and saying "Nous sommes vegeterians". They look at you like "Vous etes le shit off mon shoe"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just a damed minute there sonny, I get a rude waiter and somehow it's my fault because of the sins of my forefathers ? I think not, my ancestors hail from Italy and were piss poor, none of them were lord-mayoring it over the denzens of the Punjab; they were Hokey-Pokey men selling their wares on Brighton seafront

:lolol:

You're absolved of the sin of making people take the rules too literally. Italians have never kept a rule in their lives. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to turn in to Jim Davidson.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Try going into a restaurant and saying "Nous sommes vegeterians". They look at you like "Vous etes le shit off mon shoe"

Not sure about that. I've been vegetarian for 37 years and have done a lot of travelling in Europe (and have been to France just about every year for the past 30); France is not briiliant but it's considerably better than most countries and staff are usually helpful and will rustle up l'omelette or la salade if all else fails.

If you really want a bad reaction to vegetarians, try Germany (outside Berlin or Hamburg), the old east European countries - I once got served got served meat in a meal in a vegetarian restaurant in Prague; Russia, where I lived for a week on pickled cabbage, boiled eggs, bread and vodka; or Spain, where vegetarianism is treated like a disease.

France is a shining light compared to these places. And if you tell a restaurant in advance that you're veggie, you can generally get some fantastic food.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Spain, where vegetarianism is treated like a disease.

Actually saw two or three vegetarian restaurants in Granada this year. Think it's catching on.

My colleague is French, and vegan, which is presumably why he lives in England.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Actually saw two or three vegetarian restaurants in Granada this year. Think it's catching on.

My colleague is French, and vegan, which is presumably why he lives in England.

To be fair, the last time I was in Spain was 16 years ago so things could have got a lot better. And, yes, you can get veggie food in France but it invariably involves cheese or eggs, veganism may be a step too far

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Ah yes, I've been in curry places when the pikeys have been in en masse. Everyone in the place knows they will not pay for the meal and the atmosphere is horrid as the time to pay approaches. Last time was in Surbiton, the do as you likey's were in full effect. The guys running the place called the police, then gave them the bill. Just as they opened their go a to argue the bill the police swooped in, made one of them pay and bundled the whole lot out the door and away. Marvellous.

I heard a similar story regarding a restaurant near Preston. Staff asked a large party of traveller types if all was fine during the meal, which they replied ' yes'. At the end of the meal they refused to pay and created merry hell. One of the other diners intervened and was aggressively told to 'f*ck off', to which he produced a warrant card ordered them to pay. This has no effect until they realised that he was on a night out with dozen or so other colleagues .... They paid the bill and then had two of their number nicked for drink driving. There was also something about an uninsured car. I was always a little wary of such stories but it now has a ring of truth about it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Not sure about that. I've been vegetarian for 37 years and have done a lot of travelling in Europe (and have been to France just about every year for the past 30); France is not briiliant but it's considerably better than most countries and staff are usually helpful and will rustle up l'omelette or la salade if all else fails.

If you really want a bad reaction to vegetarians, try Germany (outside Berlin or Hamburg), the old east European countries - I once got served got served meat in a meal in a vegetarian restaurant in Prague; Russia, where I lived for a week on pickled cabbage, boiled eggs, bread and vodka; or Spain, where vegetarianism is treated like a disease.

France is a shining light compared to these places. And if you tell a restaurant in advance that you're veggie, you can generally get some fantastic food.

I was in Lithgow, Australia about 10 years ago, in a working mens club. They had a carvery/restaurant where there were a load of steaks in a self-service style cabinet; the way it worked was you picked the bit of meat you wanted, took it to along to the chef and he cooked it how you wanted it. He gave it back and you got the veg/spuds etc.
I asked the woman what they had for veggies and from her reaction I might as well have asked her to invent a galactic hyperdrive. In the end I had (very nice and fairly cheap) dinner consisting of roast potatoes, new potatoes, mash & chips. I was offered croutons too.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I once took a girlfriend, 1987 I think, to a swanky French restaurant called L'Amoureuse in Wimbledon. I can't remember what we ordered as starters, but one of the butter pats was concealing a large and very much alive COCKROACH. Needless to say, we sent it back. We, actually, stayed and finished our orders. Alcohol was involved.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I willalways send it back or cancel order if its wrong.. Have been known to throw the food at them as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here