Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ever Seen Us Play Better?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Scanning through there seems to be a bit of history bias :lol:.

For those of us at Wolves the answer is - last week.
For an AMEX game the answer is Spurs.

That's certainly the most comparable what with us being the underdog.

But for me Utd tops that if only because of who was playing for the opposition.

So ever seen us play better - no.

If us Barca, Liverpool and Athletico are an answer to a trivia question - something went very right.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Short answer: No
Longer answer: Nooooooo
Very Long answer: I think at times over the past season or two, we have played almost as well, but without getting the same result. It all clicked on Saturday. And if Mac had managed to get to that chance at 4-0 it would have probably have been the best team goal we have ever scored.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It was the best ever Albion performance in my opinion

It has better than other recent games, due to ...

A 90 minute performance
That we converted our chances, rather than just played well and kept missing
That every player contributed
That we were playing a very good opposition side (I know they've been criticised heavily but they are still well above us and with a psychological edge having beaten us in a lot of previous meetings)

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Saturday's performance the best I've seen since the mid 1960s...beyond anyone's wildest dreams.

Other posters have recalled several of the others that are worth a mention. I'd add Christmas 1978 when it absolutely clicked at Charlton (3-0),Cardiff 5-0 at home on Boxing Day and then just 2-0 - but a high-class game v Newcastle.

After that the snow arrived to halt that purple patch, but promotion still followed a few months later.

Nothing like May 2022 though.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Great thread with lots of fantastic memories! I cannot think we have played better, against such a top opponent for such a large majority of the game - whatever their ailments, they are sitting comfortably above us in the top division!
I remember 7-0 win vs. Charlton (early 80's, Jimmy Case Hat-trick) when we were 5-0 up at half-time. It was genuinely ridiculous, and "tailed off" in the 2nd-half with only 2 more goals.. Jimmy Melia's quote : "we could have beaten Brazil today!".. Beating Norwich 5-0 in the Championship more recently was a dominant display against a relatively good opponent, but they made some horrible errors that gifted us goals.
So for me, with those two great memories added for the collection, Saturday was special. Very Special. Quality of performance and goals.. no set pieces, no penalties, no problem!!
Indeed. I've seen some great Brighton performances over the years, but generally they divide into two categories: Big wins against unremarkable teams, such as the Charlton game as you say, or the 7-0 against Walsall for another example. Or great, against-the-odds, battling results against top sides where we weren't expected to win; 2-1 away to Liverpool in the Cup, or the 1-0 away win at Notts Forest when they were a top side and hadn't lost at home for yonks.

However the Man U game was the only time when both those categories combined: A comprehensive win where we utterly outplayed the opposition, and the opposition being a top side.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great thread with lots of fantastic memories! I cannot think we have played better, against such a top opponent for such a large majority of the game - whatever their ailments, they are sitting comfortably above us in the top division!
I remember 7-0 win vs. Charlton (early 80's, Jimmy Case Hat-trick) when we were 5-0 up at half-time. It was genuinely ridiculous, and "tailed off" in the 2nd-half with only 2 more goals.. Jimmy Melia's quote : "we could have beaten Brazil today!".. Beating Norwich 5-0 in the Championship more recently was a dominant display against a relatively good opponent, but they made some horrible errors that gifted us goals.
So for me, with those two great memories added for the collection, Saturday was special. Very Special. Quality of performance and goals.. no set pieces, no penalties, no problem!!

I was going to suggest that Charlton game probably the best performance I have seen

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought we put in tremendous performances v Leeds and Arsenal earlier this season. Weren't able to put the final touches on those performances with a goal or two, but the general performances were very good.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I remember Walsall 7-0, Peterborough 3-0 and Charlton 4-0, Man City last year 3-2 as highlights of my 58 years, plus a very good performance v Villa in
The early 70.'s, but think Saturday was the best all round display I have ever seen, could and should have been 6/7. The future is bright, the future is Brighton. Just think we have Quite a few players to come back in as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The best is such a pointless exercise.

Just tag as one of the best. Job done!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I seem to recall us putting in some mega performances during the back end of the 2015/16 season as we tried to make up the goal difference on Middlesbrough

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Tottenham 3-0 game at home a few years ago was pretty good as well. Connolly scored 2 and there were great hopes at the time he would become a star player:(

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spurs away a couple of weeks ago was tactically near-perfect for the entire 90 mins, preventing a team that were scoring loads of goals from having a single shot on target. Taking the 1-0 with a late winner doesn’t quite have the same cachet as battering Man U for almost the whole game, and it obviously wasn’t as exciting, but it was actually a better performance for me because Man U are actually quite shite (particularly away) and still had almost as many shots as us.

All subjective of course, but the last month has been epic regardless of your preference :D

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I remember 7-0 win vs. Charlton (early 80's, Jimmy Case Hat-trick) when we were 5-0 up at half-time. It was genuinely ridiculous, and "tailed off" in the 2nd-half with only 2 more goals.. Jimmy Melia's quote : "we could have beaten Brazil today!"!

And it should have been at least 10-0 but if my memory is correct case was taken off after getting his hattrick and Michael Ring who came on, missed a couple of sitters in the second half.

Also recall us being near faultless in knocking City out of the Cup at the Goldstone 4-0 in 1983.

And with everyone getting carried away with the United performance, we need to remember the saves that Sanchez needed to make to keep a clean sheet, whereas the week before at Wolves he was basically a spectator.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Best performance I've ever seen by a Brighton team, certainly.

There have been far bigger games, at four different levels, but I have never seen us so near perfection. It's worth watching it again on Sky, because it's as good if not better than it seemed at the time.
Spot on. I’ve witnessed probably the best Brighton team I’ve seen in 60 years.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
An amazing performance, cant think of better . We would have destroyed most teams on Saturday in that form.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Do we have to compare it to the division we were in at the time? There was a 4 - 0 thrashing of Barnet in the withdean years which resulted in Tony Cottee getting sacked in the morning. Brooker and Jones on the flanks and Zamora and Steele up front. We played some wonderful stuff that year week In week out, albeit at a lower level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here