Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Evan Ferguson

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not necessarily wanting to mix politics and sport, but I recall that poll which showed that Liverpool fans were the second most pro-Remain (after us, of course). Apparently 77% of Liverpool fans voted Remain (BHA was 81%). [Almost inevitably, Chelsea fans were the most supportive of Brexit - idiots!!]
Definitely have a soft spot for Liverpool (and the atmosphere at Anfield on a good day is unbelievable)
Not surprising given the huge support from the EU towards Liverpool's renaissance as a city.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought it was quite funny at the weekend when they launched into their default "f*** the Tories" as they do at every southern club, clearly without much regard for the politics of Brighton (if not Hove or the rest of Sussex).

On that note, I can't stand their club but the one thing I do quite admire is that their songs are almost unfailingly in support of their own team, and not the sort of tedious, pathetic crap that gets belted out by fans of every other club (including ours) when their team is losing, ie "your support is f***ing shit", "football in a library", "xxx is a shithole, I wanna go home" and suchlike. They don't seem to bother with that and I like it very much. I've certainly never heard the piss poor and frankly cringeworthy "We pay your benefits" from them. All they do is sing their own songs. I daresay there's probably a few idiots in the party when they play Man United, but as a general rule, they get behind their own team and that is to their credit.

I wish we'd do the same. Singing songs about the opposition is fine if it's witty or original, but really, does anybody actually find it remotely hilarious to point out that somebody's stadium might have a few too many seats for the number of supporters any more? Really?
Just booked our tickets for "Jimmy Savile he's one of your own" - deep joy.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Living in St Helens I know a lot of Liverpool fans, many who are regulars at Anfield and not just armchair/plastics. Almost without exception they are pretty fair minded. Went to a party the evening after we drew 3-3 there and they were all highly complimentary about Brighton.

.You can get completely wrong impressions about a teams fans from reading Twitter comments, particularly -sadly - from many of those who are based 1000's of miles away.
The vast majority of Liverpool fans are very reasonable, and knowledgable. Football is virtually a religion in the city.
I'm virtually an East Lanc neighbour of yours SJ, living near Leigh.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Living in St Helens I know a lot of Liverpool fans, many who are regulars at Anfield and not just armchair/plastics. Almost without exception they are pretty fair minded. Went to a party the evening after we drew 3-3 there and they were all highly complimentary about Brighton.

.You can get completely wrong impressions about a teams fans from reading Twitter comments, particularly -sadly - from many of those who are based 1000's of miles away.
Apart from Brighton, I know more Liverpool fans than any other team and they are all great people. They are also either ST holders or at least watch the team live a few times a season.

They have also been gracious in defeat this season - it's made a lovely change!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Liverpool city centre is also an incredible night out when the “vibe is right”. Had some of my best ever nights out in Liverpool.

Edit: and the women are really fit

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Irish Independent reports that early prognosis is positive for no long-term absence (apologies if covered above but can be arsed to look through all posts); article claims this is good news for Ireland with Euro 24 campaign starting but cant England pinch him?
Christ on a bike, I don't care where his Mum is from: he's as Irish as a soda bread and Guinness sandwich.

Grealish/ Rice, I have no particular issue with: both were born and have spent their entire lives in England, even if their heritage is Irish on one or both sides and they made appearances for ROI age group sides or in friendlies at a very early stage of their careers. But Ferguson is Irish through and through, and quite rightly will only have thoughts of playing in the emerald green.

From Twitter, he's already being seen as the saviour of Irish football, and they're allowing themselves to get very, very excited about him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Christ on a bike, I don't care where his Mum is from: he's as Irish as a soda bread and Guinness sandwich.

Grealish/ Rice, I have no particular issue with: both were born and have spent their entire lives in England, even if their heritage is Irish on one or both sides and they made appearances for ROI age group sides or in friendlies at a very early stage of their careers. But Ferguson is Irish through and through, and quite rightly will only have thoughts of playing in the emerald green.

From Twitter, he's already being seen as the saviour of Irish football, and they're allowing themselves to get very, very excited about him.
The Irish haven't had a footballing saviour to cheer on since...

...Aaron Connolly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

...Aaron Connolly.
To be fair, many of us had Connolly down as a prospect, so you can't blame the good people of Ireland for thinking the same! The good thing about that is that it's made us all much more cautious about Evan almighty.

I don't even think Connolly's crap, by the way. He's clearly got ability, far far more than any of the dozens of abysmal youth team "strikers" we've produced in the past, but his attitude has never matched. I remain convinced there's a player in there: maybe not a Premier League player, but I think he'll have a career somewhere above League One if- IF- he can steer clear of WAGs, Love Islanders and the bars of West Street.

el punal

...Aaron Connolly.
I thought their saviour was Jackie O’Charlton back in the 1990s. Amazing man who started ‘Find My Ancestor’ and so successful in reuniting grannies in the Old Emerald Isle with their grandchildren in England. Brings a tear to your eye. :drink:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I thought their saviour was Jackie O’Charlton back in the 1990s. Amazing man who started ‘Find My Ancestor’ and so successful in reuniting grannies in the Old Emerald Isle with their grandchildren in England. Brings a tear to your eye. :drink:
Presumably he borrowed the idea from the England cricket and rugby teams :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be fair, many of us had Connolly down as a prospect, so you can't blame the good people of Ireland for thinking the same! The good thing about that is that it's made us all much more cautious about Evan almighty.

I don't even think Connolly's crap, by the way. He's clearly got ability, far far more than any of the dozens of abysmal youth team "strikers" we've produced in the past, but his attitude has never matched. I remain convinced there's a player in there: maybe not a Premier League player, but I think he'll have a career somewhere above League One if- IF- he can steer clear of WAGs, Love Islanders and the bars of West Street.
Connolly is/was better than over 90% of all Albion strikers - ever.

In the unlikely event of us signing Franco Baresi 20 years ago, he wouldn't even be a top 10 all time Albion centre back. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here