Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] EV user advice, please

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
We will be the proud owners of our first EV this week. With our first big road trip (300m) planned for next weekend, I won’t have very long to get used to it and all its needy ways. Would you recommend using an EV journey planner app for recharging stops, or should I just wing it?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Use an app as it will let you know the status of chargers on your route.

My car does it automatically (Tesla) but I’m sure an app would do the same.

I’ve used Zap-Map to find a non-Tesla charger before.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We will be the proud owners of our first EV this week. With our first big road trip (300m) planned for next weekend, I won’t have very long to get used to it and all its needy ways. Would you recommend using an EV journey planner app for recharging stops, or should I just wing it?

Definitely plan the journey with something like zapmap. What car do you have and what is the advertised range?

Plan your journey, factoring in a charge stop (high speed charger) and a coffee break. If you have a fast charging car like a Tesla or Ioniq 5 or EV6 you can get up to 80% in about 20 mins at the fastest chargers.

Also, make sure you have destination charging options where you are going, so you have a way to start your return full.

Do the same on the way back.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Definitely plan the journey with something like zapmap. What car do you have and what is the advertised range?

Plan your journey, factoring in a charge stop (high speed charger) and a coffee break. If you have a fast charging car like a Tesla or Ioniq 5 or EV6 you can get up to 80% in about 20 mins at the fastest chargers.

Also, make sure you have destination charging options where you are going, so you have a way to start your return full.

Do the same on the way back.

An id3 with range of around 200-250. We’ve a charging point at our destination property, so that’s all good. I’ve downloaded zapmap, which is useful. I think. I’m feeling rather nervous, but I’m sure it’ll be fine. It feels a bit like first baby anxiety syndrome.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reading this thread is proof alone for me that electric cars should be resisted for as long as humanly possible.

Range anxiety comes with the smug "saving the planet and fuel" package :lolol:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
What car is it? I have a Tesla and it automatically routes you to a charger if needed.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Reading this thread is proof alone for me that electric cars should be resisted for as long as humanly possible.

Why? I have one and was one of the biggest sceptics... It made sense to purchase one through my company due to the tax breaks. I have a charger at home and can honestly say, I wouldn't go back now. It is so much easier.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

Well no. If more people adopt them then there will be more charging points made available and less need to worry about running out of charge at some point.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It IS the future no denying but I am going to take baby steps and go to a PHEV hybrid first I think. I can't be doing with worrying about where and when I can charge a car on a long distance trip and 90% of my travel needs will be covered by a plug in hybrid. I will want an ICE until the range is increased. The stories about EVs gradually turning things off on a trip to save energy are not a road I want to go down, especially in winter. Cars making decisions for me, no thanks.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=3afa7dfa-02f7-4439-a444-3e512b2faf3c does the trick for me. Can be used all over Europe too. Download to phone by searching ABRP

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Why? I have one and was one of the biggest sceptics... It made sense to purchase one through my company due to the tax breaks. I have a charger at home and can honestly say, I wouldn't go back now. It is so much easier.

Is it though? We will get an Electric car in time but as things stand I know that if I have a 300 mile trip, I can fill up down the road, < 5 mins and then I can get to my destination. On the way back I can do the same. EVs are the future, I'm sure but I'm not sure 'so much easier' is even close to being true.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is it though? We will get an Electric car in time but as things stand I know that if I have a 300 mile trip, I can fill up down the road, < 5 mins and then I can get to my destination. On the way back I can do the same. EVs are the future, I'm sure but I'm not sure 'so much easier' is even close to being true.

When can you refill your ICE car at home overnight?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I have to pass a petrol station within 10 mins wherever I'm going, I don't need to do anything at home. Come on though, let's be honest about it, electric cars right now have some compromises, to pretend that they are 'much easier' would beg the question, why does this thread exist? I'm only pointing out that having a petrol/diesel car right now is a simpler option for almost everyone. They're more expensive to run, to service, they are worse for the environment, all of these things are patently true but it's also, of course, true that they are a simpler option.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005

It is so much easier.. When I did Wolves away last season, stopped at Warwick, Tesla superchager, went in services, something to eat came out, fully charged.... No need to stop on the way home.... I do roughly about 70 miles a day so just plug into my home charger in the evening when I have to and wake up to effectively a full tank... Unplug and go, what can be easier than that?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Or while parked up at Tesco doing your weekly shop?

The infrastructure needed to make EVs just as viable as ICE is getting there, and it's only going to accelerate as more people commit to EVs. I'm seeing more and more of them on the roads, and the current high fuel prices are only going to push the demand for them further (until, of course, a Tory PM is chosen and cuts fuel duty or VAT on fuel significantly as part of their cost-of-living "solution").

I give it 5 years max and we'll be looking at EVs with ICE range and ability to "refill" pretty much as quickly.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It is so much easier.. When I did Wolves away last season, stopped at Warwick, Tesla superchager, went in services, something to eat came out, fully charged.... No need to stop on the way home.... I do roughly about 70 miles a day so just plug into my home charger in the evening when I have to and wake up to effectively a full tank... Unplug and go, what can be easier than that?

Not having to go in to Warwick services for something to eat, not having to plug it in when you get home or unplug it in the morning. I'm not saying you've made a bad choice or anything like that, I'm just saying your claim that it is 'so much easier' doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here