Eurozone Economy Stagnant........

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
*makes note to bounce this thread when you reply to threads about trains, Ed Miliband, Europe, England football team.....

And I'll bounce it myself in 5 years time :smile:

I think you underestimate the strength of anti-German resentment amongst the basket-case economies.

It's irrelevant. Germany OWNS them and they have to dance to Berlin's tune regardless of their resentment. Banco Espirito Santo found this out to their cost recently. It doesn't matter how many mates you have at the Bank of Portugal, when the German organ grinder runs out of patience the music stops playing and there are no free chairs to sit on.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It's irrelevant. Germany OWNS them and they have to dance to Berlin's tune regardless of their resentment. Banco Espirito Santo found this out to their cost recently. It doesn't matter how many mates you have at the Bank of Portugal, when the German organ grinder runs out of patience the music stops playing and there are no free chairs to sit on.

It's very relevant, I'd say. These aren't North European countries we're talking about. They're Southern Europeans with a long history of revolutions, military dictatorships and extremist politics becoming the mainstream. If Germany continues with this economic non-consensus route then I struggle to see how they can maintain political unity within the EU in the future. As Bry Nylon said, the Grand European Adventure has clearly failed. Linking 18 disparate economies to one currency and all that brings with it, and along with 10 other countries pushing through ever closer political union has brought many countries to the brink of bankruptcy and far from its original aim of preventing political extremism in Europe is now accelerating that process in every single EU state.

It's a mess. You can't solve Portugal's problems with the same set of political, economic or legislative tools with which to fix Germany's yet that's precisely what has to happen with the EU as it currently stands.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This included 3 billion euros for submarines that didn't work and were unfit for purpose and that Greece simply didn't need to buy.

I don't know why that amongst a serious well written piece I find the idea of the Greeks having submarines as funny.

'Quick the Turks are preparing to attack, you must get your submarines down there NOW.'
................"...
'Oh avrio avrio'

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't know why that amongst a serious well written piece I find the idea of the Greeks having submarines as funny.

'Quick the Turks are preparing to attack, you must get your submarines down there NOW.'
................"...
'Oh avrio avrio'

Even funnier is that the Greeks found the German-built weapons sub-standard (pun intended).

Vorsprung a leak durch Technik.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Crazy isn't it? Germany has a fantastic balance to its GDP with a healthy mix across Services, high quality Manufacturing, Tech and finance. Yet its inability to establish its own Monetary policy will slowly kill the prosperity.

They are still very much haunted by history on that front .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Even funnier is that the Greeks found the German-built weapons sub-standard (pun intended).

Vorsprung a leak durch Technik.

You don't buy a country, then tool 'it up with working weapons do you? That would be plain silly.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I think that quote right there sums up everything that is wrong with German attitudes to the EU and the Euro. What is good for Germany is good for the whole of the EU and if Germany is doing alright then the EU is doing alright.
There in a nutshell is the reason why Merkel will do all she can in her power to make sure the EU remains. Wether that is the best for rest of Europe is irrelevant. As long as Germany remains in control and let's face it they are,the rest of us will have to lump it.
Until a referendum perhaps?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports