Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Eurovision Song Contest 2024 - Official thread

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
1707750077330.jpeg

Looks like Barco will be away at a crucial time of the season then.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not a test as such, as currently have 537* ignored threads so it's working alright

*now 538
Ooh, I thought I was prolific with 236* ignored threads. Fantastic feature. Would be interesting to see some stats.

*now 237, obvs.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The Spanish entry has caused quite a stir over here due the title and language. It's called Zorra, which means vixen but also slut. The lyrics go something like "If I go out alone, I'm a slut. If I'm having fun, I'm even sluttier."

It's obviously a bit of middle finger to male chauvinists and an attempt to reclaim the word. Predictably, the right wing press and politicians are clutching their pearls and declaring it a national embarrassment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Spanish entry has caused quite a stir over here due the title and language. It's called Zorra, which means vixen but also slut. The lyrics go something like "If I go out alone, I'm a slut. If I'm having fun, I'm even sluttier."

It's obviously a bit of middle finger to male chauvinists and an attempt to reclaim the word. Predictably, the right wing press and politicians are clutching their pearls and declaring it a national embarrassment.

papachris

In Estonia, (eesti laul) which is the competition to find this year's entrant has it's final on 17th February. There is one that I like that is very different to the usual boring ballads etc. Hopefully it wins eesti laul then I will post it here for you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Read about that - seems a bit of a storm in a teacup. On the other hand, there are threats of boycotts because of another competing country ( who isn't in Europe anyway ! ) and it isn't Russia.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Too soon? A good test of the 'ignore thread' feature?

Anyway, here's Windows95man...

I like Cha Cha Cha from 2023, still listen to it. Not quite sure what the f*** that is for 2024, but it's a solid no from me.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Too soon? A good test of the 'ignore thread' feature?

Anyway, here's Windows95man...

Good to see Jurgen Klopp lining up his next career, though

papachris

In Estonia, (eesti laul) which is the competition to find this year's entrant has it's final on 17th February. There is one that I like that is very different to the usual boring ballads etc. Hopefully it wins eesti laul then I will post it here for you.

The act I was talking about did win Eesti Laul last night and will represent Estonia this year

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nul points

Between Estonia (above post) and Croatia for me.

I only managed to get about 30 seconds in, I just can’t stand it. He is doing that extremely annoying modern pop singer thing with his vowels, “flow-errrrs” ala Billie Eilish and the rest. It sounds incredibly forced. It’s like an American affectation and bloody everywhere in modern pop music.

I know this style is in fashion, and popular with young people, so perhaps it will do okay. Probably won’t listen to the full thing until Eurovision night.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I only managed to get about 30 seconds in, I just can’t stand it. He is doing that extremely annoying modern pop singer thing with his vowels, “flow-errrrs” ala Billie Eilish and the rest. It sounds incredibly forced. It’s like an American affectation and bloody everywhere in modern pop music.

I know this style is in fashion, and popular with young people, so perhaps it will do okay. Probably won’t listen to the full thing until Eurovision night.
My main issue is it just doesn’t seem to go anywhere. Verse and chorus meekly bleed into each other and it’s all just a bit flat. But what do I know, as you say let’s see what the kids make of it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My main issue is it just doesn’t seem to go anywhere. Verse and chorus meekly bleed into each other and it’s all just a bit flat. But what do I know, as you say let’s see what the kids make of it.
I feel much the same.

It's not bad per se, just a bit meh. Needs a bit more oomph, for want of a better phrase.

I acknowledge, though, that I'm not the target audience.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The worst thing about our song is that everyone on TV & radio who plays it and then has to interview Olly has to say how good the song is when deep down they must be thinking "what the heck".
Sadly it's got zero written all over it.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Read about that - seems a bit of a storm in a teacup. On the other hand, there are threats of boycotts because of another competing country ( who isn't in Europe anyway ! ) and it isn't Russia??

Who? Australia was just a joke and would be hard to top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here