Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Eurovision - Liverpool To Host In 2023

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
:lolol:

I think the point I'm trying to make is that a hell of a lot of English music is loved in Asia, despite not understanding the lyrics (or perhaps even the language), whereas it doesn't appear to work both ways.

Surely, that brings it down to the quality of the music itself, rather than a language issue?

I can't believe you haven't heard of:

1. 'Our great leader is wearing a lovely blue tunic'
2. 'Our three gorges dam project is the greatest civil engineering scheme in the world'
3. 'Our cormorants catch more fish than yours'

Get a life, will you.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I fully agree about sales being no guarantee of quality, but I do think that your suggestion that the language it's sung in is the main reason, rather than just being 'good music', which (imo of course), is the overriding factor.

Yes I definitely think it is the main reason. Most people only (or at least usually) listen to music they understand. IMO there is 0% chance The Beatles (though they might still have been somewhat popular) would be the best selling band of all time if Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was called Ensomt hjertes klubbband, with songs like Lucy på himmelen med diamanter and Med litt hjelp fra vennene mine.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Yes I definitely think it is the main reason. Most people only (or at least usually) listen to music they understand. IMO there is 0% chance The Beatles (though they might still have been somewhat popular) would be the best selling band of all time if Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was called Ensomt hjertes klubbband, with songs like Lucy på himmelen med diamanter and Med litt hjelp fra vennene mine.

I love Björk's music, yet I barely understand a word she's saying.

Also, you are grossly underestimating the quality of the songs themselves - melody counts (at least) as much as the lyrics - whichever language they might be sung in.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The UK has 4 of the top ten best selling music artists of all time and over 20 in the top hundred.

But, of course, historic achievements don't get you points at Eurovision.

Again, it's no coincidence that Sam Ryder and his song have links to Ed Sheeran and Dua Lipa - who, along with Adele, are the UK's best-performing pop artists in 2022.

So, yes, we are trying to win, rather than throwing bland crap out and arrogantly expecting to. And, thank God, because it was getting humiliating.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Also, you are grossly underestimating the quality of the songs themselves - melody counts (at least) as much as the lyrics - whichever language they might be sung in.

Yeah and her most globally popular songs has been in English with the Icelandic ones being less popular, weird coincidence.

I think you are underestimating the impact of intelligibility and PR. Obviously quality and melody has some impact, but its not the main things.

But yeah I'm heading out so lets just agree to disagree. I'll stick with my viewpoint that ABBA is not the only non-English band making better melodies or whatever than Jay-Z, and that language has a lot to do with record sales.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeah and her most globally popular songs has been in English with the Icelandic ones being less popular, weird coincidence.

I think you are underestimating the impact of intelligibility and PR. Obviously quality and melody has some impact, but its not the main things.

But yeah I'm heading out so lets just agree to disagree. I'll stick with my viewpoint that ABBA is not the only non-English band making better melodies or whatever than Jay-Z, and that language has a lot to do with record sales.
Reminds me of this….

https://youtu.be/wFmiopDFLNc

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I and many of my chums frequently listen to music from all over the globe. I can understand most of the french stuff, a bit of the Scandinavian stuff though Wardruna has me stumped :)

I think a lot pf people listen to global music. Minds are open in this house.

As for English language music being most popular in the world? Millions of Koreans, Hindi’s, Sikhs, Muslims and a fair number of Chinese would disagree.

I guess it’s hard to understand the world when you sit on a computer in your bedroom thinking you understand the world.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Booker T and the MG's anyone?

Lots of euro trash and British stuff gets recorded in several languages, 99 red balloons, Denis, I think the Beatles did some French versions.

I can play bass in Italian English French and Gaelic :lolol:

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Ummm....I didn't realise it was him. I thought "OMG who is that fella doing a shocking Mika impression". Singing live without auto-tuning I suspect!

Mostly click track I'm afraid. Parts were live. His new song was terrible

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
99 Luftballons was originally a German song (by a German band), with 99 Red Balloons an English language reworking.

Yes and people should be legally required to know this. Any time someone plays the English version, I go apeshit.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Yes and people should be legally required to know this. Any time someone plays the English version, I go apeshit.

The original German language version was a hit in the USA. The English version is not well known over there. Same in Australia. There was only one country deemed too chauvinistic / anti German to buy the original.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The original German language version was a hit in the USA. The English version is not well known over there. Same in Australia. There was only one country deemed too chauvinistic / anti German to buy the original.

Good to hear though somewhat surprised that the Americans accepted the existence of foreign languages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here