[Music] Eurovision - Liverpool To Host In 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Amazing what a social media star with a fanbase across Europe can do with Dua Lipa's management and producer, and a song created with an Ed Sheeran co-writer (Thinking Out Loud etc).

Think we might have cracked the formula here. :thumbsup:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Amazing what a social media star with a fanbase across Europe can do with Dua Lipa's management and producer, and a song created with an Ed Sheeran co-writer (Thinking Out Loud etc).

Think we might have cracked the formula here. [emoji106]
I thought.

1) Write an Elton John type melody from the 1970s

2) Write the lyrics about space to make it completely timeless whilst adding to the songbook started by Bowie and Elton John.

3) Give it a Queen type production with a Brian May like solo and harmonies.

4) For good measure add some Oasis like (Beatles like) sweeping orchestrations.

5) Finally get a former Heavy Metal singer with a huge social media presence and an extraordinary voice to sing it.

We should really be winning this every year.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I haven't watched Eurovision for years and I didn't really watch this one, but.........

It's not on my radar at all but not much is on my radar at the moment spending hours in hospital with an ill relative. Added to that I've just moved and only got the telly / internet up and running.

I came in on Saturday, cooked some food and slumped in front of the telly. Somewhat randomly I turned on BBC just before the UK entry.

I was mildly confused that there was a heavy metal looking singer pumping out a relatively good, very British pop song in a cage and "Europe" was lapping it up.

I turned on again a bit later for the voting.

I've caught up on the whole back story today by the way.

Quite marvellous that the best song / performance came second so there is a small chance that the competition could be held in Ukraine next year and what an event that could be.

I really hate this type of entertainment but found the whole story of yesterday quite life-affirming and Simon Cowell wasn't involved.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset

A sandal wearing white man with long hair, a beard and millions of followers? ... certainly a tried and tested formula.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

However, us trying in Eurovision does feel a bit like Tuchel picking Premier League players to avoid U23 relegation. The UK has 4 of the top ten best selling music artists of all time and over 20 in the top hundred. The Australians sneak into the top twenty with a band that were over 50% Scottish emigres, and have another couple of acts lower down the list, also all born in the UK. Ireland has one in the mid twenties, and one just below the top hundred. However, half of its most successful act were born in England. Sweden has a one in the top thirty, Spain has one in the 60s and France one in the lower reaches of the top hundred. Every other country in the competition is nowhere.

Us picking our musical equivalent of Trevoh Chalobah seems a bit like bullying the little kids. If we want to do that, we should be more obvious and every year, just send a tribute act as a power move.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
However, us trying in Eurovision does feel a bit like Tuchel picking Premier League players to avoid U23 relegation. The UK has 4 of the top ten best selling music artists of all time and over 20 in the top hundred. The Australians sneak into the top twenty with a band that were over 50% Scottish emigres, and have another couple of acts lower down the list, also all born in the UK. Ireland has one in the mid twenties, and one just below the top hundred. However, half of its most successful act were born in England. Sweden has a one in the top thirty, Spain has one in the 60s and France one in the lower reaches of the top hundred. Every other country in the competition is nowhere.

Us picking our musical equivalent of Trevoh Chalobah seems a bit like bullying the little kids. If we want to do that, we should be more obvious and every year, just send a tribute act as a power move.

No doubt there is brilliant English music - lots of it - but rather than some musical superiority, the fact that English is the most spoken language in the world has some effect on these top lists. You think Elton John would have sold 300 million records if he was doing the exact same music but singing in Norwegian?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
No doubt there is brilliant English music - lots of it - but rather than some musical superiority, the fact that English is the most spoken language in the world has some effect on these top lists. You think Elton John would have sold 300 million records if he was doing the exact same music but singing in Norwegian?

1.5 billion English speakers.
1.3 billion Chinese speakers.

Surely there should be almost as many great songs sung in Chinese?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
1.5 billion English speakers.
1.3 billion Chinese speakers.

Surely there should be almost as many great songs sung in Chinese?

And there might be... sales does not equal good music. I refuse to accept that Justin Bieber is the 20th best musician to walk this earth.

but if we take Elton John as an example, when he started out half of the Chinese population were illiterate peasants mainly concerned about survival and historically they've not exactly been encouraged to interact with the rest of the world.

Either way, my point remains the same. If any of those on the top 10 list sang in a language spoken by less than 10 million people, they would not be on that list.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
And there might be... sales does not equal good music. I refuse to accept that Justin Bieber is the 20th best musician to walk this earth.

but if we take Elton John as an example, when he started out half of the Chinese population were illiterate peasants mainly concerned about survival and historically they've not exactly been encouraged to interact with the rest of the world.

Either way, my point remains the same. If any of those on the top 10 list sang in a language spoken by less than 10 million people, they would not be on that list.

I fully agree about sales being no guarantee of quality, but I do think that your suggestion that the language it's sung in is the main reason, rather than just being 'good music', which (imo of course), is the overriding factor.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Well, that's pretty conclusive then.

:lolol:

I think the point I'm trying to make is that a hell of a lot of English music is loved in Asia, despite not understanding the lyrics (or perhaps even the language), whereas it doesn't appear to work both ways.

Surely, that brings it down to the quality of the music itself, rather than a language issue?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports