Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Eurovision - Liverpool To Host In 2023

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Somewhat sadly I was recording the public votes in a spreadsheet and deducting them from what was going to be allocated (2,320 points) so I knew it was game over when Ukraine's points came in.

As you say - a remarkable tally that won't be repeated.

Well, not unless Putin turns his attentions to another country anyway.

Astonishing

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone else think that Sam Ryder has a very similar voice to Demis Roussos?

My posting that Aphrodite's Child track on the wtbsyht thread appears to have warped you mind :lolol:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Good result for UK and at least saved this thread from UK bashing by the usual suspects [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

and it scotches the idea the rest of Europe hates us

our past entries were just shit

D

Deleted member 2719

Nothing to do with the song fella, it was all political.

I just posted this on another thread: As you may have seen I am prepared to fly the Europe flag, because they have understood at last the Brits and Boris are supporting Ukraine, it was never personal that we left them, we can work with them under our own rules.

God bless macron.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just goes to show, get a decent song and someone who can deliver a superb live vocal and we do well.

As it was in 2009 with Jade Ewen, so it was last night with Sam Ryder.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Well that Ukraine score has changed things up just a bit.

Still, if we finish 2nd in the current circumstances, it'll have been a great performance.

Effectively winners on another night at another time.

Not necessarily.

If, for instance, we accept that maybe 250 televotes would not normally have gone to Ukraine (just a guess, nothing scientific), then they would have gone elsewhere. Spain got 40-odd more televotes than UK, and were in the end only seven points behind. So, if that (say) 250 were distributed amongst the other countries to roughly the same percentages - then Spain could well have got seven or more points than the UK in that breakdown.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Eurovision

One country voted us first (Malta) and another renowned European country voted us second (Israel).

The judging panels handed us 2nd place but us usual, Politics affected our position 100% because we had the best song but only just made 4th place in the popular vote. This is a competition we can never win again.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Interesting that every nation's fans gave Ukraine at least 7 points, but that none of the Former Yugoslavians states gave them a 12 or their neeighbours Albania and Greece. Coincidentally, the juries of those countries gave the UK some of our worst scores.

Weirdly, the juries of Ukraine's neighbours gave them 12 points, but 0 points from Estonia. Maybe they didn't get the memo?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The 2023 hosting issue will be very interesting. Will Eurovision try and do it from Kiev, or will they give it to the UK as runners-up? If so, will Borus hijack the decision and give it to Belfast to promote the Union?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Somewhat sadly I was recording the public votes in a spreadsheet and deducting them from what was going to be allocated (2,320 points) so I knew it was game over when Ukraine's points came in.

As you say - a remarkable tally that won't be repeated.

Well, not unless Putin turns his attentions to another country anyway.

Get your money in Poland to win it next year then

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting that every nation's fans gave Ukraine at least 7 points, but that none of the Former Yugoslavians states gave them a 12 or their neeighbours Albania and Greece. Coincidentally, the juries of those countries gave the UK some of our worst scores.

Weirdly, the juries of Ukraine's neighbours gave them 12 points, but 0 points from Estonia. Maybe they didn't get the memo?

Weird?

Entirely predictable.

The former states of Yugoslavia are ethnically slavic. It’s all about blood in the balkans and they are from the same tribe as the most Russians.

Albania are are not Slavs and Greece’s former Yugoslavic neighbours really don’t like them, just like Turkey (see disagreements over Cyprus and Macedonia).

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
just goes to show, put some effort in and enter a decent song and we'll do alright

need to get over this "no one votes for us because they don't like us" mentality. We've entered some utter dogshit in recent years and deserved to do poorly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here