Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eurosport and Discovery channels potentially being removed from Sky from 1st Feb

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. And sorry to repeat myself but make your own high quality programmes, get people on the service to watch them and optionally flog them off afterwards.

Unless you are Netflix or Amazon in which case you can get them to the viewers yourself.

Linear channels are on the decline. It's gonna be years but that's the reality.

To broadcast linear over satellite you have to put huge bits of infrastructure in place and the cost of sending the signal is huge.

With the internet you are going over someone else's infrastructure and the end customer is paying for it.

You get rid of the scheduling element, viewers are quite happy to pick their own stuff.

It's add more complication with the need to supply nice images, cast lists and synopsis to the viewers etc.. But it's cheaper.

The money you save you throw into making less programmes better.

It's just the change in viewing habits, the technology is also changing everything.

Eventually Sky dishes will only be needed in a few places where broadband isn't available.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2003
They're obviously trying to give you the authentic American TV viewing experience.

Opening scene
Ad break
Opening credits
Ad break
Another scene
Ad break
Build up of suspense
Ad break
Further build up of suspense
Ad break
Almost all all of the final scene
Ad break
Last few seconds followed by closing credits
Ad break

You have missed out the bits they have to put in as the average viewer is only expected to have a 10 minute attention span. Start programme with 'previously on', then tease what is coming up, show a bit of the programme, tease the next bit, ad break, recap, show a bit more, repeat as many times as you can squeeze adverts in.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I genuinely think Sky know better than most broadcasters why people watch their service and why.

I'd also suggest they would rather use the money to pump into their original programmes.

Sorry to say but dropping a load of linear channels merely accelerates their longer term plans.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

I dont know mate, I hope this is just posturing between the two as I would certainly miss the awesome documentaries on The History Chanel and light shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers, also I dont know many people who watch shows like 'The Last Dragon Slayer' or Delicious.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here