[Football] EUROs: Multi-country format

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Corrected for you for accuracy!

The kosovans are 90% muslamic, imagination is needed to get an Ijara from their desert dwelling brethren holding the WC.

I don’t know what “it’s coming home is in Albanian” but if it possible for the Qataris to stuff the back pockets of FIFA officials with money, I reckon the Albanians in Kosovo will have a few tricks of their own.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is a middel ground that would be regional hosts. For example, an Iberian tournament, a British Isles or a Scandinavian one. Then it would be possible for countries with less infrastructure than France and Germany (who seem to get every other tournament).

France has hosted the Euros twice in the 50 years. Germany only once.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Oh really? Glad I qualified my comment. I curse the podcast I got that tidbit from.

Well that makes the decision even more bizarre for me.
You may not be completely wrong as some of the venue's have been rejigged because of Covid ie Dublin was originally a host but no longer.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There is a middel ground that would be regional hosts. For example, an Iberian tournament, a British Isles or a Scandinavian one. Then it would be possible for countries with less infrastructure than France and Germany (who seem to get every other tournament).

I wouldn't meddle with that mode. come up with a model don't be mean, use a median then award the medals accordingly.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's not their fault they have good grounds and infrastructure. Oh.
Six tournaments in 50 years between two major nations is hardly a cartel. It just means that one of them has managed to get one twice.

Unfortunately for England their World Cup bids came at the wrong time. I think we may get Euro 2028, even though we got the main prize this year.

Problem is there are so many options now. But Germany has agreed to back England.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's a clever idea, and I think there might be some merit with the new expanded tournament to having more multi-country bids (I know we have had them in the past but going forward it opens the scope for more). I don't think it's been anything like the failure I envisaged it being when it was announced, but it will be interesting to see whether teams who have had to travel a lot start to struggle. For example, Scotland only travel Glasgow to London to Glasgow, whereas Sweden have to go from Seville to St Petersburg, and Wales Baku to Rome.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Not a fan. I have no problem when two neighbouring countries share hosting, but this was a bit crazy and not fair on certain nations. Even if England got a good deal out of it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Six tournaments in 50 years between two major nations is hardly a cartel. It just means that one of them has managed to get one twice.

Unfortunately for England their World Cup bids came at the wrong time. I think we may get Euro 2028, even though we got the main prize this year.

Problem is there are so many options now. But Germany has agreed to back England.

I tihnk they should do group stages in parks, with jumpers for goal posts. We'd win the bid no sweat.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Not a fan. I have no problem when two neighbouring countries share hosting, but this was a bit crazy and not fair on certain nations. Even if England got a good deal out of it.

I suppose we can balance it out a little by remembering England haven’t hosted an international tournament for what, 25 years? So we’re due a bit of home advantage.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just hope Uefa are not unofficially counting this as one of our turns

All feels a bit disjointed. Miss the fun racial stereo types in the opening credits when the tournament is one country only

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I suppose we can balance it out a little by remembering England haven’t hosted an international tournament for what, 25 years? So we’re due a bit of home advantage.

That may continue. The joint bid thing is popular now and there are a lot of nations who want a first go.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As regular Euros & WC attendee mixed feelings - even if travelling to 1 country then following a tournament is expensive, takes a lot of time to arrange - with the prospect of flights between countries this tournament always 'concerned' me a bit. But that said I feel a bit cheated with the potential of all but 1 game perhaps being in London.

Personally I'd rather we stick with 1 or 2 country bids.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Haven’t other countries have hosted twice in this time frame?

England won’t be hosting for a good while that’s for sure. FIFA/UEFA rejected our attempts to host a few times.

Germany & France have both hosted Euros and WC within 20 years. (Germany 2006 / 2024) (France 1996 / 2016)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
No problem with the idea as a one off but not to hold it solely in one country during the Covid pandemic seems ludicrous to me. Trust UEFA!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports