Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] EUROs: Multi-country format

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Now we've had a full round of Group games, what's the view on the multi-country format, as opposed to the traditional single host? (I'm sure there is a good reason for this format but I've forgotten what it is. Is it sharing the cost so no one nation was over-burdened?)

I quite like the idea of just one country hosting a summer tournament as it gives the event a more homogonous feel and an identity - as opposed to it being scattered far and wide over the continent; but I supose with no / limited fan numbers, it probably doesn't make much of a difference this time. The only real clanger has been the selection of that stadium in Baku. Hard to think of a venue less suited for football. It felt like the teams were playing on the surface of the moon.

Do we go back to one host for the next EUROs - or is this how it will be from now? I could look all this up, but frankly NSC is always quicker and more interesting.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I like idea as a one-off (it was for the 60th amniversary of the Euros btw), but to do it in the current circumstances is mad.

Back to normal next time - Euro 2024 will be in Germany.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Great thinking by UEFA - just what Europe needs now is this super-spreader extravaganza. As a armchair fan watching on TV it makes not a scrap of difference - I can't even tell (nor do I care much) if the crowd noises are real or the fake ones we've been fed all season.
Somebody obviously thought it was a good ideas. I have absolutely no idea why.

The logical thing would be to hold the next Euros in the country of the winners of the previous tournament, but I suppose that would take the decision (and the power and the brown envelopes) away from the suits, and they'd never agree to that.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It should be in just one or two countries. The downside with expanding it to 24 teams is that only five or so nations in Europe could possibly host it on their own, not quite sure how this is supposed to be solved in the future.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not sure that makes a difference unless you're there.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
It should be in just one or two countries. The downside with expanding it to 24 teams is that only five or so nations in Europe could possibly host it on their own, not quite sure how this is supposed to be solved in the future.

There is a middel ground that would be regional hosts. For example, an Iberian tournament, a British Isles or a Scandinavian one. Then it would be possible for countries with less infrastructure than France and Germany (who seem to get every other tournament).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
There is a middel ground that would be regional hosts. For example, , a British Isles one. Then it would be possible for countries with less infrastructure than France and Germany (who seem to get every other tournament).

I'm sure The Bowl (cap 3,000) on The Isle Of Man will be looking forward to hosting a game or two.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
To be honest I did not know that this was the set up, I also did not know that Wembley was one of the stadiums, I also did not know that Wembley is going to host the final.
Apart from that I am right up for this tournament.
It seems crazy to have nut head football fans travelling when advised not to just to watch a match.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Several countries, including England, are playing all their group games at home. That strikes me as very unfair.

I hope this never happens again. I like tournaments to have an identity, and this one doesn't have one.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Could be wrong. I thought the multi country format was decided as no country was in a position to commit as hosts due to the Covid situation.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There is a middel ground that would be regional hosts. For example, an Iberian tournament, a British Isles or a Scandinavian one. Then it would be possible for countries with less infrastructure than France and Germany (who seem to get every other tournament).

Sure, and I think this is the future though some nations are not going to happy if say five teams (in your case England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland) doesnt have to go through qualification. But maybe nowadays with 24 teams instead of 16, FAs across Europe might feel less bad about it.

Will be interesting to see who gets the 2028 tournament. Italy is probably a good guess.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Several countries, including England, are playing all their group games at home. That strikes me as very unfair.

I hope this never happens again. I like tournaments to have an identity, and this one doesn't have one.

When the penny dropped this is what I thought.
A lot of home games going on, but is every country getting at least 1 home game?
The amount England are getting seems very unfair but alas the fact that the final is at Wembley will not affect us as we will go out at the first knock out game, we don't have what it takes to progress to quarter or semi finals, but we are a good young team that will get the experience needed to win these tournaments.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As someone suggested on a football podcast, having a lot of teams playing at home makes the group games feel like an extension of qualifying rounds, if that makes sense.

Fine as a one off but much prefer it in one country, gives the tournament a more specific flavour and personality.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

Agree with this.

I understand the celebration and Hungary’s stadium looks brand new and very impressive.

Generally very large stadia and gets lots of countries involved.

But.......

It’s amazing how many differences there are in the playing surfaces. The Wembley pitch looks incredible but Seville looked scorched, dry and too long.

I’d be interested about the environmental impact with needless long haul flights but very few fans travelling. Surely UEFA and FIFA make enough money out of these events to have a conscience about these things to carbon offset them and get rid of single use plastics. Nothing on the app that I can find.

It’s so spread out and certain countries seem to have got “home status.” We got the best of this, probably because of Wembley. Do you pay for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

You will find out in just over a year.

The WC will have more teams and will be played out in a single country smaller in area than the Falkland Islands and with a population about the size of the conurbation of Birmingham.

There’s no reason why the next Euros couldn’t be hosted entirely in Kosovo. They just need the imagination of the Qataris.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
You will find out in just over a year.

The WC will have more teams and will be played out in a single country smaller in area than the Falkland Islands and with a population about the size of the conurbation of Birmingham.

There’s no reason why the next Euros couldn’t be hosted entirely in Kosovo. They just need the money of the Qataris.

Corrected for you for accuracy!

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Surely this is a step up from the usual unfairness of just one country having all of their games at home?

That said, I completely agree, albeit I'd throw in all the environmental objections as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here