Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] European half and half scarves

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
On arrival at the AEK match i saw several of these scarves and assumed it was the usual rogue traders down by the station etc.
However when i popped into the shop i was surprised to see they were official Albion products and at the Liverpool game they were joined in the shop by the Marseille and Ajax versions. Personally i do not like them even as a souvenir of our European matches and would hate to see them on a regular basis but maybe that is just me.
Apologies if this has already been mentioned in another thread but as i had not seen it anywhere i was curious to know what others were feeling about them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t understand why people still think that these half and half scarfs are worn because of some odd allegiance to both teams - they are a souvenir of that particular match and that’s all.
On mainland Europe some clubs have what are called “friendship clubs” and you’ll see fans of these clubs wearing half-and-half scarves e.g. Hertha BSC and Karlsruhe.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I don’t understand why people still think that these half and half scarfs are worn because of some odd allegiance to both teams - they are a souvenir of that particular match and that’s all.
Just to clarify i see them as two things :-
One is, as you rightly say, a souvenir of a SPECIAL occasion (but just how special does that have to be?)
Secondly a mass produced rip off that street sellers can sell to both sets of fans and/or tourists (a cover-all if you like)
I just do not like them but certainly see more worth in the first variant than the second.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Couple of tourists from a certain country (Mitoma) had the usual plastic bags stuffed full of shirts and goodies, probably paid his wages for that day, but now you mention it they had a half & half Liverpool scarf that must also have come from the store.
Obviously the club have realised that there is a trade for them.
Whilst I've never purchased one I can see why tourists do buy them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As I mentioned on a different thread, my Mum was taken to the AEK game. She had her credit card with her, and went on a bit of a spending spree in the club shop.

Various great grandchildren got various shirts, stuffed toys etc.

She bought me, a t-shirt, 3 sizes too big, and an Albion AEK half and half scarf.

So, 1 of my grandsons will be getting a Albion AEK half and half scarf that they won’t be allowed to wear when they see their great grandmother.😂😂

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just ordered my Brighton-Ajax HALF/HALF scarf as a momento. Can't waste valuable ale time tonight in the club shop.

Happy days.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Ooo yer I want the half and half scarf for this one. If I arrive around 7 at stadium I'm guessing I shouldn't have a problem getting one ?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I have the Brighton vs Doncaster Rovers one from the first game at the Amex. Not planning on getting any more.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I dislike them BUT, for kids as a memento of a special game, like tonight, which they can hang on their wall I have no issues (as long as bought from the club and not the pikies outside the ground)
In the old days I would agree wholeheartedly with this, however in an era where I'm spending thousands of pounds on top of my season season ticket on food and drink, merchandise and tickets for my kids, and the club are paying 6-figure-a-week salaries, I'm not going to feel guilty about depriving them of £15 for a scarf by buying an unofficial one.

On the scarves in general, I wouldn't go near the domestic ones but for international football and European football I think they're great. My son got one at the AEK game and every moron who decided to make a comment to him about it being "plastic" (a surprisingly large amount of people given he's EIGHT) just demonstrated to me a complete lack of understanding of European football and Brighton's place in it.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
In the old days I would agree wholeheartedly with this, however in an era where I'm spending thousands of pounds on top of my season season ticket on food and drink, merchandise and tickets for my kids, and the club are paying 6-figure-a-week salaries, I'm not going to feel guilty about depriving them of £15 for a scarf by buying an unofficial one.

On the scarves in general, I wouldn't go near the domestic ones but for international football and European football I think they're great. My son got one at the AEK game and every moron who decided to make a comment to him about it being "plastic" (a surprisingly large amount of people given he's EIGHT) just demonstrated to me a complete lack of understanding of European football and Brighton's place in it.
Agreed. Think it's great as it's Ajax and will wear it tonight!!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I remember one girl wearing a half Brighton half Arsenal shirt in the cup game Ulloa debut, best part of a £120 cut in half and sewn together. My heart sank a bit that day as it obvious we had attracted plastic morons with the opening of the Amex.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Ooo yer I want the half and half scarf for this one. If I arrive around 7 at stadium I'm guessing I shouldn't have a problem getting one ?
Plenty in the club shop

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here