Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] European experience amongst the squad

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I’m sure it’s been noted in various threads but wanted to call out the fairly clear strategy from the club to bring in players who are used to playing in European competition, this summer:

Milner
Dahoud
Verbruggen
Igor
Adingra (if you count returning loanees)

All have very recent, and in some cases significant experience playing in Europe. The only first team summer signing who hasn’t is Joao Pedro.

This is obviously seen as pretty important to have a strong core of the squad who are used to the frequent travel involved and general demands of playing twice a week and against teams with very different styles, facilities and atmospheres.

When you throw in the likes of Lallana, Welbeck and Veltman, some stato out there might have a fun time working out the total number of apps in Europe our squad have accumulated throughout their careers, before we ourselves actually make our debut.

For an idea, I thought Dahoud’s 43 appearances in Europe seemed impressive before checking Milner’s total of.. 128.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I'm sure Welbeck has experience

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Was part of what made me wonder if they’d try and hang on to Zeqiri for similar reasons

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think some of the South American lads who are used to long flights mid season will also adapt quickly too. One of the commentators in the Brentford game made the point that in the Prem the opposition know us and can prepare but some of the European sides will be unprepared and it could be carnage.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm sure Welbeck has experience
41 appearances in Europe.
almost a team

Verbruggen
Veltman, Igor Julio, Estupinan, Milner
Lallana, Dahoud, Gllmour (at a stretch)
Adingra, Welbeck , Zeqiri

PS : zeqiri isn’t in RDZ plans for 23/24.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here