Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

EUROPA League

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
BBC SPORT | Football | Europe | Uefa Cup given new name in revamp

All hail, the new European CASH generator.....

_45054171_uefa_europa_226.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The new-look league will have 48 clubs in 12 groups of four, with teams playing each other home and away as opposed to just once as it stands now. The top two in each group then join the eight third-placed Champions League clubs in a 32-club knock-out stage.

So a team can finish 4th in their domestic League, 3rd in their Champions League group, and drop into a 32 club knockout stage for the "UEFA EUROPA" Cup. Doesn't get any more two-bob than that really, does it ?

Well, it does if you finish nowhere in your League and just qualify for the UEFA Europa through being NICE I suppose.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I think it's a great idea, whilst the UEFA Cup is the Champions Leagues poorer, uglier sister it still holds some appeal and the re-branding may invigorate fresh life into the competition and make it a genuine rival to the best inter-continental club competitions in the World. It will bring this historic competition into the 21st Century.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well I, for one, cannot WAIT to watch Legia Warsaw up against Skonto Riga in that pivotal 5th game in the group stages to see who can go through to meet the likes of Rosenborg in the knockout stages of the Europa Cup over two legs.

Bring. It. On.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I think it's a great idea, whilst the UEFA Cup is the Champions Leagues poorer, uglier sister it still holds some appeal and the re-branding may invigorate fresh life into the competition and make it a genuine rival to the best inter-continental club competitions in the World. It will bring this historic competition into the 21st Century.

once again the voice of reason :clap: :clap:

how can ANYBODY not enjoy seeing all these obscure eastern european sides with FANTASTIC names plying their trade is beyond me. i just hope there is a decent television deal to bring it into peoples front rooms

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whatever they do with it, all the time the top 3 or 4 clubs of the major leagues go into the Champions League it will always be a cup for also-rans.

I'd prefer the Champions to go into the Champions League....and the other cup to have the best of the rest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here