Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Europa League quarter final, semi final draw

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I guess that's par for the course when you're the best team in the competition.

Much like Sheffield Utd have the hardest run in of all Premier League teams.
Not really. They’ve not faced a side with any European pedigree and won’t until the semi final at least. We’ve faced 3 big teams. I get how the ranking saw them get an easy group but the last two draws have surely seen the Liverpool ball placed on the radiator prior to the draw.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think you will find our fixture list is what will scupper our chances
8th is still achievable - 7th probably isn't.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Good point actually..

isn't it potentially Man City v Arsenal SF if they get through their QFs?

Not sure how far behind we are on this coefficient thing?

Maybe it's good that AC Milan meet Roma and Atalanta v Liverpool?
Doesn’t really matter what Italian clubs do, they are virtually guaranteed one of the two extra CL spots. It’s a straight shoot out between England and Germany for the other one by the looks of things. England still heavy favourites according to tweet below, but chances dropped about 12% based on the draws just made.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The coefficient system awards a team two points for a win, one for a draw and, in the Champions League and Europa League, one point for passing each round from the last 16 (the Conference League affords an extra point only after the semi-finals). As it stands, according to Uefa, English clubs would need only earn a point more than the total accrued by German sides in the quarter-finals to take second place in the coefficient table.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The coefficient system awards a team two points for a win, one for a draw and, in the Champions League and Europa League, one point for passing each round from the last 16 (the Conference League affords an extra point only after the semi-finals). As it stands, according to Uefa, English clubs would need only earn a point more than the total accrued by German sides in the quarter-finals to take second place in the coefficient table.

So us winning last night will have helped even though we didn't progress?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So we might have given ourselves a small helping hand in terms of getting into Europe again. A definite positive from last night!

Wealden Seagull

May 15, 2022
When people say a club would have got a certain team if they got through, is it as simple as that for example with a different list of teams would the teams in each ball be different, ie alphabetically and change the entire draw? Didn't watch the draw so may be noncense but a question none the less.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm not sure how these points are awarded?, but just looked at the UEFA country coefficients

They have no teams in the CL left (I guessed points awarded for CL is higher? than EL or ECL)

Not at this stage, no.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thx Trig, very helpful

Willkommen.

The info there is very useful, but it does say "Germany has three left in, but two are in the UCL. Points are easier to come by outside the UCL", which is incorrect. At this stage, the points won are basically the same regardless of which competition you're in (the one exception seems to be that there's no bonus point for being in the quarter final of the Conference).

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Arsenal play Luton, us and Bayern in an eight day period. Good chance they might rest a couple versus us. Also, if Villa get past Lille in the Conference quarters then their game away to us would be bang in the middle of their two semi final legs, again probably helping us a bit.
Re Villa - maybe help a bit but it's a pub league. I'd honestly fancy us to win the Conf League.
What will help more is if Watkins is properly injured.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Willkommen.

The info there is very useful, but it does say "Germany has three left in, but two are in the UCL. Points are easier to come by outside the UCL", which is incorrect. At this stage, the points won are basically the same regardless of which competition you're in (the one exception seems to be that there's no bonus point for being in the quarter final of the Conference).
Yeah really interesting. ESPN article spells it all out.

Villa might go all the way in the ECL. Though Fiorentina are in easier side and may also make final?

Liverpool I'd fancy to KO Atalanta, and one extra Italian out with Roma Milan.

Our two ties with German opposition are tough to call, on form I'd fancy Arsenal v Bayern, but you just know Kane will be fired up to try and Dump Arsenal out. And city for Real Madrid is really rough, we could lose City?

Leverkusen were lucky to beat Qarabag with 2 injury time goals. If West Ham turn up at home still in it, I fancy them to do it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Leverkusen were lucky to beat Qarabag with 2 injury time goals. If West Ham turn up at home still in it, I fancy them to do it.

You know Leverkusen are 10 points clear at the top of the Bundesliga right?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You know Leverkusen are 10 points clear at the top of the Bundesliga right?
Yes of course.

But they looked beatable over the 2 legs v Qarabag (Azerbaijan champions), and even when down to 10 men away from home, Qarabag looked quite comfortable for last 20 mins, until the 2 late injury time goals. (Second scored at 90+8 with 6 mins added)

Not saying it will be easy, but West Ham were excellent at home last night and I don't think it's beyond them if they're still in tie for return leg at home.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hope West Ham get stuffed.
Well that would be natural reaction in normal times, but theres a reasonable chance we finish 8th and will be in a 2 way fight with German teams for the second extra champions league spot, which would drop conference league to 8th place.

Every win is points to English teams getting the extra place, and our games with German oppo the most crucial.

If Leverkusen win and West Ham get beaten, your gratification could be short lived if we finish 8th and miss out of Europe by 1 place as Germany got the extra european place.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Well that would be natural reaction in normal times, but theres a reasonable chance we finish 8th and will be in a 2 way fight with German teams for the second extra champions league spot, which would* drop conference league to 8th place.

Every win is points to English teams getting the extra place, and our games with German oppo the most crucial.

If Leverkusen win and West Ham get beaten, your gratification could be short lived if we finish 8th and miss out of Europe by 1 place as Germany got the extra european place.

*Could. 7th (or 8th) getting the Conference League place is still dependent on the FA Cup being won by a top 6 side (top 7 if England win the extra place in the CL).

Basically we want Liverpool, City or possibly United to win the FA Cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here