Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Europa League qualification trundles on

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
We should know 4 more definites for the Europa League in just over a weeks time. The losers of the following ties go straight into the Group Stage

Rangers v Servette
Braga v TSC (Serbian team)
Marseille v Panathinaikos
PSV Eindhoven v Sturm Graz
Oooo Marseilles or panathinaikos (Athens) .... Yes please.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Slightly off topic, but a good pub quiz question...

If 64 teams are involved in a knockout competition, with no replays, how many games are played before some team wins it?
One less than the amount of teams in the comp.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
OP seems to think it does. And I agree :shrug:
OP can kiss my hairy arse. x

To lose the euro vibe now, based on other teams trying to qualify, when one could be getting excited about the near-infinite permutation of European we'll meet for the first time ever is, IMHO, a strange and untenable position.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We should know 4 more definites for the Europa League in just over a weeks time. The losers of the following ties go straight into the Group Stage

Rangers v Servette
Braga v TSC (Serbian team)
Marseille v Panathinaikos
PSV Eindhoven v Sturm Graz
PSV v Graz is the one for me: Eindhoven would be easy to get to and I'd fancy visiting Graz.

I'd also quite like Aberdeen: my stepsister's husband is a Dons fan so I could make a flying visit.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
In my boredom I have worked out what I think will happen

I think the teams that get there through qualifiers will be

Slavia Prague
Olmypiacos
Union SG
Ajax
BK Haken
LASK
Sheriff
Qarabag
Limassol
Sparta Prague
Maccabi Haifa
Antwerp
Rakow
Molde
Servette
Sturm Graz
Panathanikos
TSC Backa Topala
Rangers
Braga

Some great ties in there IMO, hoping to avoid Qarabag, Sheriff and Haifa ideally as it’s a pain to get there.

This could of course all change in a week

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In my boredom I have worked out what I think will happen

I think the teams that get there through qualifiers will be

Servette
Sturm Graz
Panathanikos
TSC Backa Topala
Rangers
Braga
If Rangers are playing Servette, how could they both qualify? Am I missing something? (and please not Servette for us, Geneva is the dullest city I've ever visited)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Mumbles Rangers are in the Europa League? Fair play at 46. Does he still like DVDs?

lee.PNG

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
OP seems to think it does. And I agree :shrug:
Easy tiger - no I don't.

All this pre-qualifying stuff is going on in the background, for me at least - it's not sucking any joy out of anything for me.

My sarcastic comment in the opening post was more that, until our involvement, I had no idea there was such a long and winding road for some clubs to reach the group stages of the Europa League. I thought it all just started with the group stages, where we're playing.

Greeko

May 17, 2007
Eastbourne
If Rangers are playing Servette, how could they both qualify? Am I missing something? (and please not Servette for us, Geneva is the dullest city I've ever visited)
The losers go straight into the Europa League Group Stage. The winners go into the final round of qualifying for the Champions League and all losers in that go into Europa League

WASH

Jul 6, 2003
Rustington
Currently of all the teams left in the draw, we are the we are =77th on the Club Co-efficient rating which I guess is how the 'seedings' and placings into the 4 pots goes? So at the moment of teams definitely qualified we have the 10th best co-efficient out of 12, so in pot 2 currently. Only needs at least 7 teams with better co-efficients to get through the qualifying to push us into pot 3. There is a possibility of a max 6 matches in the Play off rounds (and qualifying via losing Champions Lge qualifiers) that will see both teams in those ties having better co-efficients than us leaving us teetering in 16th place and just in pot 2, so expect us to be pot 3 but there could be a horror scenario where enough teams with better co-efficients than us get through pushing us into pot 4 and actually the 28th 'seed' with only 4 'worse' teams than us in the draw!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Slightly off topic, but a good pub quiz question...

If 64 teams are involved in a knockout competition, with no replays, how many games are played before some team wins it?
63 but 64 if there's a Third Place play-off like the World Cup?

el punal

There has to be a better way shirley? Kills the Euro-vibe stone dead while it trundles on interminably
The better way? We’re in Europe, first time ever and I’m loving it. It’s even more fun trying to guess which weird and wonderful teams we’ll be facing and knowing we’ve got a guaranteed programme of six matches.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here