[Albion] ***Europa League Group Stage Draw - Official Thread***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
If we finish second and lose the playoffs game do we drop down to the conference?
No.

Top 2 from each group go through as follows

1 - Through to last 16 (Knockout phase)
2 - Through to last 32 vs Champions League 3rd Place team (Preliminary knockout round)
3 - Moved into last 32 of Europa Conference League vs runners-up from the Conference League Group Stage
4 - Eliminated from all European football

Yoda

English & European
Don't think that answers @deletebeepbeepbeep question ...

As a group runner up - if you loose the play off game, are you out of Europe altogether or do you then drop to Conference League?
Nope, lose that play off match after finishing 2nd, you're out altogether. Only 3rd place teams from the Group Stage enter the Conference League

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you'd said a few years ago that we'd likely be announcing a loan deal for Barcelona's #10 on the same day as our first appearance in a European draw, you'd have been told your meds needed adjusting.
I was thinking about exactly this on the way back from this morning's (wet) dog walk. My first away game with my mates was away to Southend in Division 3 in 1987. Less than 1000 of us, one coach, scrap in the corner of the terrace in the first half and we lost. I was 16.

Now I'm worrying about drawing sides in Continental Europe that have a big enough away allocation so I can go abroad to watch the Albion with my own 16 year old and see the likes of Ansu Fati, James Milner, Mitoma and Estupinian take on what is effectively the UEFA Cup.

What the f*** has happened?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Easiest possible group please. Roma especially to be avoided. Let’s win the group and save the glamour trips for the knockout stages, when it really counts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
From a purely "decent trip with a chance of a ticket" POV I'd like Leverkusen, Betis and AEK *crosses fingers*

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
If you'd said a few years ago that we'd likely be announcing a loan deal for Barcelona's #10 on the same day as our first appearance in a European draw, you'd have been told your meds needed adjusting.
In a few years we’ll be buying players from Barca and waiting on the CL draw

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I wish they'd do away with all of this dropping down if you lose/finish 3rd shite. It's an absolute joke.
Your wish is granted - there is a completely new format for next year which does exactly that.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This has almost certainly been answered before, so apologies for asking, but what do the numbers next to the clubs relate to?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was thinking about exactly this on the way back from this morning's (wet) dog walk. My first away game with my mates was away to Southend in Division 3 in 1987. Less than 1000 of us, one coach, scrap in the corner of the terrace in the first half and we lost. I was 16.
I know what you mean. My first away game was Hereford, to see a young lad called Peter Ward score with his first touch in league football. Hereford are now in the sixth tier of English football. My first away game after I'd started going out with Mrs Gwylan was Kidderminster Harriers: they are now in the fifth tier of English football. The idea that we'd be playing in a European competition in my lifetime would have seemed absurd, yet here we are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports