[Football] Europa League final: Sevilla v Roma

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Sevilla's striker En Nesyri was another one that got away in the same summer we missed out on Darwin Nunez and Nicolas Gonzalez.

We reportedly made a couple of bids for him which were rejected.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
7 minutes stoppage time? Sorry, I seem to be one of the few that is not a fan of this new push on trying to have as much game time as possible. 2+ hour football games is not one I relish.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Will the "big" teams in the Premier League hope Manchester City win the Champions League?
Yes, because it keeps up the Premier League coefficient within UEFA. So Juve hate Roma then, big time? (As Sevilla hit the post)

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
7 minutes stoppage time? Sorry, I seem to be one of the few that is not a fan of this new push on trying to have as much game time as possible. 2+ hour football games is not one I relish.
There were 3-4 head 'injuries'. The in play time in this match will be low, don't worry, very bitty, anti football

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016

I think the reasoning is it will eventually stop time wasting, and therefore the massive amounts of added time will start to come down.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
As a historian I LOVE that Roma have SPQR as their sponsor.

Would be mote impressed if it said "Romanes eunt domus"
Here's the banner (under two Roman-soldiers tifos) that they made for Roma-Leicester in the Conference League semifinal last year:
LfyDS5L.jpg

"In Britannia cuncti nomen Romanorum horrebant" (Latin for "In Britannia everyone feared the name of the Romans")

Last edited:

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Yes, because it keeps up the Premier League coefficient within UEFA. So Juve hate Roma then, big time? (As Sevilla hit the post)
They are one of our historic rivals (not as bad as Inter or Torino obviously though) but it's more of a thing throughout big Italian teams. There are those (not many) who say "In Europe we should always support the Italians" but actually nobody wants other teams getting ahead in the tally of titles of cups. Especially if they're clubs you dislike.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Here's the banner (under two Roman-soldiers tifos) that they made for Roma-Leicester in the Conference League semifinal last year:
LfyDS5L.jpg

"In Britannia cuncti nomen Romanorum horrebant" (Latin for "In Brittania everyone feared the name of the Romans")
That is epic!!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They are one of our historic rivals (not as bad as Inter or Torino obviously though) but it's more of a thing throughout big Italian teams. There are those (not many) who say "In Europe we should always support the Italians" but actually nobody wants other teams getting ahead in the tally of titles of cups. Especially if they're clubs you dislike.
I get that. Different here, whereby we always 'had' to support the English club in Europe growing up. Then when it didn't work out, I became an armchair Glasgow Rangers fan in 1993 when they knocked out Leeds United and reached the group stage of the 'Champions League' - exactly as British TV wanted. I still have a genuine affinity to Rangers 30 years later because of that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My YouTube feed has subtitles

I'm guessing that's because Steve M is commentating.

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
You can be sure to see a lot of timewasting by whichever team will be ahead at the end. Roma players have already started :lolol: And Mancini is always such an arsehole

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Next season will be the first for many years where I actually care about a team in Europe.

Sepulveda

Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I get that. Different here, whereby we always 'had' to support the English club in Europe growing up. Then when it didn't work out, I became an armchair Glasgow Rangers fan in 1993 when they knocked out Leeds United and reached the group stage of the 'Champions League' - exactly as British TV wanted. I still have a genuine affinity to Rangers 30 years later because of that.
Don't get me wrong, our national broadcasters always try to push the "support the Italian team" line, but it's not really felt by fans. If it was one of the non-big clubs, like if for some miracle Sassuolo reached the final stages of the Europa League, we would be all behind them though.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
LfyDS5L.jpg

"In Britannia cuncti nomen Romanorum horrebant" (Latin for "In Britannia everyone feared the name of the Romans")
Good job the chap who did their proof reading prior to printing was better than the guy that did our RDZ T shirt

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Don't get me wrong, our national broadcasters always try to push the "support the Italian team" line, but it's not really felt by fans. If it was one of the non-big clubs, like if for some miracle Sassuolo reached the final stages of the Europa League, we would be all behind them though.
Man Utd in '99 and Liverpool in '05 - the whole country was pretty much behind them here. Interest has faded though and TV viewing figures show this. If Man City win in Istanbul, it won't have half the interest here of Liverpool beating AC Milan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports