Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Europa Knockout draw & round of 16 draw

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why did TNT Sports keep going on about the draw being Monday. They told Pedro it was Monday.
So it's not Monday is it? As we are going straight through to the round of 16 we do not have to play in the knock-out. And they cant draw the round of 16 Monday as they don't know who the last 16 clubs are.
Our draw is 23rd February.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I cant see anything that says group winners cant play their group runners up (again) in round of 16 so could we be drawn to play Marseille again (if they win their knockout match)?
Yes, I believe so.

We can't face relative group winners in the round of 16, only the teams who won the previous knockout round. So if Marseille were to go through, then the probability of us playing them in the round of 16 would be 1/8.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
That’s the way I read it. The privilege afforded for winning the group is home advantage in the second leg - with the extra half hour to find a winner in front of your own fans if necessary.
Forest will now be Sun or Mon and City on a Sunday (don’t think that one could move to the Monday as it’s an international week). This is what UEFA site says:

Is the Europa League round of 16 over two legs?

Ties take place over two legs, with the group winners at home in the second legs
Man City game may well be deferred if either we or they are in the FA Cup Quarter Final....

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Why did TNT Sports keep going on about the draw being Monday. They told Pedro it was Monday.
So it's not Monday is it? As we are going straight through to the round of 16 we do not have to play in the knock-out. And they cant draw the round of 16 Monday as they don't know who the last 16 clubs are.
You would have thought Jules and Sidwell would have known better, I had to watch the last 10 minutes and post match summaries when I got home last night and nearly lost my voice shouting "NOOOO its not" about 20 times, they even said it in the managers interview

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I believe so.

We can't face relative group winners in the round of 16, only the teams who won the previous knockout round. So if Marseille were to go through, then the probability of us playing them in the round of 16 would be 1/8.

Except we can't get Liverpool or West Ham in the round of 16, so if they get through it's a 1 in 6 chance.

Edit: West Ham ( not Newcastle as I originally said)

2nd Edit: Ignore me, I'm talking bollocks, see @Bozza 's post below which explains why I was talking bollocks

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Except we can't get Liverpool or Newcastle in the round of 16, so if they get through it's a 1 in 6 chance.
Castle are not in Europa. They are completely out of Europe.

Also we can't get any of the teams that finished top of their group

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Except we can't get Liverpool or Newcastle in the round of 16, so if they get through it's a 1 in 6 chance.
Newcastle are out of all European football.

We will play one of the winners of the Play Off Round (can't play another Group Winner (seeded team) until the Quarter Final).

So in the L16 draw, we will face one of:

Galatasaray
Lens
Braga
Benfica
Feyenoord
Milan
Young Boys
Shakhtar Donetsk
SC Freiburg
Marseille
Sparta Prague
Sporting CP
Toulouse
Rennes
Roma
Qarabağ

• In the draw for the knockout round play-offs, the eight group runners-up are seeded, and the eight Champions League group third-placed teams are unseeded. The seeded teams are drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.
  • In the draw for the round of 16, the eight group winners are seeded, and the eight winners of the knockout round play-offs are unseeded. Again, the seeded teams are drawn against the unseeded teams, with the seeded teams hosting the second leg. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.
  • In the draws for the quarter-finals onwards, there are no seedings, and teams from the same association could be drawn against each other. As the draws for the quarter-finals and semi-finals are held together before the quarter-finals are played, the identity of the quarter-final winners will not be known at the time of the semi-final draw. A draw will also be held to determine which semi-final winner will be designated as the "home" team for the final (for administrative purposes as it is played at a neutral venue).

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Newcastle are out of all European football.

We will play one of the winners of the Play Off Round (can't play another Group Winner (seeded team) until the Quarter Final).

So in the L16 draw, we will face one of:

Galatasaray
Lens
Braga
Benfica
Feyenoord
Milan
Young Boys
Shakhtar Donetsk
SC Freiburg
Marseille
Sparta Prague
Sporting CP
Toulouse
Rennes
Roma
Qarabağ

Edit:

I was talking bollocks!

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apologies
Meant Liverpool and West Ham

So, still a 1 in 6 chance of meeting Marseille if they go through.
No, 1 in 8.

As group-winners we are seeded/kept separate from all other group winners, which includes Liverpool, West Ham and Rangers.

Right now, we can play any of the eight Europa League runners-ups or any of the eight Champions League third-placed sides, as per this poll: https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/all-i-want-in-the-europa-league-knockout-round-is.405342/

mile oak

May 21, 2023
I know it gets complicatedbut I really think the possibility if us playing Marseille again is bizarre and the rules should change so that doesnt happen. It was close overall against them but if we did draw them we have advantage of having beaten them. Personally I would ratyer draw any other team. Some closer to us favoured over others. 2nd leg at home is huge advantage just home Im not entering the Amex already a goal or two down at (over 2 legs is effectively) half-time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here