Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Europa Knockout draw & round of 16 draw

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Bizzare no more games until March. Who thought that one through then?
Do some leagues, like, I dunno, Norway etc have winter breaks? 🤷‍♂️

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing

I cant see anything that says group winners cant play their group runners up (again) in round of 16 so could we be drawn to play Marseille again (if they win their knockout match)?
I did wonder this and I can't see anything to suggest why we can't draw Marseille. 1 in 8 chance should they get through though.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Bizzare no more games until March. Who thought that one through then?
The next round is in February though. It’s just we don’t have to worry about that.

It’s quite good that the games are more spaced out when the knock out rounds start, means the second half of the season could be slightly less hectic, but there are still domestic cup competitions and any games postponed cause of bad weather to deal with.

Do some leagues, like, I dunno, Norway etc have winter breaks? 🤷‍♂️
Some leagues have a winter break but most are only for a few weeks.

The Scandinavian leagues though have just completed their current seasons (places for next seasons European competitions all decided) and now in their close seasons with most starting again in April. So any sides left in this seasons European competitions will be playing their playoff and last 16 games in their close and pre-seasons. So in that respect a couple of months off now is helping those nations actually get a bit of a break at least.

I did wonder this and I can't see anything to suggest why we can't draw Marseille. 1 in 8 chance should they get through though.
We can be drawn against Marseille if they get through to the last 16. Last season Union Berlin and USG played each other in the last 16 after playing in the same group.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The really useful information in there for anyone with inflexible work is our away match will be March 7th/home match March 14th. It’s a shame they don’t draw next round & round of 16 together like they do for the quarterfinals/semifinals. People could at least get some cancellable bookings in place. Instead, it’s going to be a mad scramble and sky-rocketing prices.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The really useful information in there for anyone with inflexible work is our away match will be March 7th/home match March 14th. It’s a shame they don’t draw next round & round of 16 together like they do for the quarterfinals/semifinals. People could at least get some cancellable bookings in place. Instead, it’s going to be a mad scramble and sky-rocketing prices.
I thought we would know the options on Monday. When is the draw for the last 16 then?

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Is this a certainty -- our home match is March 14? I'm flying in March 8... It would be wonderful to attend all 3 fixtures -- Forest, Europa, City.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Is this a certainty -- our home match is March 14? I'm flying in March 8... It would be wonderful to attend all 3 fixtures -- Forest, Europa, City.

That’s the way I read it. The privilege afforded for winning the group is home advantage in the second leg - with the extra half hour to find a winner in front of your own fans if necessary.
Forest will now be Sun or Mon and City on a Sunday (don’t think that one could move to the Monday as it’s an international week). This is what UEFA site says:

Is the Europa League round of 16 over two legs?

Ties take place over two legs, with the group winners at home in the second legs

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Any know what the dates will be for the round of 16?

Answer ... March 7 & 14. Get ya holiday forms in

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

assuming a 1 in 2 chance they get through, overall 1 in 16 chance of drawing them

.... although they can't draw Toulouse, so depending how the draw pans out the odds might vary??? Beyond my maths......

Pedant alert -

A) isn’t it 1 in 15 as there’s 16 teams left by that stage and you take us off?

B) Also you can’t draw anyone from the same association so take off Liverpool and West Ham and it’s 1 in 13 - if they get through

C) I may be talking utter shite

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Why did TNT Sports keep going on about the draw being Monday. They told Pedro it was Monday.
So it's not Monday is it? As we are going straight through to the round of 16 we do not have to play in the knock-out. And they cant draw the round of 16 Monday as they don't know who the last 16 clubs are.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Play off round draw Monday - we are not in it

Winners of Play off round enter the last 16 draw as unseeded teams (we are seeded) and that draw is not until after their games in February.

So you can put the credit cards away for two months.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here