Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Euro MPs vote to end summer time clock changes

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Have you got a link to show that this wouldn't be compulsory?

I already posted a link to the guardian's report, which Hans quoted. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-go-forward-change-2019-daylight-savings-time

There's also this one: https://www.dw.com/en/eu-parliament-votes-to-end-daylight-savings/a-48064185
"Under the proposals, each member state would decide whether to continue with twice-a-year clock changes or stick permanently to summer or winter time.
Clock ticking
All 28 member states would need to inform the European Commission of their choice ahead of the proposed switch, by April 2020. They would then coordinate with the bloc's executive so that their decisions do not disrupt the functioning of the single market.
"

and this one: https://www.thelocal.de/20190304/cl...ropean-parliament-meets-to-discuss-its-future
" The European Parliament’s Traffic Commission has voted 23 to 11 to abolish daylight savings in the EU, effective 2021.
The vote is not final however, with the Council of Member States still requiring a vote on the matter in order to get a Europe-wide consensus.
If the Council votes to abolish daylight savings, each member state will have to decide themselves whether or not to implement the change.
This could potentially be problematic, particularly in the case that some member states make the move and others decide against it.
"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, that's good news.

'Good news' because you like the idea of the UK vetoing an EU directive, or 'good news' because you actually think that arbitrarily changing all the clocks in the country twice a year serves a useful purpose?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
"so they consult the public across the EU, but 70% of the results are from Germans. WTF?

They consulted the public across all 28 states including the UK. If only the Germans were arsed enough about the decision to voice an opinion on it, that's hardly the Commission's fault is it?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They consulted the public across all 28 states including the UK. If only the Germans were arsed enough about the decision to voice an opinion on it, that's hardly the Commission's fault is it?

capture2.png

Should have had a national referendum then do the vote again if the losing side didnt like the result :D

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
a joyful clusterfudge ahead if members really do get to choose which timezone to use, changing clocks as you cross borders. dont see that as likely, they'll all happen to chose the same timezone. i dont think this will pass through to law as they'll remember why time is changed, to extend the day and save energy.

its interesting for UK respondents, and elsewhere, to be overwhelmingly in favor as it doesn't account for which timezone is fixed. do you want longer evenings in summer or longer mornings in winter? present people with the details of the change and consequences, not just the principle of some perceived inconvenience (sound familiar?)

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Couldn't be interested in the slightest, whether the EU change

Couldn't be interested in the slightest, whether the UK changes or not

I would rather everyone put their backs into making decisions on something that really makes a difference

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

That genuinely does surprise me. I know it's a bit of a bummer effectively having to get up an hour earlier one day a year, but the fact that it's on a Sunday rather ameliorates that. Most people I know love it when the evenings are suddenly lighter - sign that summer's on it's way - and I absolutely love my extra hour in bed every Autumn!

I wonder who they asked? (not that I am suggesting the EU would set out to get statistics to get the 'right' result, oh no, no, no).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
'Good news' because you like the idea of the UK vetoing an EU directive, or 'good news' because you actually think that arbitrarily changing all the clocks in the country twice a year serves a useful purpose?

Good news because I like changing the clocks every year. I remember a time when we tried not doing it for a couple of years; it wasn't good.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No they don't. The 'choice' for the UK would be stick with GMT all year round or stick with BST all year round - no changes during the year allowed.

Frankly the EU can do one on this as far as I'm concerned; one more reason for leaving.

You've clearly not read the consultation document nor the communications from the European Commission. But hey ho, I'm hardly surprised.

In the consultation those participating from member states were asked whether they wanted to ditch the 'change' and they were asked whether they wanted to remain on winter or summertime. With the except of Greece, Cyprus and in one instance Malta, the responses were uniform and in support of proposed changes.

The statistical anomaly is Germany, where 70% of responses came from. However, extracting all German responses will still have given the EC the same conclusions. The UK responses and German responses were remarkably, and unsurprisingly, similar.

I'm sure that had the UK Parliament undertaken this survey and suggested that we ditch daylight saving then you would have been up in arms that EU Law was preventing that change. However, the European Parliament vote yesterday has resulted in the EC being able to give member states the option - however as most EU citizens do support a change I would imagine that member states will look to the results of the consultation and make the change.

In fact, back in 2015 UK research discovered that UK citizens would support a change albeit by a smaller margin.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/lifesty...ime-stop-changing-clocks-daylight-saving-time

But you continue with your anti-EU rhetoric.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
a joyful clusterfudge ahead if members really do get to choose which timezone to use, changing clocks as you cross borders. dont see that as likely, they'll all happen to chose the same timezone. i dont think this will pass through to law as they'll remember why time is changed, to extend the day and save energy.

I don't understand how it saves energy (or extends the day - on one occasion we LOSE an hour!). Are you able to expand on that, as it would be interesting to understand the logic.

It seems to me that we have far too many daylight hours when folk are generally asleep. In the Autumn, it suddenly goes from daylight to dark at "home time" for most workers. I understand that this increases the number of road accidents.

If I had a choice, I'd stick to BST. Changing the clocks is just a nonsense for the majority of the population nowadays.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don't understand how it saves energy. Are you able to expand on that, as it would be interesting to understand the logic.

simply you get up later and go to bed later relative to the sunlight in summer. on GMT in summer you'd spend more energy for lighting in the evening, if we switch to BST we'd using more energy for lighting in winter mornings. the problem is our 9-5 workday and hours of sleep is rather poorly align to sunlight hours so we end up using a lot of energy for lighting one end while sleeping in daylight the other. the US recently changed when they do their DST by few weeks, to the beginning of March and first week in Novemeber, to save x billions. they did not do it for giggles.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it was asked in the same way across the countries, then no, that would not be the Commission's fault. For 70% of results to come from 1/28th of the countries however, is so extreme that I can't imagine the question was put in the same way to each country.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If it was asked in the same way across the countries, then no, that would not be the Commission's fault. For 70% of results to come from 1/28th of the countries however, is so extreme that I can't imagine the question was put in the same way to each country.

Maybe it was only asked in German? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

its interesting for UK respondents, and elsewhere, to be overwhelmingly in favor as it doesn't account for which timezone is fixed. do you want longer evenings in summer or longer mornings in winter? present people with the details of the change and consequences, not just the principle of some perceived inconvenience (sound familiar?)

But they've shown that there would be far fewer road traffic accidents if we were on permanent British Summer Time as we'd have less dark commuting hours.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here