Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 96 - Where are they now?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
in his 3 tournaments with England they reached the Quarters each time...losing to the eventual winners in 2002, and on penalties in 04 and 06. The tournament before he took over they were knocked out in the first round, and the tournament after he quit they failed to qualify. For some reason he's seen in a much worse light than many England managers who performed worse than him. England beat Germany 5-1 under him ffs....FIVE ONE
That is exactly right. We were shit before he joined, shit after he left, and yet in the three tournaments he was in charge for we (according to some) underachieved in 'only' reaching the quarter-finals in each one. The combination of arrogance, over-expectation and myopia is staggering.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Owen was fit (ish) going into that tournament, but got seriously injured in the third game against Sweden.

Rooney went into that tournament injured and was not fit at any point.

We were a very good side in 2004. By that time Shearer had retired from International football. If he had come off the bench instead of Darius Vassell I'm sure we'd have beaten Portugal - We should've beaten them anyway.

The only downside to that team was a half fit David Beckham. I was out there for that tournament and he could barely run.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
We were a very good side in 2004. By that time Shearer had retired from International football. If he had come off the bench instead of Darius Vassell I'm sure we'd have beaten Portugal - We should've beaten them anyway.

The only downside to that team was a half fit David Beckham. I was out there for that tournament and he could barely run.

2002 was a half fit Beckham who bottled the tackle that Brazil scored from

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
2002 was a half fit Beckham who bottled the tackle that Brazil scored from

He most definately was in 2004 as well. He ambled up and down the wing like an old man. People used to say thay Gerrard and Lampard couldn't play together but they along with Scholes were a superb midfield in the group games. It was a world away from the player who covered every inch of grass on the pitch in the Greece world cup qualifier a couple of years previous. I remember it all too well being surrounded by the a delirious load of Portugese fans after they won the Penalty shoot out.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
He most definately was in 2004 as well. He ambled up and down the wing like an old man. People used to say thay Gerrard and Lampard couldn't play together but they along with Scholes were a superb midfield in the group games. It was a world away from the player who covered every inch of grass on the pitch in the Greece world cup qualifier a couple of years previous. I remember it all too well being surrounded by the a delirious load of Portugese fans after they won the Penalty shoot out.

Don't remember him having an injury at 2004, he just played crap

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
ah, euro 96. student in Nottingham at the time, never forget all of us leaving the house after the Holland game to go and celebrate in the pub, and every other house emptying at the same time in the same way. Great night

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I was lucky enough to be at the Semi Final and in-line with Gazza as he slid towards the goal, all around me, me included, were celebrating it just looked so nailed on ..... then took me hours to get out of the Car Park, which was a real bummer, got back to Sussex at 2 a.m.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
I was a kid and remember being utterly obsessed with stadiums and feeling a sort of sense of pride that English stadiums were on show to the world.

The Holland game was unreal, great football memory. Heartbroken when we went out in the semi's, but remember going out into the street for a kick about with the local kids to ease the pain.

What a wonderful time.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
That is exactly right. We were shit before he joined, shit after he left, and yet in the three tournaments he was in charge for we (according to some) underachieved in 'only' reaching the quarter-finals in each one. The combination of arrogance, over-expectation and myopia is staggering.

Exactly this.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I do like the Ince/Navarro fact.

The "SAS" tag started with Sutton and Shearer at Blackburn a couple of years earlier though surely the finest goal of either partnership was Teddy's lay-off for Shearer's thumping swerving netbuster against Holland?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here