Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] EURO 2024 - Official Thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
1700733510428.png

1700733404728.png

With the draw just 9 days away, I'm now officially getting excited for this.

How far can England go? France arguably the team to beat for any side with designs on winning the competition.

Anyone here planning on going?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Anything less than a win at this tournament is a failure. Best chance we’ve ever had.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anything less than a win at this tournament is a failure. Best chance we’ve ever had.
But...man for man, France are still better than us, aren't they?

If France didn't exist I would possibly agree - there is no other side I don't think we can/should beat when at our best. But they're just so strong.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

If France didn't exist I would possibly agree - there is no other side I don't think we can/should beat when at our best. But they're just so strong.
As with every tournament, it all depends on the draw really.

We should go deep but there is also a ridiculous chance that we end up in a group with Denmark, Holland and Italy.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Just over the border for me so will look to try and hop over to soak up the atmosphere. We definitely have a big chance.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Portugal will be my tip for the tournament.
A potential squad of players like Costa (good young keeper), Dalot, Dias, Inacio, Cancelo, Fernandes, Neves, Bernardo Sliva, Neto, Jota, Felix, Leao, Ronaldo, Palhinha, Ramos etc etc etc

It's a very strong group

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
As with every tournament, it all depends on the draw really.

We should go deep but there is also a ridiculous chance that we end up in a group with Denmark, Holland and Italy.
England should definitely not be worrying about the group stage- nothing more than a formality really

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Portugal will be my tip for the tournament.
A potential squad of players like Costa (good young keeper), Dalot, Dias, Inacio, Cancelo, Fernandes, Neves, Bernardo Sliva, Neto, Jota, Felix, Leao, Ronaldo, Palhinha, Ramos etc etc etc

It's a very strong group
Portugal also had a 100% record in qualifying- don't think they had the hardest group but still

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

They'll be there abouts. But no more Benzema, Varane gone crap, Lloris not playing. Giroud/Griezman not getting any younger.

Still reliant on Mbappe.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They'll be there abouts. But no more Benzema, Varane gone crap, Lloris not playing. Giroud/Griezman not getting any younger.

Still reliant on Mbappe.
Don't give me hope.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'll be honest, with the depressing vibes around tournaments in Qatar, Saudi, Russia and the weird covid-Impacted multi-country one, the next two tournaments fill me with so much joy. A single nation tournament in Germany. Quality stadiums, great host nation etc etc and then the USA(plus canada and mexico) world cup. Again, a different vibe, exciting host nations which will really add to it (unlike qatar), amazing stadiums......and both tournaments with England teams boasting some exciting talent.

I realise Euro 2028 should also excite as it's based in the UK but I personally want to hear about England base camp in some town I've never heard of and read about all the issues with it and whether the players are too excited or too bored and then blame that on our quarter final exit.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

How far can England go? France arguably the team to beat for any side with designs on winning the competition.

Netherlands, Croatia and Italy and arguably Serbia/Switzerland have really helped create the potential for one or 2 groups of death.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looking forward to lots of posts on social media confusing Slovakia and Slovenia.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

They probably are, yes. But the best team doesn't usually win the tournament. Every chance they could go out to someone else. We have to be the 2nd best team in this, and I can't remember too many previous times when we could genuinely have said that.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So question then.

Are we odds on to win the tournament?

No. Why? Well I guess because there are a number of other teams who are equally good as us.

There is one, France, who are manifestly better than us. There are at least 10 teams who would be competitive with us and could easily down us in a knockout game and probably another 10 who, yes we should beat, but hey in knockout football, shit happens. someone is sent off, someone scores a worldy etc etc.

We're a long way off being nailed on to win this tournament. And actually whether we're more or less likely to win than in previous tournaments isn't relevant.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is incredible that Estonia are in the play offs to qualify after getting one point from 8 matches in qualifying. It is due to topping their nations league group where the other teams were Malta and San Marino.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

I actually got three tickets in the lottery for a last 16 game in Berlin on Saturday 29th June. Tried for multiple games but only got lucky for that one. I have never been to a finals match before so am proper excited whoever is playing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I actually got three tickets in the lottery for a last 16 game in Berlin on Saturday 29th June. Tried for multiple games but only got lucky for that one. I have never been to a finals match before so am proper excited whoever is playing.
Very jealous - seeing a match (hopefully England) at a major tournament is definitely a bucket list item for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here