Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] EURO 2022 Official Thread

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Is it in Sweden's DNA to bore us all to death no matter whether it's mens or womens football?

Looks like the Dutch goalkeeper's Euro tournament is over. She got clogged. Feel for her.

Come on the Oranjè!

Kind of... Roy Hodgson created the style of football Sweden has been playing for the last 40 years or so.

Fun to watch? Usually not but since then we have 12 very boring medals while you have 3 :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
France looking strong but Renard is pretty slow these days, think they could be vulnerable in defense. Italy a bit disappointing, thought they would at least be able to be a bit more competitive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Kind of... Roy Hodgson created the style of football Sweden has been playing for the last 40 years or so.

Fun to watch? Usually not but since then we have 12 very boring medals while you have 3 :shrug:

:lolol:

Meanwhile, when discussing Brighton, your take is much more that the style of the team and attitude of the coach is far more important than results or trophies :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
:lolol:

Meanwhile, when discussing Brighton, your take is much more that the style of the team and attitude of the coach is far more important than results or trophies :shrug:

If I had to watch Sweden play each week I'd puke everywhere but in a 6 or 7 game tournament it is a different thing.

If Brighton would win a cup through playing ultra-defensive football in the semi and final I'd be happy clappy but to watch a team play 38 games Roy Hodgson style... no thank you.

Brighton are also much more likely to win games trying to play good football rather than trying to play bad. This is not the case with Sweden.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If I had to watch Sweden play each week I'd puke everywhere but in a 6 or 7 game tournament it is a different thing.

If Brighton would win a cup through playing ultra-defensive football in the semi and final I'd be happy clappy but to watch a team play 38 games Roy Hodgson style... no thank you.

Brighton are also much more likely to win games trying to play good football rather than trying to play bad. This is not the case with Sweden.

I will take that at face value and say "fair enough", only pausing to add that Sweden probably would have beaten the squad Chris Hughton was given to stay up in the Premier League.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
England aside, who are the best supported nations in this tournament?

The Dutch and Sweden were well supported at their match with plenty in yellow and orange of the 21,342 officially attending.

Spain v Finland and Germany v Denmark were well attended too.

Just 3,859 at Belgium v Iceland today. Despite pre-tournament criticism, the smallest capacity stadium of 4,700 was big enough.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
On the pitch tonight, it's very much 'allez les bleus' with the French 5-0 up at halftime against Italy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I will take that at face value and say "fair enough", only pausing to add that Sweden probably would have beaten the squad Chris Hughton was given to stay up in the Premier League.

Dunno man... CH did a great job keeping that squad up, but the Swedish squad was pretty damn lousy at the time (despite reaching the World Cup quarter final).

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Italian defence still playing under COVID guidance and keeping at least 2 metres away from the French forwards.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Does seem the gap between the Good and Average teams is fairly large.

That's fair comment, although the French have been particularly lethal in the 1st half. 5 goals from 7 shots on target.

We've seen the gap between the have's and have not's in the WC qualifiers recently with England putting 20 past Latvia.

It'll be evident in next summer's World Cup in AUS/NZ with the number of teams increasing from 24 to 32.

The USA beat Thailand 13-0 in the last tournament, so one can expect some similar scorelines in a year's time.

That's not to say that the additional countries shouldn't be there - increased visibility should grow the women's game.

But the issues of a level playing field remain.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Game of two halves! If Italy had played the first half like they did the second, it may have been a different result?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just told P & R at Mill Road and Racecourse will cost £7-50 tomorrow. Hope PB doesnt get any ideas. With no free transport will be interesting to see how they will cope with checking tckets at Brighton and Lewes Stations

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Game of two halves! If Italy had played the first half like they did the second, it may have been a different result?

IMO it felt like France were chilling pretty hard in the second half.. think they could have scored a couple of more goals if they really needed. Better save energy.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Best of luck to the Lionesses tonight, lets show Norway how we can roar. An extremely tough game, would not be too disappointed with a point and think we will do very well to keep a clean sheet with all the attacking quality Norway have.

#backthebabes

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Just told P & R at Mill Road and Racecourse will cost £7-50 tomorrow. Hope PB doesnt get any ideas.

It did. It sold out a while ago.

I'm sure the Albion will continue to include transport in ticket prices - part of commitment to local authorities, I believe.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I will be watching at home. Do we know how many tickets were available and how many have been sold?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here