Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2020

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Azerbaijan get a quarter final. Goes to show that money talks and bullsh*t walks. How very corrupt.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Each to their own. Cardiff any day of the week for me, Glasgow I've found to be a horrible shithole.

Weird, I found (on several visits) Cardiff to be a horrible shithole, whilst Glasgow has stunning, grand architecture. Both places are admittedly horrible shitholes around their peripheries.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
The spread around format will not work. Its only for the one tournament to celebrate the 60 year anniversary of Uefa.

Baku having the quarter finals is very odd and reeks of money being involved.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
And nothing to do with a brand new stadium being built due to the IOC awarding Baku the first ever European Games in 2015?

And what better way to celebrate the 60th anniversary of UEFA than by hosting a quarter-final in a country that has never even come close to qualifying for the tournament.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Baku isn't as odd as it first sounds. A purpose built stadium has been built for the inaurgural European Games in 2015 (A Noddy olympics for Europeans minus the Atheltics basically) and I'm assuming they will use that. Formula one is going there from 2016 (I think). There has been an investment in Sport to get the country on the map.

The city itself is one steeped in architecture and they have a high standard of living due to the oil based economy. The problem is that its a 5 and a half hour flight from London so not ideal for an England game by any stretch of the imagination

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Weird, I found (on several visits) Cardiff to be a horrible shithole, whilst Glasgow has stunning, grand architecture. Both places are admittedly horrible shitholes around their peripheries.

I haven't been to Glasgow for 10 years and one of the times I went in the 90s there was a train strike which meant I had to stay in some flea ridden B&B with a dank smell and a matress that made me want to vomit. To that extent, my views are clouded but I've liked Cardiff when I've been there. Conversely, I've seen an Albion play off win and a Wiggins gold there (on the TV when he won the time trial) so it does have happier memories. Edinburgh i've found to be light years away in terms of friendliness, history and fit women to Glasgow.

D

Deleted member 18477

The last I heard only Germany and England applied to stage the finals with the German application being strategic. The understanding being they would pull out, leaving England the only application, in exchange for support in hosting the next full tournament.

To be fair Germany host a good tournament! I enjoyed World Cup 2006!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Looks like we may bid for the 2028 tournament. The bid would have German backing, according to their own FA. Assuming we support theirs for 2024.

I would have thought hosting the three latter matches would actually be an advantage.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A quarter-final in Baku may raise a few eyebrows.

Baku_olympic_stadium.jpg

Due to be finished next year.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
Although it's great to get the semis and final it doesn't excite me like the whole tournament would. I hope this won't count as 'our turn' and we can still get 2028. I can't see us getting the World Cup anytime soon so the euros are our only chance.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I forsee the format for 2020 not working out well. EUFA will revert back to the current format for the finals from 2024 onwards.

UEFA has already confirmed that.

England will but in a bid to host a future tournament, only to be told, "No chance! you have only just hosted the finals in 2020!"

We've hosted it more recently than Germany, Italy and Spain. There are several other contenders inc Turkey.

So we're not "due" to host a Euro championship anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here