Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euro 2020 fan disorder

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They had a lot of police around, high up as well filming so imagine their tactic was to sit back, get evidence and make arrests after.

That's fine - and I understand that as an operational tactic. But if your 10-year old lad gets hit on the head by a Becks bottle some coked up nob has launched into the air just for the lolz, then on balance I'd rather they stopped filming and went and practiced a bit of crowd control. Can't they get civilians to film / gather evidence?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Apart from the loads they did have all had machine guns :D

I saw police with firearms in the favela. Nothing at all like that at the stadia

Police wielding machine guns (or any guns) at football is a stupid idea anyway. Just get in and make the arrests when you see the crime. Don't just hide in your van

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That's fine - and I understand that as an operational tactic. But if your 10-year old lad gets hit on the head by a Becks bottle some coked up nob has launched into the air just for the lolz, then on balance I'd rather they stopped filming and went and practiced a bit of crowd control. Can't they get civilians to film / gather evidence?

I still think with 100,000 fans on Wembley Way potentially, the police piling in would only have resulted in people being seriously injured or killed.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I still think with 100,000 fans on Wembley Way potentially, the police piling in would only have resulted in people being seriously injured or killed.

You are probably right about the potential for it to cause more problems. The big failure was enabling that many people to get onto Wembley Way in the first place. Of course, it is far harder to cordon now owing to the development around the stadium but lack of planning and foresight let the whole situation get entirely out of hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here