Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Euro 2020 fan disorder

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I may have missed this, if so apologies and please merge... however I have scanned the front two pages of NSC and can't find any mention of the report into the "trouble" at the Euro 2020 final with Italy.

This report is quite damning, on several counts, and doesn't paint a particularly glowing picture of the modern football fan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59516147

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wont help England getting the World Cup (although I think things such as the number of available stadiums etc. is eventually going to make it happen anyway sooner rather than later).

The apparent coke problem must be dealt with. Visiting different fan boards this season there is definitely unusual number of incidents of violence/thuggery/overall nastiness. In modern society where such things are often recorded and shamed by the masses, I think such incidents would be highly unusual if there wasnt the influence of drugs.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm bored of everyone simply blaming drugs.

If there's proper organisation and proper security things like this can't happen. Letting people get smashed on Wembley way from 10 am was an accident waiting to happen.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

That’s the easy way out for the people responsible for keeping things safe and running things correctly. No exclusion zone because of the lack of spaces around Wembley and no fan parks played their part but it was all a shambles really.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
storm in a tea cup ...did anyone get stabbed..?? kicked to death ..?? 300 k pissed people at wemberlee and the best the establishment can come up with is "ooooh you made a terrible mess and were a bit naughty and quite a few of you tried to get in without tickets" .......how about we've dismantled your economic backbone , rendered a lot of you unemployable , sold you a massive dummy in brexit , taxed your arses into poverty and fiddled with kids and animals whenever we can .......but lets wave the pointy finger at you for getting pissed at the Euro finals .....tsk , tsk , tsk .......am i right or wrong...?

football in Turkey , Argentina ,Mexico , Morrocco and or Brazil and numerous other countries frequently ends up in messy circumstances......the difference is you loy have the BBC , The Mail and The Sun to fan the flames of horror......get over it , move on....ffs.

boik

storm in a tea cup ...did anyone get stabbed..?? kicked to death ..?? 300 k pissed people at wemberlee and the best the establishment can come up with is "ooooh you made a terrible mess and were a bit naughty and quite a few of you tried to get in without tickets" .......how about we've dismantled your economic backbone , rendered a lot of you unemployable , sold you a massive dummy in brexit , taxed your arses into poverty and fiddled with kids and animals whenever we can .......but lets wave the pointy finger at you for getting pissed at the Euro finals .....tsk , tsk , tsk .......am i right or wrong...?

football in Turkey , Argentina ,Mexico , Morrocco and or Brazil and numerous other countries frequently ends up in messy circumstances......the difference is you loy have the BBC , The Mail and The Sun to fan the flames of horror......get over it , move on....ffs.

So if nobody got stabbed or killed then just let people get on with it. I presume you've never been with your kids or old parents when things have kicked off - it's not nice.

And please don't try fobbing this off as a political protest. Football thuggery has been around through bad times and good, whoever was in power. Unfortunately it just seems to attract the wrong type of fan. That doesn't mean you just let them do what they want with no consequences.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So if nobody got stabbed or killed then just let people get on with it. I presume you've never been with your kids or old parents when things have kicked off - it's not nice.

And please don't try fobbing this off as a political protest. Football thuggery has been around through bad times and good, whoever was in power. Unfortunately it just seems to attract the wrong type of fan. That doesn't mean you just let them do what they want with no consequences.

This.

The whole thing was a mess. The solution is to clamp down hard on antisocial behaviour, not retreat and let the 'animals and scum' (as Thatcher and her chum the Luton chairman viewed all foootball supporters in the 80s) get on with it, behind a great big fence to keep them off the pitch.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
We're a disgrace.

I hope we self-quarantine ourselves from applying to host another tournament for the next 20-30 years.

We need time for our fans' poison to work it's way out of the system and for there to be real consequences.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

If there's proper organisation and proper security things like this can't happen. Letting people get smashed on Wembley way from 10 am was an accident waiting to happen.

So it's the authorities fault for not stopping the dickheads, not the dickheads themeselves.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

So essentially it's everyone else's fault and not fans who can't exercise self control and act in a decent law abiding manner ? Fair enough expecting stewards on minimum wage to deal with that many fans is not clever. However, those fans need to behave particularly if they want any chance of us hosting tournaments in the future.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Sure, let’s blame authorities for not stopping people from getting “smashed”.

There is only one group responsible for what happened - the mindless, self entitled idiots who drank too much, took drugs and/or just felt it was a good idea to invade the stadium irrespective of any harm they may cause.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Drugs would have played a huge part in a lot of it but the organisation seemed to be utterly woeful reading through the chronology of events. They basically seem to have tried to police it as if it were no more likely to lead to disorder than an Ed Sheeran concert, which was never going to be the case. The story of the chap who basically stole some kid in a wheelchair to try and force his way in though is a particular lowlight.

I wonder whether the presence of some chaps from the armed forces might have made it a bit less disorderly, some coked up nutjob might fancy picking a fight against an unarmed policeman, but lets see him try it against a 6ft chap in fatigues.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So it's the authorities fault for not stopping the dickheads, not the dickheads themeselves.

Dickheads will always be dickheads but you need to police them to protect decent people going to games.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
First and foremost, those primarily to blame are those who can’t control their booze / drug intake and believe their right to attend a game without a ticket trumps the rights of legitimate ticket holders. Selfish scum, frankly.

Having sad that, Wembley and the Met can’t be absolved of blame (and they haven’t been); but for them to say they were taken by surprise or couldn’t predict what would happen etc is just risible. I believe most football supporters knew this had the potential to be a complete cluster**** outside the stadium and the warning signs were there from the semi-final especially.

Complete lack of preparedness from Wembley desperate to do stewarding on the cheap and a massive dereliction of duty by the Met. Amazed heads haven’t rolled.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A number of the “mindless, coked up drunken scum and idiots” that were part of that fiasco are Albion supporters and no doubt visitors or even members of NSC. Plenty headed up ticketless from Brighton and Sussex towns and villages, brother (who had a ticket) saw loads of youngsters on trains mid morning already pissed then who were going along just for the atmosphere and wondered what state they’d be by mid afternoon let alone evening. He feared worse and said around 5pm on Wembley way it was like a tinder box as we also saw and now know. Several of our Albion disabled fans were trampled over in that mess and I understand one of the most prominent ‘vigilante’ fans who were beating the intruders back is an Albion fan from Worthing with a bit of a hard case reputation.

All in all it was a shameful episode. Can’t understand why more haven’t been prosecuted. Plenty openly bragged about it on social media. Easy arrests in my opinion, should have bagged and brought thousands before the courts like they did with the riots and looting in 2011. Fastrack 24/7 justice with heavy sentences like 2-3years to send a message. Only way these idiots will learn and even then…

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
A number of the “mindless, coked up drunken scum and idiots” that were part of that fiasco are Albion supporters and no doubt visitors or even members of NSC. Plenty headed up ticketless from Brighton and Sussex towns and villages, brother (who had a ticket) saw loads of youngsters on trains mid morning already pissed then who were going along just for the atmosphere and wondered what state they’d be by mid afternoon let alone evening. He feared worse and said around 5pm on Wembley way it was like a tinder box as we also saw and now know. Several of our Albion disabled fans were trampled over in that mess and I understand one of the most prominent ‘vigilante’ fans who were beating the intruders back is an Albion fan from Worthing with a bit of a hard case reputation.

All in all it was a shameful episode. Can’t understand why more haven’t been prosecuted. Plenty openly bragged about it on social media. Easy arrests in my opinion, should have bagged and brought thousands before the courts like they did with the riots and looting in 2011. Fastrack 24/7 justice with heavy sentences like 2-3years to send a message. Only way these idiots will learn and even then…

I went to the game, and completely agree with your final point. Plenty bragged on social media before, during and after the game. If they can continue to do that with no consequences then they’re going to keep being t**ts. Prosecuting is the answer, not a lengthy report no one will read bemoaning how they behaved.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It is easy to fall into that trap. My take is that dickheads can be anticipated, though, so steps should be taken, should have been taken, and weren't.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

the oiks at wemberlee weren't thugs , they were classless ***** , pissed out of their heads , assembled en masse for one of the events of the decade .....have you been to matches on the continent or north africa.? , mental mate , mental .......all sorted out with tear gas and mounted police batten charges ........such a bunch of softies these days , i'll bet my back teeth that 40% of "revellers" at wemberlee on that day had little or no interest in football , just there to cause shyte and get pissed.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
After the recent Travis Scott concert tragedy it shows that this could have ended up so much worse.

Typical England fans showing themselves up, we don't deserve (and can't be trusted) to host any major football tournaments and TBH as gutted as I was that we lost the final, the fallout after showed that we didn't deserve to win one either.

Add to the fact all this happened during the pandemic and helped spread the virus makes it even more disgraceful.

Still, the event organisers and the policing was dreadful too, just a sh!t all round really.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It is easy to fall into that trap. My take is that dickheads can be anticipated, though, so steps should be taken, should have been taken, and weren't.

Yeah, but the ultimate responsiblity for the beahviour is with the cokeheads. Obviously their behaviour should have been anticipated and better security should have been planned . The trouble i have is some give the impression that it's all the police's fault for letting horrible scrotes be horrible scrotes and that the little ***** aren't to blame because it's in the nature of areseholes to be shitty

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here