Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2016 qualifying draw

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I've read somewhere that Spain as qualifiers have to play in group matches, but their games will only count as friendlies and they will still qualify regardless?!?!

What idiot thought that one up?

Oh?.......

michel-platini_1125537c.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Slovenia

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Our draw is looking pretty decent at the moment.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Group is looking pretty easy should at least finish 2nd depending who we get with last ball

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've read somewhere that Spain as qualifiers have to play in group matches, but their games will only count as friendlies and they will still qualify regardless?!?!

What idiot thought that one up?

Oh?.......

michel-platini_1125537c.jpg

Its France, as they are the hosts and so don't have to qualify.

During the qualifying campaign, they will play friendlies against one of the groups as if they were in that group, but of course, the games will actually be meaningless.

You couldn't make it up could you.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
And Switzerland completes our draw. If we don't qualify from this Hodgson needs shooting.

Scotland don't stand a scoobies in their draw

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Oh dear, going to be difficult to mess this up. This means we will qualify well after a wobble or two and then get drawn with a group like, France,Poland and Sweden and crash out.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good draw for us

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
There is an argument for quality over quantity though, shirley.

When the Euros was 16 teams, they're ALL decent because the wheat was sorted from the chaff in qualifying. 2016 is going to be chock-full of JUNK though.

Add in the fact that the group stage will see the top 2 in each group of four qualify for the knockouts PLUS 4 best 3rd placed teams (so 16 out of 24 teams are going through), and its actually going to be pretty hard to get eliminated.

How can you finish 3rd in a group of 4 and STILL go through to the knockouts ?? Pathetic, ham-fisted bollocks and absolutely typical UEFA, managing to nause-up what was a good tournament format for the sake of shoe-horning in more games,the majority of which will contain such piss-poor teams they won't even be worth watching.

Belarus v Armenia in the Finals ? Oooh, save me a seat.

I agree with you to a point but it is groups of 6 not 4!

Surely we should be encouraging smaller countries to improve? It's kind of like saying let all the Prem teams go straight through to the later stages of the FA cup as non league teams should not get a chance to play them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I agree with you to a point but it is groups of 6 not 4!

Surely we should be encouraging smaller countries to improve? It's kind of like saying let all the Prem teams go straight through to the later stages of the FA cup as non league teams should not get a chance to play them.

A twin track approach would be the way forward. There is little point in the likes of Malta, Andorra etc getting thumped all the time, there should be some kind of second division European Championship in which they play teams more of their equal. At least that would give the Scots a chance.

D

Deleted member 18477

Ireland and Scotland just never get any luck do they :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here