Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Euro 2012

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
What a farce that out of 16 places available that 2 of them go the Ukraine and Poland. Not only that they both go into pot 1.

Sorry if fixtures but i have just had a quick look and think its outrageous that not only do the host nations take 2 of the 16 places but theyre ranked in the top 4 countries in Europe.

Absolute Joke!!

Why dont Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania put a joint bid in for the 2020 Euros and make a right mockery of the competition.

Rant over!!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
That has always been the way with international football competitions (I say always, it has been for the last 15 or so years) - the hosts are seeded, as are the defending champions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't say that two spots out of 16 was really that much of a disaster. I would say that making them seeds is a bit unfair though - I'd prefer to see only one in the first pot. So where a tournament is shared, I'd have them play-off for a top seed with the loser appears in the pot appropriate for their ranking.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
according to uefas website Poland are in Group A and Ukraine in Group D - neither are shown as being in pots - am I reading it wrong?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
No different to 2002. Japan and S Korea both top seeds and won their groups!

Why not bring a bit of the "FA Cup lottery" into it, rather than it always be manipulated as per Champions League/Wimbledon etc where top seeds have big advantage.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
according to uefas website Poland are in Group A and Ukraine in Group D - neither are shown as being in pots - am I reading it wrong?
Yes, they are both top seeds. Group A will be played in Poland, group D in the Ukraine.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

They are in specified groups so they play in own country during group stages. They are top seeds as well.

Albion Rob

Couldn't this be quite good for us, though? Surely if we draw Poland or Ukraine then the hardest opposition we'll face will come from Pot 3?

That said, there look to be a number of potential 'Groups of Death' and a fair few potentially more straightforward groups too.

Jan 30, 2008
Couldn't this be quite good for us, though? Surely if we draw Poland or Ukraine then the hardest opposition we'll face will come from Pot 3?

That said, there look to be a number of potential 'Groups of Death' and a fair few potentially more straightforward groups too.
so that's straightforward enough then ?

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
Spain, Portugal, France or Italy please!
All or nothing early, rather than a 0-0 Polish or Ukrainian scrape through to be embarassed again in the quarters!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here