EU and AstraZeneca

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Always easier to be critical of others behaviour when one leads a comfortable experience, I’m pleased that all is good in your world [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, but if I’m critical of others, it’s mainly through concern for the welfare of others..... casualties of the Pandemic, whether patients or key workers, particularly medical staff, people in the mire because of Brexit, people who have suffered because of Trump’s 4 years and so on.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That's my interpretation (for what it's worth!). The other key clause (I think) is 5.1, which obliges AZ to use its "Best Reasonable Efforts" (BRE) to manufacture the EU's order at EU sites. I think this pretty much completely undermines the EU's stance that AZ should be shipping stuff from the UK to the EU to make up the shortfall in the EU's supply. There is NO obligation on AZ to manufacture the EU's order in the UK. Clause 5.4 also has a BRE obligation, but it's a much wider clause about generally manufacturing the vaccine (as far as I can see)....so, although clause 5.4 refers to the UK, it doesn't oblige AZ to produce any of the EU's order at the UK plants.

Makes you wonder if the decision to publish is internal EU politics. Perhaps an attempt to oust the Health Commissioner ? (pure speculation on my part)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We’re being selfish. The EU is being selfish. And meanwhile poorer parts of the world will suffer.

Maybe we could do with a bit less triumphalism and a bit more altruism.
It would be useful to put your post into the context of whether or not you have had your vaccine ?

Fair enough if you don't want to say, but if you have been vaccinated you could perhaps understand those further back in the queue being a little less noble and a bit more angry about any EU vaccine grab ?

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The European Union has confirmed it is introducing export controls on coronavirus vaccines made in the bloc, amid a row about delivery shortfalls.

"The protection and safety of our citizens is a priority and the challenges we now face left us with no choice but to act," the European Commission said.

The EU is in a very public dispute with drug-maker AstraZeneca over supplies.

The bloc is under growing pressure over the slow pace of vaccine distribution.

The Commission earlier made public a disputed contract with the company to bolster its argument that AstraZeneca is failing to fulfil its promises.

Announcing the export controls, EU Health Commissioner, Stella Kyriakides said the measures were being introduced to ensure that all EU citizens had access to vaccines, and make sure all parties played by the rules.

"This approach is built on trust, transparency and responsibility," she said.

"Commitments need to be kept, and agreements are binding. Advance purchase agreements need to be respected.

"Today, we have developed a system which will allow us to know whether vaccines are being exported from the EU. This increased transparency will also come with a responsibility for the EU to authorise, with our members states, these vaccine exports."

Oh dear. Even the most pro EU remainer must be deeply embarrassed by this action. I

They cocked up badly, the contract with AZ shows that and are now desperately trying to blame everyone - except themselves.

It only helps the anti EU loons like Farage, who will lap this up and shout how it shows how bureaucratic the EU is.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
BBC reporting that the EU has just approved the A/Zen vaccine,well that's bloody good of them also rather convenient.

Jan 30, 2008
The European Union has confirmed it is introducing export controls on coronavirus vaccines made in the bloc, amid a row about delivery shortfalls.

"The protection and safety of our citizens is a priority and the challenges we now face left us with no choice but to act," the European Commission said.

The Commission earlier made public a disputed contract with the company to bolster its argument that AstraZeneca is failing to fulfil its promises.

Announcing the export controls, EU Health Commissioner, Stella Kyriakides said the measures were being introduced to ensure that all EU citizens had access to vaccines, and make sure all parties played by the rules.

"Commitments need to be kept, and agreements are binding. Advance purchase agreements need to be respected.

"Today, we have developed a system which will allow us to know whether vaccines are being exported from the EU. This increased transparency will also come with a responsibility for the EU to authorise, with our members states, these vaccine exports."

Oh dear. Even the most pro EU remainer must be deeply embarrassed by this action. I

They cocked up badly, the contract with AZ shows that and are now desperately trying to blame everyone - except themselves.

It only helps the anti EU loons like Farage, who will lap this up and shout how it shows how bureaucratic the EU is.
https://youtu.be/SyF3L-OhOeg
:thumbsup:
regards
DF

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I do wonder what the US and Canada are going to say. Most of Canada's Pfizer I believe is manufactured in EU and I also understand that a deal was struck with Pfizer to ship 100m doses by using Sanofi plant.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The EU appear to have declared vaccine war on the rest of the world

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes, but if I’m critical of others, it’s mainly through concern for the welfare of others..... casualties of the Pandemic, whether patients or key workers, particularly medical staff, people in the mire because of Brexit, people who have suffered because of Trump’s 4 years and so on.

All jobs are “essential” Dave not just the ones you’re family do [emoji106]x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So are we going to stop applying Pfizer (off label) with a 12 week gap now in the event of supply interruption?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Indeed. It's a disgrace.

And they have set back any UK re-join campaign by years if not decades.

At least the Novavax vaccine and vial production is 100% in the UK.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I'm not actually clear what the EU wants. Are they saying that AstraZeneca must supply vaccines that don't exist, or are they simply saying that their contract is the only one that matters and all other contracts must be disregarded? I presume it's the latter - which begs the question, why would they consider their contract to be the only one that matters?

If I have a contract with my baker to supply a loaf of bread every day, and one day they say the oven has broken down and there isn't any bread, I can scream and bluster and complain all I want - but I still won't get any bread. It doesn't matter how much the contract says AstraZeneca will supply to the EU, they can't supply what they haven't got. The only real legitimate option for the EU is to accept that this contract has failed, and the relationship between parties has broken down, so they can mutually cancel the contract - . But I'm guessing the EU doesn't want to do that.

If they take any serious action to damage AstraZeneca or for that matter Pfizer, I bet there are a lot of AstraZeneca and Pfizer jobs that might be in jeopardy.

Does the EU commissioner who says that Britain isn't showing solidarity with the EU, explain why we should? Is he aware that we aren't in the EU?

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I wonder how many Pharma (and other types of international countries), in the long term, will decide to move operations/productions away from the EU given their behaviour?

They certainly will not try to do them any favours in future either!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I didn't vote Brexit, however, this vaccine dispute is a total **** up caused by the EU and their inability to do anything in a timely manor.

What it will do is shorten the life of the EU as I suspect several member states will feel very exposed over this when The vaccine supply companies re-locate out of the EU

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I didn't vote Brexit, however, this vaccine dispute is a total **** up caused by the EU and their inability to do anything in a timely manor.

What it will do is shorten the life of the EU as I suspect several member states will feel very exposed over this when The vaccine supply companies re-locate out of the EU

This.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It will be sorted soon, thankfully Britain has excellent diplomatic ties established with the EU with the new ambassador...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The one thing i want to see is this sorted out pretty quickly. I am not great when it comes to needles/injections, I used to give blood and most times I had my eyes closed.... What is really pissing me off is that whenever a vaccine is talked about on TV news it has to be discussed with background shots and pictures of Joe Public being inoculated ... every bloody time !

Sometimes you will see three or four different people, old, young and ethnic minorities all being jabbed, FFS everyone over the age of five knows what an injection is and how it is done, we really don't need to see it endlessly happening.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
BBC reporting that the EU has just approved the A/Zen vaccine,well that's bloody good of them also rather convenient.

It was set for approval by today. That was expected last week. It's not news.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

I was and am a strong remainer but the EU's attitude and approach to this stinks, and all because they ****ed up in the first place by not getting their orders in quickly enough. They're just trying to bully their way through.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I don't think Remainers need to feel embarrassed. Most Remainers on this thread I think are pretty scathing of the EU's behaviour. The EU has many positives - but in this case they have acted appallingly - and continue to do so. As you say, it's an open goal for the likes of Farage. And - as just stated above - is likely to make some unenthusiastic member states even less enthusiastic (eg: Hungary, Poland...?). The EU Commission is playing with people's lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports