Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estimate for 2 tier house extension - not imminent work on offer

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
I don't actually work on a day rate but would expect to be earning that sort of wage.

Ah that makes a lot more sense, as when we price a job we never do it by the square metre etc, we work out how many days and materials cost then if we finish the job a few days early then the 'day rate' will be a lot higher. The £150-200 day rates are what you get on site

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Amazed at some of these quotes.
Just had a quote for a single tier extension for a fourth bedroom with ensuite bathroom ground floor.
This is for my villa in Spain.
Been quoted €12k
Amazing what a rip off the uk is

The job will take 5 years though, I've never seen anyone working on a site in Spain/ Majorca etc, loads of unfinished jobs though. :)

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Ah that makes a lot more sense, as when we price a job we never do it by the square metre etc, we work out how many days and materials cost then if we finish the job a few days early then the 'day rate' will be a lot higher. The £150-200 day rates are what you get on site

Yes I should of worded it better. I'm talking about self employed builders who are running there own firms or working as a sole trader. Not just working for some big firm on site as a subcontractor . I'm in my early 30s and all my friends at that sort of age (sparks,plumbers,chippys ect) are earning that sort of wage.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Yes I should of worded it better. I'm talking about self employed builders who are running there own firms or working as a sole trader. Not just working for some big firm on site as a subcontractor . I'm in my early 30s and all my friends at that sort of age (sparks,plumbers,chippys ect) are earning that sort of wage.

I'm mid 40s now, in my 20s and early 30s the 'site' day rates went up with property prices - this is something that hasn't happened since 2008 and the younger generation are suffering

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I'm mid 40s now, in my 20s and early 30s the 'site' day rates went up with property prices - this is something that hasn't happened since 2008 and the younger generation are suffering

House prices are silly compared to wages i agree.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Probably a bit OT but i am doing a refurb to a 3 bed House it has got en suite to the master bedroom a downstairs shower room etc etc the kitchen is huge, I am not involved in the kitchen fit so that will be extra money to someone else, quite substantial external works.......anyway......The owner will get no change from £400,000 (will be completed at Easter) ...........About 2 miles from there I am doing a new build, the price does involve the demolition of the old existing property, but NOT the cost of the land, thats separate, the build cost of that is £1 million It is an amazing place though, strangely though once finished (about 3 months now) its only valued up at 1.2 million, it is in a very nice area.........but this is South Wales, not Brighton etc.....

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
The job will take 5 years though, I've never seen anyone working on a site in Spain/ Majorca etc, loads of unfinished jobs though. :)

lol
It's an English builder that's given me the quote. Friend of a friend.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Looking back at my 2 tier 40m2 extension - can anyone give me a timescale I should expect a team of 2 to complete all the work.

I'd like to have it all completed by Summer 2020 and am aware this will be a large job

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ours, single storey, cost many thousands in skip costs alone to start with, as with a new larger patio, the footprint was dug out of a gentle chalk slope. Due to air mixed with the chalk, you always need more skips than you plan for. £300 or more per 6 yard skip these days, even after shopping around?

Another major cost was the giant glass doors. It’s quite possible to spend £10,000 to £20,000 on that with installation and VAT.

Overall insulation of the envelope to meet building reg’s has caused another major hike in costs - Solar blocks, insulation boards above, below and in the walls.

Also, the cost of a better boiler to heat your much larger home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here