Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estate Car or People Carrier

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Calling a mini bus a car is stretching it a bit IMHO !

I hired a Mercedes Vaneo on holiday a couple of years ago. That is basically a van with windows but once I got used to the size I found it drove just like a car. Liked it and if I had the need for a big car I'd consider it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If mini-bus/vans are the route you're going to take then a Volkswagen Trsnsporter (T5) is a wise choice. Fantastic spec, uber reliable and same size chassis as a Passatt, so not too long or wide.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I''ve got one of the last TD5 Discovery's. 7 seater, brilliant in bad weather etc, kids love it. Performance not exactly sparkling! Mind you we live in the sticks, tow horse boxes etc, so can accept the many compromises you have with a genuine off broader. Great fun to drive though.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I hate people carriers but needed a car with at least 3 proper size seats in the back ( not that pathetic half seat in the middle ). Looked at both the Peugeot 5006 and the Mazda 5 - both decent cars. Brought the Mazda 5 in the end - the sliding back doors are a god send ! It looks and feels very much an estate car but with the benefits of a people carrier.

Mazda 5 looks great after doing some looking today.

Thanks 4 the tip

huge

Mar 23, 2011
Don't get a people carrier. You're effectively telling the world your giving up. Next stop caravan. Also people carriers come at a premium, you always pay over the odds for them for what your getting compared to an estate for example. But if you need to seat 7 what you gonna do???

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Mazda 5 looks great after doing some looking today.

Thanks 4 the tip

I've been looking myself for a few weeks mate, ideally I need 3 PROPER seats in the back an after ruling out Renault who make nice looking cars that don't work I'm kind of drawn to the Honda FRV which has six seats, 3 in front and 3 in back. The other I've been looking at is the citreon c4 Picasso although I'm wary of French diesel cars and I think the petrol version might be a little juicy. I'm gonna check out the Mazda 5 right now, also for the low budget option, a Honda Stream is quite interesting, a few years old but essentially a 7 seat estate car!
Keep me posted if you spot any alternatives? Good luck!

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
If you aren't worried about badge snobbery and performance then my sister bought a nearly new Kia Carens and loves it. Its a 5 seater estate with 2 proper seats that pop up to create a third row. Its perfect for her with 3 kids as they occasionally want to take one of the mothers-in-law with them but couldn't do that with a conventional estate. The car itself isn't much of a looker but has the advantage of not being overly large and has the remainder of the 7 year warranty.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
second hand mondeo estate.....reliable, go for years.....ticks the boxes......super cheap.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Chuffed to bits with my zafira, with 5 seats the boot is mahoosive as its essentially an Astra estate on steroids although the boot is tiny with 7 seats. Myself +5 did liverpool away last season and all were comfy. Get about 45mpg around town out of the 1.7 125ps diesel and around 55 on a decent run :)

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Downgrading from a Golf GTI to a people carried I'm pretty sure you'd feel it a tad 'lumpy' to drive. I'd advise looking more towards a Volvo T5 estate, they are pretty bullet proof and cheap to pick up second-hand. If you have a little more to spend maybe a Range Rover would be a good compromise.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I had a diesel Mazda 5 and loved it, until about 70,000 miles when the independent garage I use, told me to get rid quick. Basically they told me they would not have believed the mileage if they had not been servicing it themselves.

I switched to a petrol Ford C-Max which has the same seat configuration and sliding doors. The big plus so far is the parking sensors, which really make parking a bulky awkward shaped car a doddle.

fozzie's paper boy

Aug 20, 2011
Hove
We're a family of 6, so people carrier was the only option. Had an old model Galaxy for years, which was fine - had loads of space, took a battering over the years, but ended up with increasingly expensive service costs.

So got a new model Seat Alhambra 6 months ago and love it, doesn't feel like you're driving a bus (compared the the Galaxy), in fact handles more like the Audi A4 I had before the kids arrived. Good sized seats throughout, and decent enough boot space even when seating 7. Diesel Ecomotive model seems to be very economical too. It's not sexy, but hey, it'll do until they leave home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here