Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estate agents (BBC 2 last night)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Anyone with the word "agent" after their job title is basically a worthless piece of crap. This totally unnecessary bunch of vampires has basically made themselves appear essential when in fact all they do is wedge themselves between what someone is offering and what someone wants and leech money off both parties, usually while lying, scheming and cheating to make their percentage as big as possible and generally getting in the effing way of two parties who want to make a relatively simple business transaction. Worthless occupation for worthless people.

What about secret agents ? Or Newsagents ?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Anyone with the word "agent" after their job title is basically a worthless piece of crap. This totally unnecessary bunch of vampires has basically made themselves appear essential when in fact all they do is wedge themselves between what someone is offering and what someone wants and leech money off both parties, usually while lying, scheming and cheating to make their percentage as big as possible and generally getting in the effing way of two parties who want to make a relatively simple business transaction. Worthless occupation for worthless people.

While I share some of your sentiment, having someone assist you in the largest financial transaction you'll generally be involved in is not a bad thing. Estate agents are just the nasty face of the fact the we treat properties as assets rather than homes. At the risk of sounding hypocritical to some degree or other, I own several houses but my home is exactly that....

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
While I share some of your sentiment, having someone assist you in the largest financial transaction you'll generally be involved in is not a bad thing. Estate agents are just the nasty face of the fact the we treat properties as assets rather than homes. At the risk of sounding hypocritical to some degree or other, I own several houses but my home is exactly that....

Any large financial decisions I have to make be it property or work I use a solicitor who advises my agent how to proceed. It costs a bit in the outlay but always either makes or saves money in the outcome. Agents have to be used but when they are I make damn sure they have my solicitor watching them like a hawk so they don't pull any of their Billy Bignuts bollox.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What assistance does an Estate Agent actually give you? As a buyer all they do is point you to a property and then get in the way.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Any large financial decisions I have to make be it property or work I use a solicitor who advises my agent how to proceed. It costs a bit in the outlay but always either makes or saves money in the outcome. Agents have to be used but when they are I make damn sure they have my solicitor watching them like a hawk so they don't pull any of their Billy Bignuts bollox.

Can't argue with any of that - I'm happy managing estate agents and don't stand for crap but its unfortunate that some people aren't as comfortable as you and I, do have to trust agents and do get shat on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
What assistance does an Estate Agent actually give you? As a buyer all they do is point you to a property and then get in the way.

But if there were no estate agents, there'd be no-one to tell you that you can't actually ever get to see the property they're selling because they're too busy/don't do viewings on Mondays/ or before 10am or after 5pm /can only get access one hour a week/can't show you it before the Open House when you're working but can't book you in for a later date until after it, when it's already sold etc etc

Or bombard your email/mobile with irrelevant crap that bears no relation to the area you're looking in or property you're looking for.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

They market the property, show you round, liaise between solicitors, vendors etc. Not a huge amount, and alll things that can be done by yourself, if you are so disposed, but that's a service they provide however badly or otherwise.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean

Estate agents promote and market the property. Like last night where one agent put the details of a house for sale in the side windows of a three wheel van. Creative marketing at its very best.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
When I moved two years ago, I started off on the premise that Estate Agents were unnecessary leaches and looked at bypassing them and selling via the Internet. Given that the house took almost nine months to sell and there were between 30 and 40 people shown around, I am really glad I didn't. If you have a property that does not sell straight away, or are looking to buy within the same area, Estate Agents can provide a valuable service, particularly the independents on the market. As a seller you do at least have a choice who you deal with, as a buyer, you have to sometimes make a pact with the devil.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I didn't watch the show, but I deal with estate agents on a daily basis in my line of work. 20% are fine, half decent people, the other 80% are pure scum. Up their own arse convinced they are in a high end job on a par with Doctors or Barristers.

I even knew one total prick who started referring to himself as the Wolf of Church Street.... Just about sums them up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Estate agents promote and market the property. Like last night where one agent put the details of a house for sale in the side windows of a three wheel van. Creative marketing at its very best.

FFS. It's the 21st century. Do you really think driving around in a 3-wheel van is creative marketing? Whatever next? An ad in the local rag?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It wasn't so much the fact that he did it, it was his explanation for it and the way he told the buyers he would take it off the market.

Having been on the other end of that recently, I wholeheartedly come down on the side of the agent. Selling our house last year, the completely 'kin useless agent we chose took our house off the market every time we got an offer, stopped marketing it and just sat back and waited for the proposed buyer to come up with doh-ray-me. Three times we had offers fall through, so the agent had to go back to square one, remarketing the house, re-advertising etc etc.

After the 4th offer in 18 months fell through, we told the agent where to stick his business and went with a different agent. We then sold, bought and completed within 2 months of the change of agents. If ever we move again, I know one agent I absolutely will not be using ever again.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

It's that kind of stuff which means they deserve their TINY commission.

I didn't watch the show, but I deal with estate agents on a daily basis in my line of work. 20% are fine, half decent people, the other 80% are pure scum. Up their own arse convinced they are in a high end job on a par with Doctors or Barristers.

I even knew one total prick who started referring to himself as the Wolf of Church Street.... Just about sums them up.

There's probably a more apt word than "Wolf" which begins with "W".

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
When buying a house most people (myself included) would start the process of surveys / home buyers reports as soon as the offer is accepted.
If the property is still on the market and able to attract other bids, there is the risk of the initial purchaser being gazumped, and of course costing them money in the wasted fees etc.

A good EA should advise the vendor the state of play with buyer, and allow them to make up their mind wether to accept the offer based on buyers circumstance.

And if the buyer pulls out ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
And if the buyer pulls out ?

The buyer could pull out regardless of the state in which the buyer is when the offer is put in.

If you put an offer in on a house for the asking price. The agents told you it was off the market, you spend £2k for survey etc, would you be happy that the agent kept marketing the property and if the vendors accepted another higher offer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here