Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estate Agents - Advice

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Please can I have your recommendations as to who I should I go sell my flat through.

And if can anyone can advise if you can get out of a two year agreement on a mortgage - I'm buying another property but the 2 year term isn't up until the summer.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
you need to check the terms of the 2 year fixed rate, most fixed rates will have penalties for the 2 years whereby if you pay the mortgage off they will make a penalty but also most lenders rates are portable which means if you stay with the same lender the original amount on the fixed rate will transfer across and if you need a higher mortgage, they will lend the additional borrowing on one of their new rates and no penalty will be charged.

If you want me to compare your present lender with the marketplace PM me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would recommend Graham Farthing of Austin Gray for a good estate agent.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Graham is also an Albion season ticket holder :thumbsup:

TrevorDove

Jan 4, 2004
Brighton
Thanks US - I'll give them a call this afternoon.

Will take you up on the offer of advice, will PM once I have had the flat valued.:drink:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I bought my house through Wyatts. If I were to sell I would definitely go back to them, boy, did they work to get it sorted.

We registered with six agents, we drew up a shortlist of three properties and all of them were with Wyatts (different branches).

Definitely the worst were Fox & Sons who could scarcely be bothered to send us anything or arrange any appointments.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
the best advice is don't use the lazy crooked theiving amateurs :angry: do it yourself and entrust the legalities to a professional ( ie someone with something more than some self certification saying they can wear an oversized Burton suit with a large knotted tie and cheap shoes whilst waffling on about double aspect and location)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
zefarelly said:
the best advice is don't use the lazy crooked theiving amateurs :angry: do it yourself and entrust the legalities to a professional ( ie someone with something more than some self certification saying they can wear an oversized Burton suit with a large knotted tie and cheap shoes whilst waffling on about double aspect and location)

I am sensing issues

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
zefarelly said:
Not many left to choose from then?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Referee87 said:
shame ur looking to sell in brighton as my family own a estate agent business in bexhill

www.redwell-estates.co.uk

We must have more estate agents per home in Bexhill than anywhere else in the country, a new one has just opened, bring the total to 12 at least

Edit: No just thought of two more so thats 14

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
gazwag said:
We must have more estate agents per home in Bexhill than anywhere else in the country, a new one has just opened, bring the total to 12 at least

Edit: No just thought of two more so thats 14

thats because people die far more often in Bexhill due to the ageing populus. there must be some extremely wealthy probate officers in the ares :eek:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Some estate agents work very hard, they do have silly hours 8.30 - 6.30 5 days a week and also most Saturdays but at least 50% of those hours they are flicking elastic bands at each other from my experience of working with them.

Some are absolute pricks and it does annoy me that I have had to pass 4 professional exams all at A level standard at least and am regulated to the degree I will soon have to get permission to go to the toilet and they could infact offer a job to a Chimpanzee as they have no regulation and no qualifications. I find it incredible that the good estate agents and they are out there do not push for regulation and qualification in their industry as they will never be taken seriously as a profession imho until they do.
But there are some good ones

Graham Farthing for one.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
Uncle Spielberg said:
Some estate agents work very hard, they do have silly hours 8.30 - 6.30 5 days a week and also most Saturdays but at least 50% of those hours they are flicking elastic bands at each other from my experience of working with them.

Some are absolute pricks and it does annoy me that I have had to pass 4 professional exams all at A level standard at least and am regulated to the degree I will soon have to get permission to go to the toilet and they could infact offer a job to a Chimpanzee as they have no regulation and no qualifications. I find it incredible that the good estate agents and they are out there do not push for regulation and qualification in their industry as they will never be taken seriously as a profession imho until they do.
But there are some good ones

Graham Farthing for one.

Wise words every one.... it is quite astonishing that in these days of strict regulation of almost all financial services any muppet can set himself up as an estate agent. Graham is a top chap however - I have never availed myself of his Estate Agency services but I've known him pretty much my whole life and he is exaclty the sort of honest, hard working, friendly bloke you would like to be dealing with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here