Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Estate Agent fees????

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Quick pick of the brains of the NSC knowledge.

Does anyone know what estate agents roughly charge to sell your home these days. I guess its a percentage of the house value/selling price rather than a fixed fee.

Just trying to put some figures together for a job reloc. package

cheers

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
We're 1.2 with Wankworths in Tooting.But i'd pay them more if they learned how to sell and got rid of it.

Remember they're flexible though

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I moved last year and am pretty sure that I was charged a fixed fee, think the company was Right Move (they have green signs), they were pretty impressive an definitely worth the money. I had a buyer within two weeks of the house going on the market...he then disappeared, the house was re-marketed and a buyer found within two hours, they then fell out and it went up for a third time...this time it took another two days and that one stuck. Back to the fee, I think it was about a thousand quid, worth every penny.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Anything between 1 and 2.5% - joke really. Type up a few details, send a few people round, collect commission.

Not even regulated. Tossers the lot of them.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not in my case M3W4, the people who organised my house sale were everything that I could have wanted (attentive, polite, did what they said they would and provided a string of prospective buyers and a fairly quick sale), I reckon it varies from company to company...maybe even the part of the country you live in...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I moved last year and am pretty sure that I was charged a fixed fee, think the company was Right Move (they have green signs), they were pretty impressive an definitely worth the money. I had a buyer within two weeks of the house going on the market...he then disappeared, the house was re-marketed and a buyer found within two hours, they then fell out and it went up for a third time...this time it took another two days and that one stuck. Back to the fee, I think it was about a thousand quid, worth every penny.

Nah, you obviously had a nice house that many people wanted to buy. Why praise the middle-man? Like travel agents before them, their job titles are disappearing into history. Soon there will be a tinternet housing Exchange, run along Betfair lines, that matches buyers with sellers and takes a miniscule percentage on a large volume of transactions. Roll on the end of the era when estate agents are deemed to be in any way essential to the food chain. :bigwave:

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Nah, you obviously had a nice house that many people wanted to buy. Why praise the middle-man? Like travel agents before them, their job titles are disappearing into history. Soon there will be a tinternet housing Exchange, run along Betfair lines, that matches buyers with sellers and takes a miniscule percentage on a large volume of transactions. Roll on the end of the era when estate agents are deemed to be in any way essential to the food chain. :bigwave:

It's a lovely ideal but sadly not true i fear.The agents at the end of our road have the keys so we're able to do viewings whilst we're at work,not possible on the internet and many sales rely on sheer numbers of viewings.Also they do the LIAISING between the various parties,most buyers need coaxing and the whole thing is time consuming and tedious.Apart from anything else i don't want to see potential buyers.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Did an estate agent knock your pint over once Tom ?. They do serve a purpose and 1% is reasonable value, in the USA and large parts of europe estate agents get 6%. The last 10 years have been money for old rope down here with a manager of a medium size estate agent around here earning around £ 100000 per annum. Internet will not take over as it has made no inroads to the market in the last 10 years at all.

They will find it tough now but people will always have to move due to job changes, divorces etc

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Thanks for the info folks.
Been a while since we sold a house so can't really give much of an opinon myself. When we bought our current place they were pretty good, but obviously were working for the sale!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
THPP, the house was in a pretty average area if I am honest, I had given it a lick of paint so internally it looked clean and well presented which is half the battle. The only thing in my favour was that it was a type of house, and in a price range, that sold fairly quickly despite there being a fair bit of slack in the market.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I managed to get mine down to a set fee which was 0.9% but when they 1st came round for valuation they quoted 1.5%. You can play them off against each other. Now if only they could sell it

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've had all the bad experiences, gazzumping, attempted rip offs by agents trying to tell me a house was falling down, advising me to sell it cheap to a 'mate' of theirs etc, dissapering buyers at the last minute, allthe bullshit and stress you can imagine, and a bill for over a grand when I tried to sell my old flat . . .took me 18 months!

laterly I sold my cottage in 10 days, cash buyer, for the asking price, that was worth the fee, especially as the buyer was an absolute C**T that even the agent wanted to lamp, Our Agent also brokered and held the deal to buy our place while we where all beeing buggered about, and held the price down to avoid stamp duty, £2k well spent in our opinion. Harrison Brant are the only estate Agents I could whole heartedly recommend.

HAlifax, Alliance and Lesister and Fox and Sons are all half arsed pikey sharks that don't desserve the oxygen they breath however, this is all Shoreham based, although I have no good experience of agents in Brighton and Hove when I was looking to move there also. Whilst there are good ones out there, some very good, they are in a mnority IMO, maybe that just reflects the type of people they have to deal with ? look at the properties in the windows and you get a good idea if you know the local area!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mishon Mackay are a very well run estate agents, Alex is the business mind and Glen is the face and networking, Glen is a very nice bloke in fact, Danny Norris works there and is a great bloke and is an Albion fan, ask for him.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
who are you ?

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
Anything between 1 and 2.5% - joke really. Type up a few details, send a few people round, collect commission.

Not even regulated. Tossers the lot of them.

Aint that the sad truth. Just sold a flat; they turned up on monday to value it, I showed someone round on the wednesday (they couldnt make it), my mum showed someone round on the thursday (they couldnt make it again and neither could I), For Sale board went up on friday, accepted an offer on the saturday, the Sold board went up on the monday and end of. Chasing the Solicitor? I did that! Arranging access with the buyer for measuring and that? I did that as well!

How much did I have to pay them? Best part of £1,500! And for what?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here