Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Established Premier League team"

Which clubs are an "established Premier League team"?

• Manchester City

Votes: 63 88.7%
  • Liverpool

Votes: 67 94.4%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 63 88.7%
  • Spurs

Votes: 64 90.1%
  • Arsenal

Votes: 65 91.5%
  • Manchester United

Votes: 66 93.0%
  • West Ham

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • Wolves

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • Crystal Palace

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • Leicester

Votes: 47 66.2%
  • Aston Villa

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • Southampton

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • Brighton

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Brentford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Leeds

• Everton

Votes: 40 56.3%
  • Burnley

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Watford

• Norwich

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How many seasons in the Premier League before a club can be considered "established", or is it the case that anyone outside of the top few are always just a rogue owner, bad managerial appointment or dodgy transfer window away from the Championship trapdoor.

West Brom were a side that, to me at least, felt like they were "established" - they'd tread water in mid-table mediocrity in the 2010s until they were relegated and that was that.

And, five seasons in, are we "established"?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
To those on the outside looking in, yes we are an established team in the Premier League with a lot going for us in terms of the academy, stadium and ownership.

There are teams in the the lower leagues with a proud history (Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, etc, etc) that look at teams like us & Brentford, Norwich who think they by right should be here in the top league and not us.

But they are not, and we are, right here, right now....

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Established when not in relegation battle every season.

So arguably only this season (or next) could I consider "established" to a certain extent.

I would say 10 years though. We were in old 1st div for 4 years, not sure we were ever considered "established" 1st div team then.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
No.

Established to me means not flirting with relegation.

Leicester and West Ham I'd say for sure. Villa and Southampton too, even that Croydon lot.

More recently I'd say Wolves have a better chance than us to earn the 'established' moniker.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Since it is only possible to pick one club in the poll I'll go with Manchester United, been around for a long time.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Not sure if my settings but poll only allows one selection.

As to the MO I would say to anyone outside their own club looking in it surely only becomes the case when fans of other teams naturally resonate your club with the Prem league table and they have to go and actually find out the last time you were not in the league.

Somewhere between 5-10 years for me thinking about other clubs and in terms of our own club I’d never take it for granted and would never consider us established because my head still says we’re a top end league 1, bottom end Championship from a historical and statistical perspective.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
In the 20 years since The Premier League was formed the fact there's only been 6 ever present teams - Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Everton - out of 50 that have been in the PL in total says to me we're not and never will be.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
In my football-watching lifetime, I've seen all of those clubs except Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal relegated. Tottenham and Manchester United stayed down for only one season, but some of the others have been down to the fourth tier. Burnley, like us, were one game from going out of the league. Stoke probably thought that they were established after three successive top-half finishes.

So no, we're not 'established' and I'd like to think that no club is, although in truth the so-called big six probably are these days. But I can also remember when Everton were considered one of the Big Five ....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd say we're "settling in" rather than established. if we reach the sunlit uplands of regular mid-table mediocrity we'd become settled.

think a couple of decades to claim established.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Love how subjective this will be. For example I don’t consider the following as ‘established’ because in my memory the following have spent as much time in Champ as the Prem:

Wolves
Leicester
West Ham
Southampton
Newcastle
Palace

I just can’t see them as ultimately belonging because they’ve not had uninterrupted stays of say >15/20years in my life time. Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t take some serious miss management or colossal recruitment failure to be relegated but it could happen

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In my football-watching lifetime, I've seen all of those clubs except Everton, Liverpool and Arsenal relegated. Tottenham and Manchester United stayed down for only one season, but some of the others have been down to the fourth tier. Burnley, like us, were one game from going out of the league. Stoke probably thought that they were established after three successive top-half finishes.

So no, we're not 'established' and I'd like to think that no club is, although in truth the so-called big six probably are these days. But I can also remember when Everton were considered one of the Big Five ....

In researching this, briefly, I noted that of the 30 Premier League seasons played...

- Only six clubs have been ever-present: Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Everton. Chelsea were the last of these to be promoted to the top flight, arriving in the old First Division in 1988-89.

- Manchester City have played in 25 Premier League seasons, which puts them below Aston Villa, Newcastle (27 seasons each) and West Ham (26 seasons).

- Brentford and Albion join the ever-present six, above, as the only clubs to have played in the Premier League and also never having been relegated from the Premier League.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Only a few to me, either years or funds...Years Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Everton....money now Man City, maybe Newcastle, the rest of us are temporary and you can add Everton to that this year, possibly.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Someone considers Liverpool more established tham Manure, strange as United have won far more Prem titles.

Five years? We’re close. If we can get a couple seasons of never really being below our current position then job done.

Who are established? The obvious group plus Leicester, West Ham, Everton at this second, perhaps to be replaces by Newcastle with their new riches.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
west brom ,Stoke and even Bolton all seemed established and we're all looking good to get in the top 6 at stages.
It only takes one season where things go wrong and bang. Even Bournemouth looked like they were pushing on until a horrendous injury list.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
All clubs outside of the Big 6 (Man City, Chelsea (currently), Man.Utd. Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool) are really only one mad-cap season away from the trap-door. For Clubs coming up, surviving 5 r more seasons on the bounce is remarkable really, and if ever recent seasons have shown, teams like Villa, Wolves and Everton could go either way. The points gap between comfortable mid-table, one-eye on Europe for a bit and a relegation scrap really is not that much - a couple of wins (streaky or otherwise) can make a big difference, but take those away and you are in the thick of it.. I guess the answer for me is Big 6 = "established" , the rest are "at risk".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here