Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No thanks, enough on Sky Sports

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Maybe this will put things into perspective for some of you Setanta-haters. Same price, less for your money...

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
:lolol:

The shit commentators and poor coverage made up for the price....:glare:

I don't quite know what you mean by poor coverage, but as for commentators - who gives a f***?? Fair enough some commentators can be irritating, but it hardly makes the difference in terms of whether its worth the money or not - its the games you get to watch.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don't quite know what you mean by poor coverage, but as for commentators - who gives a f***?? Fair enough some commentators can be irritating, but it hardly makes the difference in terms of whether its worth the money or not - its the games you get to watch.

By Coverage in general I am referring to....

Commentators = Iritating Idiot scotsmen commentating on English games.:wrong:

Picture Quality = As bad as ITV.

Hosts/Guests = Made me want to throw my TV out the window

That's just my opinion anyway, I'm sure a lot think differently.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
By Coverage in general I am referring to....

Commentators = Iritating Idiot scotsmen commentating on English games.:wrong:

Picture Quality = As bad as ITV.

Hosts/Guests = Made me want to throw my TV out the window

That's just my opinion anyway, I'm sure a lot think differently.

Fair enough, never really noticed anything with picture quality, but then haven't with ITV either. As for studio guests, I honestly don't really pay them any attention and it is literally 0% of the reason why I watch a sporting event - but each to their own!

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
I thought Setanta was sound. But I probably would never have paid for the 'privilege' of having it, twas good all the time it was free.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I thought Setanta was sound. But I probably would never have paid for the 'privilege' of having it, twas good all the time it was free.

See I would have, but only because when you added together the Magners League, SPL, the odd Premiership match, French Top 14 Rugby, and other random European football and some internationals, you actually got a lot for your money - even if coverage wasn't the best.

I know it remains to be seen where the remaining contracts go - but they are at the moment trying to sell ESPN purely on 2nd rate Premiership games (which will mostly be when I am travelling to/from Albion games) and 30 SPL games, which blatantly won't include Old Firm derbies or important matches.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I know it remains to be seen where the remaining contracts go - but they are at the moment trying to sell ESPN purely on 2nd rate Premiership games (which will mostly be when I am travelling to/from Albion games) and 30 SPL games, which blatantly won't include Old Firm derbies or important matches.

All the Old Firm derbies will be shown on Sky Sports this year. Having a look at ESPN's Scottish fixtures, they do seem rather poor.

Saturday August 15 - Aberdeen v Celtic
Live on Sky Sports, kick-off 12.45pm

Monday August 17 - Dundee United v Hearts
Live on ESPN, kick-off 7.45pm

Saturday August 22 - Falkirk v Hibernian
Live on ESPN, kick-off 12.30pm

Sunday August 23 - Hearts v Rangers
Live on Sky Sports, kick-off 12.45pm

Sunday August 30 - Hibernian v Celtic

Saturday September 12 - Motherwell v Rangers
Live on Sky Sports, kick-off 12.15pm

Monday September 14 - Falkirk v Aberdeen
Live on ESPN, kick-off 7.45pm

Saturday September 19 - Kilmarnock v Rangers

Saturday September 26 - St Mirren v Celtic

Sunday October 4 - Rangers v Celtic
Live on Sky Sports, kick-off 12.30pm

Saturday October 17 - St Johnstone v Rangers

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Also, ESPN will offer a HD service which will be a lot better. HD service will only be available on Sky HD.

ESPN are also set to announce in the coming days about two new deals, suggested to be UFC and the FA Cup.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
£9 a month if you are already have SkySports is too expensive. :annoyed:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
If nobody signs at that price, then they'll have to lower it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If nobody signs at that price, then they'll have to lower it.

The consensus of opinion is that ESPN will struggle to break even at that level , bearing in mind that all the UK Outside Broadcasts/subscriber admin is being handled by Sky on a third party basis. Setanta couldn't make it pay and ESPN looks like having less customers than them signing up in the short term.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Only really tempted by the baseball.
£9 per month is a lot of money especially when you add it to Sky.
But you can have it for one month only so could order it if the Albion are on.
Annoyingly they don't give details of the Coca Cola League matches they've got

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The consensus of opinion is that ESPN will struggle to break even at that level , bearing in mind that all the UK Outside Broadcasts/subscriber admin is being handled by Sky on a third party basis. Setanta couldn't make it pay and ESPN looks like having less customers than them signing up in the short term.

Yeah but Setanta was (is) owned by a couple of blokes who started off by wanting to show sport that was unavailable to fans in this country. Whereas ESPN is owned by Disney. Say no more.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Also, ESPN will offer a HD service which will be a lot better. HD service will only be available on Sky HD.

ESPN are also set to announce in the coming days about two new deals, suggested to be UFC and the FA Cup.

Don't see the attraction of HD. Yeah its probably cool (yet horrendously overpriced), but if you get into a match (football, rugby, baseball, whatever), do you really give a toss what sort of picture you are getting? I certainly don't. I'm pretty sure our (well not mine) parents enjoyed 1966 enough in black and white. I'd imagine 6 cans can bring HD back down to normal resolution anyways.

As for UFC...seriously??

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
boo no motor racing, not gonna subscribe then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports