Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Error in will

My father has just passed away leaving the majority of the estate to me. I have just discovered my father erroneously refers to his granddaughter as his niece but her name is otherwise correct .

Could my sister use this as the basis to contest the will? Do I record this error when applying for probate, or, being sole executor am I allowed to recognise his intention and pay his granddaughter without needing to pay thousands to have it changed?

I would appreciate it if anyone on here can provide advice from a position of knowledge and not assumption because this could literally cost me tens of thousands if it's wrong..

Thanks in advance

Seagull Stew

I had a similar situation when my father died (not quite the same). The only advise I can give you is make sure you get legal representation for both yourself as an executor AND as a beneficiary. Do not assume that as the sole executor your interests as a beneficiary will be looked after if you just get representation as the executor. Good luck!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Unless someone is a solicitor they shouldn't advise you. Although I cannot see how an error in a will can negate the entire thing.

Just speak to the solicitor who is helping with probate.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unless someone is a solicitor they shouldn't advise you. Although I cannot see how an error in a will can negate the entire thing.

Just speak to the solicitor who is helping with probate.
As others have advised, seek legal advice - but at the end of the day, your sister isn't his neice either so its difficult to see where her claim is coming from!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As others have advised, seek legal advice - but at the end of the day, your sister isn't his neice either so its difficult to see where her claim is coming from!
Yeah, that crossed my mind. I can't see how someone could contest a will on the basis of an unconnected technicality. It's a bit like trying to claim a later penalty because a thrown in was incorrectly awarded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here