Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric Garner's death in New York City.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With all respect it is a tough ask for anyone without any law enforcement experience to understand what is or isn't a reasonable course of action to take under the circumstances and an even tougher ask for either you or I to form a reasonable opinion and judgement based on an incomplete YouTube clip of the incident and unverifiable accounts from persons who may or may not have been present during some or all of the incident.

The question supposedly being repeatedly asked is just another way of accusing the police officers of being racist without any evidence of that being the case.

It's not a question I am asking, how could I from West Sussex.
But it is being asked my hundreds of thousands of protesters, riots, and the liberal news outlets I listen to, such as:-

The Bugle.
The Daily Show.
Last Week Tonight.
The Tony Kornheiser Show.

On the back of Michael Brown and other high profile cases.

Even the Fox news anchor Bill O'Reilly says the Eric Garner case is wrong.
As New Yorker Lyndhurst 14 says 'this case has left a bad taste'.

Although you are correct the footage is just a snap shot of the event, but there's too much wrong to assume, without investigation, that the police here were wholly innocent.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Seemingly if you are morbidly obese it seems best to avoid any kind of conflict with anyone let alone the police who if the circumstances present themselves may need to get hands on which will inevitably raise your heart rate. The case above really is tragic I'm sure those officers didn't go in there thinking 'yay lets go and duff up the fat downs kid' and the poor lad wouldn't have had a clue what was going on, no winners in this one.

Yeah, I'm not sure the lesson should be "Fat? don't mess with the cops".

Maybe "People are different, and although we have to abide by the same laws, some need help to understand what is being asked of them". In this instance that applies to the police and the kid who died.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
That is terrible.

Like the commentators said, the saddest part of it is the poor sod saying sorry to the ******** who just shot at him multiple times for nothing, when its clear the guy hasnt got a weapon, and has his hands up...Then the 'guardian of the law' continues to treat the poor ******* like a criminal, when in fact HE is the criminal. Unbelievable.
How many times have white people been shot, strangled, or beaten to death in the last few years over there?>

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
No other nationality has ever done this ever.

I would say yanks are in General far more airport security savvy and supportive than most other nationalities. Still let's not spoil the narrative eh.

I have just come through security at Miami and everyone far more switched on than the uk or indeed Hong Kong which I transited through last Friday and do so regularly.

well bully for you....i have been through miami , san fran , honolulu , joburg , capetown , kinshasa , lagos(scary) and numerous other airports too many to reel off before bed time....however since 9/11 i have Never seen anyone try to take a pair of nine inch , dress making scissors onto a plane in their hand luggage......this includes numerous flights throughout asia and europe , if you are after an argument or any kind of protracted debate i really cant be arsed....pedantic prick.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
well bully for you....i have been through miami , san fran , honolulu , joburg , capetown , kinshasa , lagos(scary) and numerous other airports too many to reel off before bed time....however since 9/11 i have Never seen anyone try to take a pair of nine inch , dress making scissors onto a plane in their hand luggage......this includes numerous flights throughout asia and europe , if you are after an argument or any kind of protracted debate i really cant be arsed....pedantic prick.

So you never seen anyone ever do that before but this is indicative of Americans? You seem like the one looking for a row with that language.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
no i have to say i have never seen anyone ...EVER , try to board a plane with a big , feck arf , pair of scissors in their hand luggage, honest....ever ....the fact he was a yank may be incidental but he is the only one i have ever personally witnessed trying to carry out such an act......ok...?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
no i have to say i have never seen anyone ...EVER , try to board a plane with a big , feck arf , pair of scissors in their hand luggage, honest....ever ....the fact he was a yank may be incidental but he is the only one i have ever personally witnessed trying to carry out such an act......ok...?

Anything about the prick business?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
US police are militarised, they are corrupt, they are brutal. Every week someone is killed by the cops, every day innocent people are harassed and brutalised by them. They send SWAT squads for routine petty crimes. They shoot dogs for no other reason than gratification. They use brute force when it's not required, they tazer restrained suspects, they shoot to kill.

It has become a police state. They seem to deliberately employ low IQ officers, as they need people to follow orders rather than use common sense.

I don't think the American people will put up with it for much longer.

Very, very rarely agree with you. But comprehensively nailed it on the head.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Over 1500 cops have been killed in the last 10 years,so swings in roundabouts

Blacks are the likeliest to get shot obviously due to their drug and gun culture...nothing new me thinks.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Turkish police can be incredibly corrupt, but in regards to brutality and murder by the police - it is minimal compared to the USA.

By "militarised" we mean the use of military equipment within domestic police forces. Anything more than a handgun is rare in Turkey, unlike the USA where SWAT squads, grenades, machine guns and snipers are frequently used for example.

Ok so solomou was killed by Turkish paramilitaries but it's not a patch on American police because he climbed a flag pole after the murder of his cousin by grey wolves but it's not as bad

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The cause of all this - violent policing and weapons. We havent heard of stories like this in the UK, because (regardless of what some say) - we have got it right with the way we police, ignoring the budget issues that is.

Society in the US needs to change full stop starting with the gun culture. Then they can start sorting out the social divide which does exist, although not as much as some are making out. It would be interesting to know if any white people are shot by black officers though - as for some reason you never hear about things like that.

Or to sum up in simpler terms - this is the difference between the UK and the US -

US Police -
tumblr_inline_nb0pzlg3Sk1s85hwu.jpg

UK Police -
tumblr_inline_nb0q10hV2w1s85hwu.jpg

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I don't see why you think it's relevant, there are awful violent and corrupt police forces all over the world and Turkey could well be considered one of them - we are just fortunate to have exceptional and exemplary police forces in Europe.

The point is that the USA has vast wealth and modern knowledge, so there is no excuse to have possibly the most brutal and and murderous police force in the first world - even the Chinese forces put it to shame.
They also have some of the most dangerous gangs and places on the planet...Guns guns and more guns???
I mean WTF do you want them to do?go in these ghettos with a truncheon or a box of bloody choclates?

A cop gets killed every 48 hrs and how many cops compared to naughty civilians?

Get a grip pal

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
When a representative of the police invites you to give him your license, and he shoots you, for obeying him, I think its fair to say the American police have lost the plot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They also have some of the most dangerous gangs and places on the planet...Guns guns and more guns???
I mean WTF do you want them to do?go in these ghettos with a truncheon or a box of bloody choclates?

A cop gets killed every 48 hrs and how many cops compared to naughty civilians?

Get a grip pal
I'm yet to see an 'issue' bought into the focus of mainstream America that concentrated on 'ghetto policing'.

Garner, at the moment of death was clearly unarmed, non violent and not causing any danger to himself or others.

To run with your description of American policing, it seems like the ghetto mentality of policing is being taken out of said ghetto.

Although that's not something I believe.
I'll have a look later but I've heard that the vast majority of the US police have never fired a weapon in anger.

The Americans (we all have) been force feed a diet of all action, gun toting, shoot first policing, which unsurprisingly isn't the case.
Making these high profile shooting of black men, NOT resulting in criminal proceedings all the more problematic.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Some sources cite that as high as 3 people are killed by US police every day on average. Others suggest it's closer to one a day. Whatever the reality, it's disgraceful and unacceptable.

chart-comparing-police-shootings-in-2011.jpg

...and that's ignoring the fact that 2.6million people are incarcerated in the USA - 25% of the entire worlds prison population.

Some people really try to defend the indefensible...
How many incidents are there a day?bloody loads
These cops are up against it big time and all they get is grief and to be called racists...Yes the USA has big issues and has some very dangerous people flocking into the country via places like Mexico and the Caribbean etc.Its never goner change and with so many nutters on the streets it's inevitable people will get killed and coppers too.

As the chap above said its about stopping the gun culture first and that i don't see happening in the near future sadly.Just don't see why cops are blamed for most things as when cops are killed it's hardly mentioned.

Only time you here about shootings in America is when you get a crazed student opening fire on campus or a Blackman gets shot.

The government or state governments need to sort this out and fast:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here