Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Enough about our division

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It looks like the keeper's leg knocks suarez's right foot about a foot sideways. Pen for me (and I was hoping it'd be a no-pen).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Just watched it on MOTD, I am stunned....

I agree with Alan Shearer for once.

D

Deleted member 18477

Stay on his feet and not cheat? This is exactly the problem with football today, people actually justify diving because the keeper/defender gave them a chance to.

Suarez did try but he got knocked down...

Penalty.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
You can aways tell when a player buys a foul/pen, as their legs, (yes both of them) stop moving forward, a rather unnatural movement (or lack of)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Lansbury's dive was just as bad yesterday.

Football is a contact sport, I don't buy this 'there was contact so it's a pen', the contact has to be sufficient enough to impede a player or bring him down. No way either Suarez or Lansbury were touched in anyway hard enough to bring them down.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
So those who say he dived, how could he of stayed on his feet ?

The speed he was going and the way the keeper came diving at him, I doubt anybody would of stayed upright.

The debate about it being a penalty will go on, but to say he dived is ridiculous

There was no contact made though. Click on the link below & watch the video closely. In an instance such as this, if there wasn't any contact from the goalkeeper & a player goes down like Suarez has, they've either: inadvertedly lost their balance; lost their footing on the pitch; or they've dived to fool the officials & 'win' a penalty.

[video]https://vine.co/v/hlvLjbxzaQn[/video]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There was no contact made though. Click on the link below & watch the video closely. In an instance such as this, if there wasn't any contact from the goalkeeper & a player goes down like Suarez has, they've either: inadvertedly lost their balance; lost their footing on the pitch; or they've dived to fool the officials & 'win' a penalty.

One angle, and not a good one, at that.

Clear penalty. Terrible goalkeeping.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008

Well just shows how hard a ref's job is. On the evident's of your video i have changed my mind, it was not a pen.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
One angle, and not a good one, at that.

Clear penalty. Terrible goalkeeping.

What do you mean by not a good angle? It shows you everything you need to know to see if he was touched or not (& a clear view of the way he pulls his left foot in to suggest his leg has been clipped). :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What do you mean by not a good angle? It shows you everything you need to know to see if he was touched or not (& a clear view of the way he pulls his left foot in to suggest his leg has been clipped). :shrug:

No it doesn't. It shows that the keeper didn't touch him with his hands, but you could see that anyway. I've no love for Suarez - he's a detestable specimen. But that's a penalty all day long. Guzan totally to blame.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well just shows how hard a ref's job is. On the evident's of your video i have changed my mind, it was not a pen.

Your spot-on about how hard it must be for Referees -as players have turned 'simulation' into a fine art these days. 'Bloody terrible state of affairs when cheats continually prosper. No doubt The FA & FIFA will come down on it hard though... :rolleyes:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
No it doesn't. It shows that the keeper didn't touch him with his hands, but you could see that anyway. I've no love for Suarez - he's a detestable specimen. But that's a penalty all day long. Guzan totally to blame.

It shows Suarez wasn't touched at all, IMO, but I guess we'll just have to beg to differ. :thumbsup:

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
TV replays for penalty decisions anyone ?

Not 'alf. :wink:

ps Dion Dublin came up with a good idea last night which would work nicely with a TV replay system. If the player is shown to have taken a dive in the oppo's penalty area, give the other team a penalty up t'other end. :thumbsup:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I said the debate will go on and on if it was or wasn't a pen, I just don't think he dived, I can't see anyway he could of avoided not going to ground.

Twinkle Toes

Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I said the debate will go on and on if it was or wasn't a pen, I just don't think he dived, I can't see anyway he could of avoided not going to ground.

Fair Enuff, Mr W. It's a game of opinions innit. :thumbsup:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Not a pen. He is a brilliant player who does not have to lower himself to shot gun style 'I've been hit' dives. Booking and free kick to Villa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here