Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Enjoying defending…

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Mings who always somehow turns into Prime Ferdinand ever time they play us, yet looks utter dog wash every other time I watch Villa.

As for the thread, I love good individual pieces of defending but I’m not a fan of overly defensive tactics and set ups, like the way Tottenham set up after they went 1/0 against us, you could argue they defended great, but it’s not exactly eye pleasing is it.
I am one of those that doesn’t buy players seem to excel against us. Pope was getting praised when we played Newcastle I thought we had a handful of shots straight at him never really opened them up and would of been disappointed if Sanchez had conceded any of those chances. We simply didn’t play well against Villa again didn’t open them up and made life easy for Mings.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Best WC Game ever featured the two Best Players in the World, one was a forward, the other a defender.

Clue it was in 1970...
I watched that game in full again recently. If it was played tomorrow, it would be six a side by halftime - Proper football :wink:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To be honest, I pity anyone who genuinely gets more joy from a last ditch tackle than a goal! Yes, we can all admire and appreciate great defending but nothing is better than seeing the ball hit the net.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yep, me. *raises hand*

In my very limited playing "career" I was a centre back and really enjoyed it. Most other kids wanted to beat people, score goals, take all the throw ins and free kicks. I just wanted to tackle, block, head and pass it to someone who could play.

Today I have been known to remark to my son during a game about the quality of a beautifully straight offside line, last minute tackle, the absolute shithousery of Veltman and even when we (but never the opposition) commit a "take one for the team" foul to stop a quick break at the risk of a yellow card. It does have to be us doing it though. :lolol:

It's one of the reasons I struggle with the current England team, as much as I'm an England fan. We have several high quality right backs when they're all fit and that's it. There have been some wonderful centre backs in international football in the past including England ones (Adams, Campbell, old clips of Bobby Moore).
Too many of the England 'defenders' don't seem to want to defend first, attack second. Stones is the prime example. He can't head the ball well under challenge and is often elsewhere when there's a shot to be blocked. That's fine playing for Citeh as they have the ball all the time, or when England are playing Andorra or San Marino, but I wouldn't trust him against a side like Croatia or Holland. Given that Southgate is never going to pick Dunk no matter what, I'd rather have Tarkowski and even Ben Mee - proper defenders.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I admired the real nutters who were old skool defenders:

Stuart Pearce - the best left back England have had since I've been following football. He also scored so many free-kicks and penalties with that deadly left foot. Gutted for him at Italia '90 when his penalty was saved against West Germany.

Julian Dicks - another left back but Julian was an absolute nutter. He got sent off nine times throughout his career but any wingers facing him used to shit themselves. A pity he was never capped at senior level by England.

Pat Van Den Hauwe - not just famous for wearing ladies underwear (maybe under his Tottenham or Millwall shirt), PVDH was a leader and had the usual nickname of Psycho.

Des Walker - unflappable under Brian Clough when he took defending to a new art. "You'll never beat Des Walker" sang the Nottingham Forest faithful. When he moved to Italy, his confidence was shot to pieces.

There's so many more iconic defenders throughout the eighties and nineties that were football geniuses, not least John Crumplin. :)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
One of the most memorable games I ever played in was up against a better side. We scored a goal totally against the run of play after about 20 minutes. I don't think we touched the ball in their half again. Although we didn't 'set up' defensively, we had no option but to defend valiantly for the rest of the game as they were just all over us. I was on the right wing, but spent nearly all my time in and around our penalty area.

Still don't know how we managed to win, but every tackle and last ditch lunge and clearance was uplifting to the rest of us.

Loved every moment of it.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Maldini, Billy Costacurta, Cannavaro... all fine players. None of them as good as Alessandro Nesta though.
I said a while back certain aspects of Lewis Dunk crop up in that montage, but Costacurta had such pace, and two feet and (along with the others you mention) made defending an art form all of its own ... that kind of artistry on a pitch, it’s a joy to behold.

Jul 7, 2003
One of the most memorable games I ever played in was up against a better side. We scored a goal totally against the run of play after about 20 minutes. I don't think we touched the ball in their half again. Although we didn't 'set up' defensively, we had no option but to defend valiantly for the rest of the game as they were just all over us. I was on the right wing, but spent nearly all my time in and around our penalty area.

Still don't know how we managed to win, but every tackle and last ditch lunge and clearance was uplifting to the rest of us.

Loved every moment of it.
We are cut from the same cloth. One of my teams won a cup final on penalties after keeping out the opposition for 120 minutes. In the two league games against them we had lost 10-0 and 8-1 so nobody expected us to even make a game of it. I was at centre back and hardly got to the half way line in the whole game but we stood firm and frustrated them. I was absolutely knackered by the end of the game but so proud of our achievement.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
In my very limited playing "career" I was a centre back and really enjoyed it. Most other kids wanted to beat people, score goals, take all the throw ins and free kicks. I just wanted to tackle, block, head and pass it to someone who could play.
I'm reading this as "I really enjoyed kicking people and pushing them over".
Which I'm totally down with, since that's how I always played football.
Up the centre halfs punk:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Everyone who loves a good defender should keep an eye on South Koreas Kim Min-Jae this tournament. He is currently the best central defender in the world, with quite a margin imho. Been absolutely monstrous for Napoli and a huge reason why they are still undefeated with 13 wins in 15 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here