Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Enjoyed this from Football365

7oaksgull

Jan 3, 2010
Sevenoaks, Kent
Brighton
A move finished by Brighton’s first ever Premier League signing and started, at the time of writing, by their last. The second-highest top-flight appearance maker in the club’s history combined indirectly with a player making his full debut to finally overcome Leeds.

It was a victory Brighton entirely deserved, secured by the player of the nascent Premier League season and contributed to by the weekend’s second most effective Estupinan. So in control of their own destiny are the Seagulls that the solitary goal they have conceded after four games was scored by themselves.

They are the envy of most clubs outside the current elite – and indeed perhaps at least one within that cabal. The supreme coaching of Graham Potter has been aligned with the sort of transfer mastery that makes you wonder why every team doesn’t just identify talent in under-scouted areas for cheap, invest time and money into developing them, sell them at a considerable profit and already have their replacement embedded in the squad.

None of it is even vaguely that simple, of course. Brighton just make it look as such.

Their starting XI against Leeds cost £65.3m in transfer fees and was signed from, in position order from goalkeeper to striker: Levante, Ajax, Bristol City, Independiente del Valle, Argentinos Juniors, Lewes, Villarreal, Ingolstadt, Genk and Watford, with an academy graduate thrown in for good measure.

These are selling clubs a certain level of team wouldn’t even consider looking at for fears that players would be unsuitable, not immediately ready and, frankly, not illustrious, prestigious or indulgent enough for executives or supporters. Brighton are content to take the time in polishing potential diamonds, aiding their growth and ultimately benefiting all parties.

That might ordinarily make them something of a stepping stone and truthfully their place far from the top of the food chain is established and embraced. But only a fool would willingly leave such green pastures right now and the mere suggestion that Potter might have his head turned by Aston Villa is as preposterous as it is hilarious.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a good read but it's a sign that we're no longer under the radar

But is that list is correct? My memory may be faulty here but wasn't Welbz a free agent when we signed up and not a Watford player?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
That is excellent. A writer that sees and understands the bigger picture.

I particularly enjoyed the sign off remarks about Villa. A cursory glance through Twitter reveals an astonishing level of delusion among Villa supporters who seem to feel that obtaining Potter’s services would be a formality.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ok. Hands up. Which NSC poster wrote that?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

But is that list is correct? My memory may be faulty here but wasn't Welbz a free agent when we signed up and not a Watford player?

Yes he was a free agent but I think they are using Watford as last club he played for rather than who we signed him from to further illustrate the point about how we look near and far for players.

They mention Dunk being an academy graduate but so is Sanchez even though we did technically sign him from Levante.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great report and level of detail there. The club really is doing things the right way.

I had a conversation with someone yesterday who suggested some of the millions from Bissouma and Cucurella should be SPAFFED on new players. When I asked who, they didn't have an answer. When I made it a bit easer and asked what position, they conceded they didn't really know where should be strengthened. The usual response would be up front, but my argument for ages has been if the midfielders and other 'forwards' are scoring, then investing mega millions on a gamble of a striker is absolutely pointless. #InGPottWeTrust

I was about to add a 'Not under the radar' comment too, [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION]. :lolol:

Dec 29, 2011
Yes he was a free agent but I think they are using Watford as last club he played for rather than who we signed him from to further illustrate the point about how we look near and far for players.

They mention Dunk being an academy graduate but so is Sanchez even though we did technically sign him from Levante.

Would people consider March an academy graduate?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Would people consider March an academy graduate?

Actually yes I think he is as he joined on a three year deal, the first two years were on a scholarship, when he was 17. He went into the youth squad at first before making the first team bench a few times in the 12-13 season (if I recall correctly).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Great report and level of detail there. The club really is doing things the right way.

I had a conversation with someone yesterday who suggested some of the millions from Bissouma and Cucurella should be SPAFFED on new players. When I asked who, they didn't have an answer. When I made it a bit easer and asked what position, they conceded they didn't really know where should be strengthened. The usual response would be up front, but my argument for ages has been if the midfielders and other 'forwards' are scoring, then investing mega millions on a gamble of a striker is absolutely pointless. #InGPottWeTrust

I was about to add a 'Not under the radar' comment too, [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION]. :lolol:
Although GP has said he wants a Welbeck type of forward in the door.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think he was under contract with Watford but both parties agreed to terminate, so he could find a new club and they could get him off their now Championship budget wage bill.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

I particularly enjoyed the sign off remarks about Villa. A cursory glance through Twitter reveals an astonishing level of delusion among Villa supporters who seem to feel that obtaining Potter’s services would be a formality.

When we played Villa at home last year I chatted to several fans who were universally convinced that Gerrard was a budding managerial genius and, for all that they admired Potter, knew he would rapidly be outshone by their very own messiah. At the time I nodded and suspected they were a bit deluded. Now I know they were.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Absolutely.
I think there are very few EPL clubs that would tempt Potter.
Certainly the likes of Everton ,Villa etc are sideways if not downwards.

I suspect he would only leave to take on another project.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Absolutely.
I think there are very few EPL clubs that would tempt Potter.
Certainly the likes of Everton ,Villa etc are sideways if not downwards.

I suspect he would only leave to take on another project.

But with only the 'right' ownership in place. As he said recently "money isn't everything"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The very idea of buying a £50 mill 'front man' and (you can guess the rest) is ludicrous. See the Gross interview posted elsewhere.

Far cough bw3/2/1 liftoff! Thudertwerps are GO!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When we played Villa at home last year I chatted to several fans who were universally convinced that Gerrard was a budding managerial genius and, for all that they admired Potter, knew he would rapidly be outshone by their very own messiah. At the time I nodded and suspected they were a bit deluded. Now I know they were.

Gerrard is old skool. Grumpybollox. No empathy. Can't see him having much of a career, let alone succeeding Clippety :eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here