Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English players aged under 21 used in just one per cent of Brighton league minutes

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Talking of England u21s I see they were humiliated last night. One Italy player made 76 more passes than any England player. Doesn't bode well for the future.

I wouldn't say humiliated! Had a perfectly good goal disallowed at 0-0.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
With injury time (as indicated by the fourth official)
Dunk - 523
Forster Caskey - 15
Barker -35

Team - 4602
x11 = 50622

573/50622*100 = 1.1319

So, adding injury time doesn't really make a difference to your point.

And this is a waste of a post.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
English players aged under 21 used in just one per cent of Brighton league minu

Bridders and Macca are English

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Still nobody has been able to convince me why the training facility will suddenly produce Premier League quality young footballers, from Sussex.

A building and pitches don't make the player.

All Monk's Farm will do is make us more attractive to foreign juniors, wishing to make it really big, really quick.
We will actually have facilities for youngsters to practise instead of a rabbit holed university field.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We will actually have facilities for youngsters to practise instead of a rabbit holed university field.

You may wish to tell that to the Africans and South Americans that produce far superior players than us, in far worse training conditions.

Look it helps, but quality staffing is key.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Still nobody has been able to convince me why the training facility will suddenly produce Premier League quality young footballers, from Sussex.

A building and pitches don't make the player.

All Monk's Farm will do is make us more attractive to foreign juniors, wishing to make it really big, really quick.

It will allow us to get a higher rating for our academy under EPP.

Also, it will allow the first team to prepare better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

It will allow us to get a higher rating for our academy under EPP.

Also, it will allow the first team to prepare better.
None of which answers the fundamental question:-

Why should a £105m facility suddenly be able to produce top flight players, from a county that has struggled to produce 4th tier footballers.

Lets not forget before Crawley we had the biggest catchment area for young talent, in the country.
It still only produced Garth Barry, thanks to Villa.

There seems to be the same trotted out spiel, that begins:-
'once Monk's Farm is built...'

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
From the looks of things, once the new training ground is built the club may be able to use it to attract top (ish) young talent from abroad and continue the trend started by the signings of Maksimenko et al.

Whether we ever see top young English talent produced from it as regularly as Palace etc seem to is another matter.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
From the looks of things, once the new training ground is built the club may be able to use it to attract top (ish) young talent from abroad and continue the trend started by the signings of Maksimenko et al.

Whether we ever see top young English talent produced from it as regularly as Palace etc seem to is another matter.

I think you have to be optimistic. It's not like Brighton are a club like Crewe who need to produce practically a whole team of youth products to survive. Whilst the level of investment (much like the Amex) seems a little high, it does seem as though TB is committed to this aspect of the club, and not just paying lip service to the idea of an academy. As such, I am sure he will invest heavily into the coaching aspect as well, which is of course as important as the pretty fixtures and fittings. It may take some years to begin to pay off, but for instance the sale of one Zaha could fund the Palace academy for over a decade.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think you have to be optimistic. It's not like Brighton are a club like Crewe who need to produce practically a whole team of youth products to survive. Whilst the level of investment (much like the Amex) seems a little high, it does seem as though TB is committed to this aspect of the club, and not just paying lip service to the idea of an academy. As such, I am sure he will invest heavily into the coaching aspect as well, which is of course as important as the pretty fixtures and fittings. It may take some years to begin to pay off, but for instance the sale of one Zaha could fund the Palace academy for over a decade.

Ok but the Palace Academy Facility is no more than average never anything other ..... a genuine desire to push kids through is critical.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
English players aged under 21 used in just one per cent of Brighton league minu

Neither are under 21. Since both have chosen Scotland as their national team, I don't know if they'd be included as English players.

Doh! Didnt think about the under 21 part lol

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
None of which answers the fundamental question:-

Why should a £105m facility suddenly be able to produce top flight players, from a county that has struggled to produce 4th tier footballers.

Lets not forget before Crawley we had the biggest catchment area for young talent, in the country.
It still only produced Garth Barry, thanks to Villa.

There seems to be the same trotted out spiel, that begins:-
'once Monk's Farm is built...'

Building a facility will contribute next to naff all from youth unless the structure and coaches around it are in place (and stable). Look at Derby, Moor Farm was built about 12 years ago and while we produce the odd player (always have produce the 'odd' player), it's only in the last 4.5 years that there's been a stable coaching and scouting structure and haven't had incumbent manager taking control and bringing in his people to run it - hey presto, players are coming through.....

Same argument for St Georges Park, all this fanfare about what it's going to do for English football but without the coaching? nah....

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I think coaching is important but not critical... do people think Messi is the best player in the world because he had good coaches? I think it's more down to the player himself. The best teacher in the world, in the most well-equipped classroom, will still struggle to impart anything on a student who doesn't already have the right mental attributes.

My point is: what motivates players? Is it competitive desire or money? We all know in England they are paid huge sums, and once your wages go above a certain point, and once you realise you're 'set for life', I imagine it's quite easy to coast through the rest of your career, and enjoy the fact that you're becoming a millionaire to play football. I think this is what actually sets apart decent footballers from the best in the world. Having a good training pitch will help, and having a good coach will help, but it's all meaningless if you're not actually playing for the right reasons in the first place.

Another thing I disagree with is the use of stats like this, because I don't accept that age is too important. The number of times the Earth orbits the sun shouldn't determine the potential in a footballer, it is simply a vague indicator of mental maturity, which has a far more direct influence on drive and work ethic. Just because someone is young it doesn't mean they aren't ready (imagine if Rooney or Owen were told to "wait their turn"), and just because someone is comparatively old (e.g. 25) it doesn't mean that they have, with certainty, already peaked. Basing the entire argument on such an arbitrary parameters as "age" is bound to lead to misleading conclusions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here