Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English Folk Music brought up to date

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
This is a genre that I've never really been into, but in the last issue of Songlines magazine I saw that two English Folk albums had made it into the World Music chart.

I decided that I'd give them a listen and ordered them online, the first being Seth Lakemans "Poor mans heaven" which has the following review on Amazon

"Seth Lakeman's fourth solo album, Poor Man’s Heaven, moves him ever closer to the mainstream, his frantic fiddle playing backed with a small, tight band fully aware of the power they generate. But the Dartmoor-based folk singer still digs into local folklore for material. The pounding opener "The Hurlers" refers to an ancient stone formation in Cornwall, while "Solomon Browne" commemorates the more recent loss with all hands of the Penlee lifeboat - Lakeman knew some of the bereaved as a schoolboy. The jaunty "Race To Be King" features maybe the loudest Jew’s harp ever recorded, while Kathryn Roberts' haunting backing vocals on "Cherry Red Girl" add depth . The title track though is the giveaway, a blatant and undeniably effective reminder that Led Zeppelin defined the heavy folk-rock crossover decades ago. Lakeman yelps like a West Country Robert Plant, sounding like a man with stadia in his sights"

Seth Lakeman

The second album was the incredible "The Imagined Village" with the following review in Songlines;

"It's a brilliant idea - to reinterpret traditional English folk song for a multicultural 21st century society... Almost everything on this bold and ambitious album works... A breathtakingly imaginative record that is sure to become an English folk-rock landmark... The Imagined Village finally offers English roots music a meaningful new destination"

The Imagined Village

I can honestly say that I haven't been so moved by music for a long, long time. The opening track on Imagined Village features a short monologue about the Copper Family from Rottingdean and how songs have been passed from generation to generation. It's probably the first time I have heard a true Sussex accent.

If would be great if anyone can recommend other albums in this genre.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
If you like Seth Lakeman, check out his album Kitty Jay form a few years back, excellent.

a short monologue about the Copper Family from Rottingdean and how songs have been passed from generation to generation.
Years ago, I remember John Copper admitting to having learned one of the family's very well known songs at primary school - only later did he discover that it had been collected from his own great grandfather and put into the school curriculum by whoever compiled the book that found its way on to the shelves of schools all over the country.

You could try Kate Rusby as well - worth a listen. "Folk" music, is like "Country" - there is cack as well as diamonds within though I guess that could be said about most genres (except reggae which is all cack IMHO).

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
And,of course,there's the burgeoning Folk Festival scene,with Sidmouth and Swanage local "biggies".All you need is a half pint pewter mug to hang from your rucksack,and the ability to put your right index finger in your right ear and your left index to block your left nostril,and sing GOSBTS in a Sussex dialect.

And you're in!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
I love Noah and the Whale ... but is it really folk?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Hello,

I hope it's okay for me to post here, I'm not Kneon Light, I'm his wife.

Anyway, individual tracks you might like (I do) available on emusic, itunes etc:
"London Town" by Bellowhead
"Rolling Sea" by Eliza Carthy
"All You Pretty Girls" by Jim Moray
"Dog & Gun" by Bella Hardy
"Kitty Jay" off Seth Lakeman's earlier album
"Grey Galito" by Salsa Celtica
"The Murder of Maria Marten" by Shirley Collins (a Sussex lady I believe) & The Albion Country Band (an auspicious name :))

An acquired taste if you're new to folk music, but well worth it, is Martin Carthy's first album "Martin Carthy"

I'd recommend Bellowhead. Their new album might be hard to get into, but their first album "Burlesque" is a masterpiece. See them live if you can.

A rather excellent newish band from Maidstone is Wheeler Street. Look for them on youtube, or check out "Child Owlet" off their myspace page, or listen to "worst woman" from their webpage Wheeler Street or go to a gig. They're great fun live.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here