Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

English Bands v Scottish/Irish bands

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Scottish: Simple Minds
Irish: U2
English: Chas n Dave
Why such a down on English bands? Yes, sure, there have been (and are) some cracking Scottish and Irish bands, but I would suggest that the English can offer a lot more than Chas and Dave.

How about, for starters, The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, The Small Faces, Pink Floyd, The Damned, The Clash, The Stranglers, Dire Straits, Fairport Convention, The Oyster Band, Kaiser Chiefs, New Order, Oasis, Blur, Foals, The Editors ... ... ... ... .... not too dusty, eh?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Why such a down on English bands? Yes, sure, there have been (and are) some cracking Scottish and Irish bands, but I would suggest that the English can offer a lot more than Chas and Dave.

How about, for starters, The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, The Small Faces, Pink Floyd, The Damned, The Clash, The Stranglers, Dire Straits, Fairport Convention, The Oyster Band, Kaiser Chiefs, New Order, Oasis, Blur, Foals, The Editors ... ... ... ... .... not too dusty, eh?

The Rolling Stones, The Stone Roses, The Smiths, Coldplay...............we English are truly blessed. Chas n Dave are right up there in my opinion, but I would have to admit The Beatles are better in all honesty.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I meet many many music fans on my travels and when they realise I'm from the UK at some point, pretty much without fail, I will be told/or asked about how, the U.K. can consistently produce such great music and in such endless amounts. When you actually think about it...it is really really is incredible. Apologies for repeating myself but this is worth saying.

It is indeed.

Don't think I've ever seen anything particularly deep and meaningful about why this should be so. Is it because the UK shares a common language with the US and in the beginning were able to assimilate and build on their R&R explosion of the 50s? Certainly you can go to France even now and be faced with a jukebox over-represented with Johnny Hallyday and Sylvie Vartan. With honourable exceptions, German bands mainly sound like they're coughing up phlegm. ¿Spain? ¡Nada! Not to over-generalise or anything :moo:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Scotland is strong music wise.

Biffy Clyro (up to Puzzle, that is)
Idlewild
Mull Historical Society
Chvrches
Belle & Sebastian
Dananananaykroyd
Boards of Canada
Amy Macdonald
Teenage Fanclub
My Latest Novel
The Reindeer Section

Against

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Kinks, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Clash

and if you wanted to include individuals

Eric Clapton, Elton John, Kate Bush, Paul Weller.....

As with Scottish football Scottish bands are lightweight and minnows in terms of international status

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As with Scottish football Scottish bands are lightweight and minnows in terms of international status

They may not have the biggest names but they've had some hugely influential bands...Cocteau Twins for instance. It's not stadium rock but there's nothing minnow about them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Rolling Stones, The Stone Roses, The Smiths, Coldplay...............we English are truly blessed. Chas n Dave are right up there in my opinion, but I would have to admit The Beatles are better in all honesty.

Against

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Who, Kinks, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Clash

Just pause and look at these names. Mad isn't it? And we could all rattle off another 100 each.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
not my cup of tea but surprised the Undertones or Cranberries haven't been mentioned

a Scottish band I used to really like were Positive Noise from the early 80s

honouarable mention for Gary Moore

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Against

I kind of agree, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Glasgow electro-pop poppets Chvrches are clearly trying very very hard to break America. They seem to spend most of their year on the road there. They must be really knackered. Bigger UK bands than them, Oasis notably, have tried and failed. It's a hard old slog. Just takes one perfectly positioned single tho eh? Can see them finishing solidly Middle America mid-table like, say, Garbage, with a very loyal longtime following. Speaking of Garbage, hasn't Edinburgh's Shirley Manson had the best and most unlikely of career paths?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I heard Gene Simmons talking on Radio 2, this morning on this very subject.
He found it hard to believe that a country as relatively small as ours, had produced the vast amount of musical talent that we have, punching far above our weight.

Oh, and England v Scotland? David Bowie
Thread closed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here