Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England world cup boycott on 2018 / 22, anyone up for it?

England World Cup Boycott?

• Stupid idea it will do nothing but damage us?

Votes: 29 21.6%
  • We may as well, FIFA can stick it

Votes: 105 78.4%

• Total voters

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think what continues to stagger me most about Fifa is not just the fact that they're corrupt. Corruption is not a new thing, sadly it exists all over the world in all sorts of forms.

But it is the breath-taking arrogance that they will get away with it, that they think they're untouchable and above any law and norms, and the way they treat everyone like fools. Amazingly, no one is taking them down.

Somewhere, probably in Switzerland, there are people with the 'smoking gun' evidence that can f**k Fifa up for good. And they must be thinking about it, even if the motive is the selfish one of saving themselves with an amnesty.
This. I really don't understabd how they continue to get away with it either. I did read a book about them once and it seemed everything was mostly audited in private but it's ome of the other alleged stuff that you just don't see how they can continue to get away with it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Didn't Jack Warner get offended cos the F.A. only offered his missus a Burberry handbag as a bribe?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
A unilateral boycott would be a waste of time and benefit no one. The best thing for the UK to do is to not rest until the truth is rooted out. We need some sort of journalistic pact with the USA and Australia - who have also been shafted by FIFA - to uncover the truth.

The death of the workers in Qatar already affords the opportunity to retake the moral high ground - this is an absolute scandal.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The reason FIFA hate us so much is that they have got away with it for so many years and we are now calling them out! Russia and Qatar and all their crony nations are endimically corrupt nations and you get nothing without bribing the right people. For all of Englands faults one of the things we are still better at than most is fairness and justice and we hate to see those basic tenets of society abused. Can you imagine going into your local police station, court, council offices or indeed any public institution and having to routinely bribe someone to get the decision/result you want? The vast majority of people in this country still uphold those basic values of fairness and would look at you like you were mental if you tried it on. Im glad i still live in a society where for the most part the cancer of corruption has not infected everyday life. Screw you Blatter & FIFA.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the Football Associations have evidence of systemic corruption then they are duty-bound to pursue it relentlessly. We invented the game, so for that reason it is our baby and the FA is the ultimate guardian of the sport, we have that moral responsibility not to let this rest.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Didn't Jack Warner get offended cos the F.A. only offered his missus a Burberry handbag as a bribe?

And a friendly away against Trinidad and Tobago. Not that that was a form of bribery or anything - our players clearly needed the experience and test of playing against such a big footballing nation away from home. See Thailand away friendly, which was then in a completely unrelated move cancelled after they failed to vote for us.

Just because England's bribery wasn't as clear as some of the other bids, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Our FA and parliamentarians like to skip over that when possible

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I can't believe that it's only the English FA that have a problem with how FIFA is run. You would have thought that most UEFA members would want the matter resolved. It's a shame they don't conspire to boycott the world cup. A continent taking action really would have an impact.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The only way it would make any difference is if several of the major nations boycotted. We are insignificant on our own, the way I see it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
And a friendly away against Trinidad and Tobago. Not that that was a form of bribery or anything - our players clearly needed the experience and test of playing against such a big footballing nation away from home. See Thailand away friendly, which was then in a completely unrelated move cancelled after they failed to vote for us.

Just because England's bribery wasn't as clear as some of the other bids, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Our FA and parliamentarians like to skip over that when possible

How wrong some some people be, We were the only country invited to play Trinidad and Tobago as part of the centenary events to mark Independence from the UK. The so called bribery was sanctioned by FIFA before we went, we were the only country to fully divulge all our information unlike Russia who claim they gave all their computers back and have no records saved or paperwork.... come on its clear that FIFA have it in for the FA time to tell them to FECK OFF

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Oh dear FIFA this could get messy for them :clap:

It has been getting messy for them with two major sponsors withdrawing their money, or saying they are. Let's hope all of them tell Blatter and his bunch of corrupt wayne kerrs to feck off. God I hate the bloody swear filter-it's at times like this that only profanities sum up the mood of the nation.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If the Football Associations have evidence of systemic corruption then they are duty-bound to pursue it relentlessly. We invented the game, so for that reason it is our baby and the FA is the ultimate guardian of the sport, we have that moral responsibility not to let this rest.

Sadly, a Blatter and cronies controlled FIFA has virtually eliminated any influence the FA once had in World Football. We are no longer guardians of the game in their eyes, rather, we are the moany neighbours pissed off by corruption and croneyism.

Dec 29, 2011
An 'unofficial' world cup could be hosted in France, Germany, UK, USA and a few other countries with only a year or two preparation. The infrastructure is already in place. Get 10 top nations to join, the sponsors will be clamoring to get involved, and then the rest of the nations will come. Won't happen though, FIFA have too many threats up their sleeve for the respective football authorities of each nation.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
A good start would be for ALL England Supporters to stay away from FIFA and UEFA tournaments. The FA should decline all ticket offers which would be a boycott but not one that they could kick us out of competitions for. Get the Dutch to do the same and that would be a lot of free spending fans not going.

Sadly, there would be many England fans who would go anyway so that idea is probably a non-starter.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't believe that it's only the English FA that have a problem with how FIFA is run. You would have thought that most UEFA members would want the matter resolved. It's a shame they don't conspire to boycott the world cup. A continent taking action really would have an impact.

Nobody can be bothered to drill down far enough to get the evidence to prove the corruption. It's unpopular, costly and time-consuming, FIFA themselves are adamant they're clean and there's no outside party who have any jurisdiction or are able to police it.

Ordinarily a good tack would be to get the corrupt on tax evasion charges but that is a logistical nightmare and the amounts are trivial in the grand scheme of things.

The only way things will change will be to get a whistleblower to bring the thing crashing down.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
A boycott by England alone would be pointless. We would need a Brazil, a Germany or an Argentina to join us. Hardly likely.

Sponsors withdrawing their support is the only way FIFA would change.

It's about time some of these sponsors asked themselves if the really want to be associated with FIFA .

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A boycott by England alone would be pointless. We would need a Brazil, a Germany or an Argentina to join us. Hardly likely.

Sponsors withdrawing their support is the only way FIFA would change.

It's about time some of these sponsors asked themselves if the really want to be associated with FIFA .

Money does talk and a wholesale corporate boycott to the point anyone involved with FIFA would be have their brand heavily tarnished would a game changer

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Im up for a boycott....I won't be going to Russia or Qatar, I'll make do with watching it on the box, I'm also boycotting the next Ashes in Australia.

If England staged a boycott FIFA would make sure the television rights were unavailable so you would have to watch an illegal stream from a dodgy website registered in Tuvalu :lolol:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Sadly the only thing that would make FIFA relent and clean up their stables would be a deprivation of their income stream. That requires sponsors to withdraw their support and a sizeable number of nations withdrawing from the organisation and, ideally, setting up an alternative tournament to split TV rights monies.

I can't see it happening but would love it if it did and would have no problem with the English FA taking a lead on it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here