Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England women v Japan women

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I don't know what they were thinking of in the first place, it's men's work to make me feel sad when I look upon grass on television.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Deffo no penalty, but can I take this opportunity to say that it is refreshing to see that when the officials make their decisions, good or bad that the ladies accept it and just get on with the game. No bad mouthing, no back chatting, just an acceptance and getting on with playing football.

I know we are all supposed to go along with this, and the whole 'men footballers bad, lady footballers good' thing, but that's nonsense. The England defenders were moaning at the ref for a good minute or two after the Japan penalty decision - that's why it took ages for it to be taken. Plus the England penalty was a shocking dive - Ashley Young would be getting absolutely slated in the press if he'd done that.

All that said, England should have won this game. Played really well last twenty, and deserved to score. The winning goal was a freak, and I think the assesment that she 'went with her wrong foot' above, is very harsh - of course it WAS her wrong foot, but that was because she was at full stretch and that's how her stride pattern was when she was compelled to make the desperate lunge - if she'd taken another step, in order to go with her left, she wouldn't have cut it out at all.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The winning goal was a freak, and I think the assesment that she 'went with her wrong foot' above, is very harsh - of course it WAS her wrong foot, but that was because she was at full stretch and that's how her stride pattern was when she was compelled to make the desperate lunge - if she'd taken another step, in order to go with her left, she wouldn't have cut it out at all.

Spot on. Sometimes you just have to do your best with what you've got in front of you, she simply didn't have another option available to her and the luck was just against her this time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The winning goal was a freak, and I think the assesment that she 'went with her wrong foot' above, is very harsh - of course it WAS her wrong foot, but that was because she was at full stretch and that's how her stride pattern was when she was compelled to make the desperate lunge - if she'd taken another step, in order to go with her left, she wouldn't have cut it out at all.

I disagree with that, she should have slid and blocked or cleared with her left, if she gets anything on it the danger's over.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
That sliced/misdirected pass from which we conceded an absurd corner midway through the second half you can deride the England player for, but not the winning o.g.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here