Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] England when it comes to the crunch

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
A key moment for me was when an Italian player (not sure who) went down "injured" and was treated on the pitch for a few minutes while his shattered knee was replaced but Mancini was able to talk to the rest of the players and change the system. Up to then we had looked dangerous on the break. After that they took control.
I thought Southgate should have made some changes after they equalised.
Yeah, I was thinking exactly that. Southgate has done so SO much right and the entire England set up is infinitely better than it was when he took over - but when it comes down to game management he's still got an awful lot to learn. If they'd swapped managers before kick-off we'd have won.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In a well known toxic anti player/media battle of wits that was no good to anyone.

At least Southgate has changed the culture which gives us all far more hope of success

Southgate has got almost everything right and is the best since those in the 90's Sir Bobby, El Tel and Hoddle. The one thing he lacks is tactical nous or the ability to change a game adequately in game time.

Mancini was a winner as player a winner as a manager, and he outwitted Southgate in the game (taking off Imobile and paying Insigne as a false 9), Southgate dint quite know what to do and we ended up as 2 banks of 5 just punting the ball away like Hughton in his last few games. We're much better than that, our players are better than that, being able to see whats happening and make the right choices in game time, too often evades Southgate.

No problem against the WC qualifying group minnows, as soon as we run into decent opposition at the business end of KO tournament we look tactically inept. Oh for a Southgate figure with Mancini tactical ability.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've heard no racism from English people about last night. Absolutely no doubt it will be trolls from other countries abusing the players online.

Absolutely no way in hell any penalty misser will be booed at the amex this season.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I never broke your windows
I never broke your rules
I never took to your tender ventetta
I didn't touch you family jewels
Revenge is a strong emotion
Friction is the mother of pearl
It's a disapproving, disappointing, disappearing world

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I disagree with you. Sitting on a 1-0 lead for two hours IS the very dictionary definition of excruciating,.i.e. very awkward or tedious / intensely painful.

It shreds the nerves, it raises the blood pressure, it is stressful and at the same time frustrating, illogical. We were the home team, 1-0 up and we sat back.

Terry Butcher may not have been a successful manager, but he was Bobby Robson's England captain and led by example, and at least in 1990 we gave it a real good go from start to finish against top quality German side. Platt, Gascoigne, Waddle, Beardsley, Lineker and 2 attacking wing-backs in Pearce and Parker - equally as brave as this "fearless" generation we hear so much about, if not more so.

Maybe we sat back, maybe not, but I simply didn't care. I enjoyed the game. I was disappointed by the result. As in, just disappointed. I have barely thought about the game today. :shrug:

As for Butcher, no, he was a plodder in a modest England side flawed by the club factionism and all the other unprofessional crap that is now a rare thing rather than the relenless norm. Butcher bleating the radio-friendly version of 'get into them, **** them up' gets nowhere near justifying the 'may not have been a successful manager, but' mantra. Butcher is yet another bloke who thinks that just because he was a player (of sorts) back in the day this qualifies him to call out the England manager. I think not.

I guess I learned today that I have a passionate attachment to The Albion that simply doesn't exist for England.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
I disagree with you. Sitting on a 1-0 lead for two hours IS the very dictionary definition of excruciating,.i.e. very awkward or tedious / intensely painful.

It shreds the nerves, it raises the blood pressure, it is stressful and at the same time frustrating, illogical. We were the home team, 1-0 up and we sat back.

Terry Butcher may not have been a successful manager, but he was Bobby Robson's England captain and led by example, and at least in 1990 we gave it a real good go from start to finish against top quality German side. Platt, Gascoigne, Waddle, Beardsley, Lineker and 2 attacking wing-backs in Pearce and Parker - equally as brave as this "fearless" generation we hear so much about, if not more so.
hit the nail on the head. It was tedious watching.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
We break the cycle by repeatedly building our hopes up after a few wins against the teams we should be beating, constantly re releasing Three Lions and mumbling " Its Coming Home "...then, lose and smash up anyone and anything that gets in the way.... And repeat.
... and saying, "Well, there is always next time."

Unfortunately, the next one is in another continent, and against even better teams.

Our best chance of winning a trophy was on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
If Italy had played like us in the 2nd half, in a final,in Rome and lost

Their team would have been pelted with rotten tomatoes

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
After the stunning start and the following 15 mins I spent quite a bit of time whatsapping mates and only looking up when the commentators got excited or the crowd excitement volume increased. I was gripped by the penalties, so yeah I guess I’d also say it was a tedious uninspiring game after 15 mins. My not very into football wife kept asking me why I wasn’t watching and shouting at Kane

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can’t stand managers that bottle big games and Southgate is one of them, annoying as he is Grealish was walking through the Italians why he didn’t come on earlier was unbelievable.

As for the pens you want your best taker on the fifth one, Saka couldn’t find any form when he came on and he’s on the fifth :facepalm: with Pickford saving the pens we should of won forget the racism for a bit Rashford clearly wasn’t confident, Sancho hit a crap pen and then Saka’s was a carbon copy.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
I can’t stand managers that bottle big games and Southgate is one of them, annoying as he is Grealish was walking through the Italians why he didn’t come on earlier was unbelievable.

As for the pens you want your best taker on the fifth one, Saka couldn’t find any form when he came on and he’s on the fifth :facepalm: with Pickford saving the pens we should of won forget the racism for a bit Rashford clearly wasn’t confident, Sancho hit a crap pen and then Saka’s was a carbon copy.
took the words out of my mouth. Good post.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bizarrely the only brave thing Southgate did in the game was to let three kids take penalties, which in retrospect was as foolish as it was brave.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

I think having so much in England's favour for the tournament added to the pressure Southgate felt. This pressure meant that he became more cautious and fearful through the tournament, resulting in brain freeze at the crucial time of penalties.

I honestly believe if he'd changed to a back 4 at half time instead of after they'd scored and brought on Grealish, we would have won.

For me, one of the best squads in the tournament with massive home advantage and one of the worst managers.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
A passionate crowd behind England. Some Trippier magic, an early goal. But gradually the momentum begins to swing. The opposition equalise midway through the second half and then extra time heartbreak.

The stats paint a bleak picture. The opposition have 3 times as many shots on goal than us and a lot more possession, we only muster 2 shots on target in 2 hours of football.

We could have been braver, but lessons will be learned.

I am, of course, talking about losing to Croatia in the 2018 WC semi-final.

So how are we going to break this cycle?

Southgate needs to learn from his mistakes i.e. not play so defensively when we have world class attacking players that can petrify aging/lower standard defenders. Pressuring the ball worked against Italy but we stopped doing it after scoring and only did it again in the first half of extra time. Both times it was working and we were winning back possession.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Any of you Crawley based Albion fans signed this petition for a statue for Southgate in Crawley?

What can I say that doesn't sound really disrespectful? I guess if Crawley residents want a statue of him that's fine :shrug:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/gareth-southgate-statue-crawley-174724

A petition for a statue of Harry Kane at Wembley has been rejected by the FA who have suggested fans can just watch a replay of his second half performance against Italy instead.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Southgate needs to learn from his mistakes i.e. not play so defensively when we have world class attacking players that can petrify aging/lower standard defenders. Pressuring the ball worked against Italy but we stopped doing it after scoring and only did it again in the first half of extra time. Both times it was working and we were winning back possession.

Sounds all to familiar to the bloody Croatia semi final eh.....
I don't think he learnt from that game at all, we clearly needed a change at half time, he crossed his fingers and reacted far too late.

Qatar will be a right off guaranteed, nailed on a south american team will cope with the heat even in November so much better.
Anyway Qatar is a world cup that can do one anyway, it will forever be sullied with corruption.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here