Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

England vs South Africa 4th Test Old Trafford 4th-8th August 2017

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I checked it.

Lyth made his single Test 100 in one of two Tests against NZ.

He then played the entire 2015 Ashes series scoring 111 runs in 9 innings, at an average of 12.3

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It was against New Zealand he got a century.

The Aussies had him worked out and he scored a total of 111 runs in 9 innings and was then rightly discarded.

Not all Yorkshire players are of test quality, whatever you and Colin Graves might say.

I stand corrected...I don't know why Hans didn't pick me up on that...oops just seen the above post...my day is complete.:thumbsup:

Of course they are all good enough to play for England...that goes without saying! Although I do draw the line at ballance, who everyone seems to have worked him Out!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Root has come out and backed Jennings, while I can't see Malan being dropped after 1 test.

I fancy both will play and if they accumulate more than 100 runs in the match between them I'll be surprised.

For a time there England were spoiled with a conveyor belt of batting talent, but since KP imploded and Trott went loco we've struggled. James Taylor looked like he might be the man. Hameed and Jennings both need more time to sort out their technique and get some county runs under their belts. If Malan was all that he'd have been picked a lot earlier than now - the likes of Vince and Duckett got ahead of him in the queue and have already been discarded.

England have been carrying 2 batsmen since the retirement of Strauss and if they want to return to No. 1 in the world they need Westley to be the real deal and someone like Robson to do a job until one of Hameed / Jennings have got their shit together.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Having gone to the land of the Long White Cloud my initial thoughts were Dunedin - it is host to a colony of penguins which even Manchester can't lay claim to!

Auckland is wetter but Dunedin makes Manchester feel like Calcutta on a warmer day than usual.

Dunedin hasn't had that many Tests (Even if you combine Carisbrook and the new ground together). But there have been abandoned matches due to.... rain. I reckon, as a percentage of appointed hours play, you're on a winner with that one.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Time to bounce this thread

Weather looks OK for days 1-3 but not good after that.

I wonder if that will influence the tactics adopted, if England win toss then bat once and bat big knowing a draw is OK to win the series?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Steve James in The Times says an unchanged side. Interesting to see what the outfield is actually like - Root saying it's under prepared after all the rain and concerts that have been going on and fielders need to be 'streetwise' on it.

James Anderson will be bowling from The James Anderson End too. :bowdown:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Faf du Plessis is a useless tosser, England elect to bat.

England team confirmed as unchanged.

Philander and Morris are both unfit, Olivier and du Bruyn replace them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
An optimistic 86/1 at lunch.

I'll take NINE in the Jennings sweepstake.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Time to bounce this thread

Weather looks OK for days 1-3 but not good after that.

I wonder if that will influence the tactics adopted, if England win toss then bat once and bat big knowing a draw is OK to win the series?

Isnt that usually rhe best tactics especially at Old Trafford when a draw is sufficient to win the series. So lerts go and get 350+ then see what happens.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Just to confirm the line-ups:

England 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Keaton Jennings, 3 Tom Westley, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Dawid Malan, 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Toby Roland-Jones, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson

South Africa 1 Dean Elgar, 2 Heino Kuhn, 3 Hashim Amla, 4 Quinton de Kock (wk), 5 Faf du Plessis, 6 Temba Bavuma, 7 Theunis de Bruyn, 8 Keshav Maharaj, 10 Kagiso Rabada, 10 Duanne Olivier, 11 Morne Morkel

KK Jennings c. de Kock b. Rabada 37

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Cook didn't lay a bat on any of Morkel's first 6 deliveries despite trying several times.

Certainly a bit of life in this OT wicket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here